TTR lower engine mount install problems.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TTR lower engine mount install problems..
Friday, September 19, 2008 9:18 AM
what's up JBO? thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer...

I'm running an 02 cavalier z24 - automatic. I recently got the upper and lower TTR engine mounts..got the upper mount installed with no problems. However, the lower engine mount doesn't seem to fit..is there some trick to get it to go in? It seems to be like an inch too big????? I hate to think that I won't be able to use it.. Just with the upper Engine Mount the car feels a LOT BETTER. But i also wanted that extra torque the combo would give me...

What's up??? What am I doing wrong??

JBO is the shyt.

Re: TTR lower engine mount install problems..
Friday, September 19, 2008 9:20 AM
do you have it turned around? get a rubber mallet and hammer it in there. it takes a little force to get it.

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Friday, September 19, 2008 9:33 AM
hmmm...

I thought both sides were the same...

so just force it in??

JBO is the shyt.
Friday, September 19, 2008 9:42 AM
wait....you mean the dog bone?

when you take the old one out, the bottom of the engine will swing, most likely towards the firewall. get a jack under the pan with a board on top of it, and gently jack the motor up then use the jack to pull the oil pan forward until the holes line up.

I have never heard of the TTR mounts, or any others not fitting properly.

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:42 AM
ok, ok....

but i've got the top one installed. does that matter at all?-will it be harder to install the lower engine mount now sorta thing?? or it really doesn't matter?

thanks again

JBO is the shyt.
Friday, September 19, 2008 11:54 AM
On the lower mount, one side is wider than the other side. It does fit in snug, but not 1" snug

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, September 19, 2008 12:08 PM
take a crescent wrench, a larger one your going to need leverage...

right in the area where the mount goes size up the crescent wrench (like a 1/4 inch) to the steel bracket that holds the mount. this the the piece that has the tow hook built in.

what you want to do is put the CW on it and bend it outward every so slightly.

i fought my rk sport mount for like 2 hours when i first got it 6 years ago and could not figure the damn thing out. my dad crawled under there and spent less then a minute and had the damn thing in.

ohhh and use a nice BFH (big ******** hammer), not some pussy ass tiny one to pound it in.

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Friday, September 19, 2008 1:54 PM
z yaaaa wrote:

ohhh and use a nice BFH (big ******** hammer), not some pussy ass tiny one to pound it in.

not a bad idea unless you have the aluminum one or a powder caoted one you of all people know that haha.

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:17 PM
Yeah, take a CW and pry the bracket open a bit, when you put in the bolt, it will pull everything back together.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:21 AM
I never had a problem with the dog bone mount witrh the install. When I had to install a GM stocker dog mount it too mee forever to get that one in. Should be able use 2x4 piece of wood with a 40oz hammer it in should pop it right in.

Good Luck.
Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:11 AM
yup yup. i got it.

thanks guys.

the car runs GREAT with the TTR combo..
but damn the vibrations at idle!

JBO is the shyt.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:17 AM
Shhhh. You'll learn to love the vibrations.

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:58 PM
Im having the same problem now that Im installing my TTR lower mount. TeamForward motion site looks long dead, so I have no clue on what to do. I was hammering the thing in for two hours and just dented the paint on the mount. Now I know one side is longer than the other and I tried to bend the metal brackets with a crescent wrench to fit the mount, but it just wont squeeze in. Ive also noticed that the metal sleeves inside the bushings on the larger side seem to stick out of the bushings. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:11 PM
should be snug going in, but I never had any trouble. was the old one a pain to get out? make sure the engine is kept level. check to see if the bracket may have gotten pinched / bent somehow. A sacrificial screwdriver helps when you get the hole close enough for finial alignment.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:22 PM
Update: Its in and I love the feel and vibs from it. But let me tell you, this was no walk in the park as some people make it out to be. My Lower mount came with metal pins that were a bit too long to even fit snuggly in the bushings, so I filed them down to size. After that ordeal, I took a crescent wrench, spread the metal bracket out a bit and started to hit with my deadly combo (Hammer+block of wood). An hour later and a prybar to align the holes and that TTR mount was in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search