95' 2.2 to 00' 2200 Swap? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95' 2.2 to 00' 2200 Swap?
Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:38 PM
Anyone ever swap a 2.2L for a 2200 and switch over to the OBD-II setup as well?

I've got a 95 Corsica project car w/2.2L that I'm turbocharging, but all the issues with fueling and one-size only throttle body, I'd love to swap it for a built 2200 and keep it OBD-II, because I have HPTuners and wouldn't want to spend money on OBD-I tuning, If I don't have too.

I already have a 2000 Sunfire to pull everything from, so it's no extra expense. The car has no rear axle or gas tank, so it doesn't seem like it's useful in any other way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...

Re: 95' 2.2 to 00' 2200 Swap?
Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:22 PM
As long as you have all the parts from the donor car like the PCM and electronics, it should swap in without much effort.

The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for them, so the trans will physically connect as well. Flywheel/flexplate will probably need to be swapped over. I recommend using some ARP bolts while you do this (ford modular ones fit). Mine came loose and so have some others.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:44 PM
Flywheel is the same.

On a side note, I've never seen anyone update an engine like that and want to keep it OBD2. It's an interesting plan.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:55 AM
The engine will bolt into the car no problem. The issues will be with swapping the wiring to get obdII to work. To get the engine to start with the obdII you will need the bcm(if it is 2000+), ecu, instrument cluster(if it is pre 00)and ignition switch with key from the donor vehicle all wired in or it wont start because of passlock securities. You may be better off(and it may be cost effective) wiring all of your factory wires to the 2200 and get it to run that way and buy a moates ostrich II and datalogger around $300 and tune it.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:55 PM
Zs Z wrote:You may be better off(and it may be cost effective) wiring all of your factory wires to the 2200 and get it to run that way and buy a moates ostrich II and datalogger around $300 and tune it.

It's probably cheaper at that point to run a Megasquirt. I forgot about all the passlock garbage.

Friday, March 07, 2014 3:14 PM
I notice you haven't mentioned what you have for a trans-axle to work with... Is it manual or auto? An if auto, is it the 4T40-E (Same trans-pan design) in both of them? If not, I sense there's gonna be a little headache there.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:05 PM
Hey, sorry for the late reply

I think running MS or keeping it OBD-I and tuning with that would be the best route. I'm hoping that having some HPTuners experience will help with MS. Also, the car is a 95 Corsica, so swapping clusters would be difficult too.

The car has a 3T40 and the donor car has a 5-speed (I'm not well versed on the various offered manual transmissions). I would like to keep it auto, as I've never owned a manual car, but I can make the switch if I have to. I've driven them before but never had enough seat time to become proficient.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search