Running 2.3 valvetrain - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Running 2.3 valvetrain
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:38 AM
I researched and its said to run 2.3 springs, retainers, with 2.4 valves and locks.

Now my machine shop is asking what height to have the valves at? Either 2.3 or 2.4 spec????

Is it possible to run 2.3 valves on a head? With machine work of coarse?

GMR has got nothing on this

Re: Running 2.3 valvetrain
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:34 PM
height the valves all the same for LD9 spec and use installed hieght on springs at 1.437.

2.3 springs, 2.3 retainers. thats it... everything else is LD9.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:31 PM
Okay sweet thanks Brad. I just got off the phone with them and they verified it and said yes. So now i just gotta drop off the springs and retainers.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:36 AM
Just as an update, i got the head back. Guys at the machine shop stated they had to use all 2.4 parts to run the 2.3 springs.

They stated the 2.4 valve stems are skinnier than the quad. So they said they could not use ld9 retainers. That the locks and retainers should match the valve.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:44 PM
thats exactly what i said lol

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:05 PM
2.3 springs and retainers, locks from 2.4 is how most do it.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:27 PM
Sorry let me rephrase that....they said they could not use 2.3 retainers.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:31 PM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Sorry let me rephrase that....they said they could not use 2.3 retainers.

To add to that.....again all 2.4 parts except the 2.3 springs. So bascially just swapping out the stock LD9 springs for some LGO Vin A springs.

I told them i wanted to run 2.3 retainers but again they stated it was not possible since the 2.4 valves are too skinny.

Anyways i just bought some copper spray. Hold is getting bolted on.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:21 AM
That is odd. The valves are thinner and the 2.3 retainers do sit up higher on the valve, but they do fit secure, you just have to use the 2.4 locks. I would think using the 2.4 retainers would allow the springs to move around since they are smaller compared to the 2.3 retainers and wont fit the spring correctly.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:54 PM
Yea it looks like a tight fit. The retainer is just covering the springs enough. Some of the top of the springs is visible. I took a quick pic, i will post it later. I worried it will not hold under high load.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:51 PM
"they" are just trying to save their asses lol. it has been done MANY times on HO cam swapped LD9's.

buuuuuuut.. i know clyde still has some titanium hybrid retainers available. they are 2.3 for the most part cept the center, for which is LD9 so everything fits like it supposed to...

Monday, February 24, 2014 3:03 PM
Thanks Brad, im going to run it like it is. Im sure it will be fine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search