Metal to plastic fuel tank swap issue - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Metal to plastic fuel tank swap issue
Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:24 PM
So im swapping out my metal fuel tank from my 97 to a 00 plastic tank. Couple of issues.

1. I noticed my metal tank's filler neck ON the tank is bigger in diameter than the one on the plastic tank. Now I know I can go to autozone and get the right hose, but that doesnt change the size of the hardline coming from the filler on the side of the car. How do I fix this?

2. On the metal tank there is an extra tube beside the filler tube that I think is a vent tube, yet the plastic tank does not have this. Do I also have to swap out the filler neck on the side of the car where gas goes in on my 97 to to the 00+ to eliminate that line?

Thanks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Metal to plastic fuel tank swap issue
Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:29 PM
I was going to do this but never did.I remember those problems. What I was going to do was weld vent tube onto 00 filler so that you can vent the old way instead of using that vacuum box vent the newer cavs have that solves fill and vent problem or maybe can use old 97 filler and assembly and reduce to the tank filler neck.Also pretty sure you have to use extra heat sheild from 00 car because of exhaust by plastic tank.Hope that helps
Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:16 PM
I was looking to help with this however I swapped all off the 05 eco that I had... sorry

Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:54 PM
On the same subject, got a 98 sunfire with a 01 plastic tank, looking to put 1998 pump in plastic tank, can this be done?
Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:53 PM
Yes, you will have to use the lock ring from the plastic tank, but trim it so the electrical connectors on the older pump fit inside it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search