adding toluene to 94 octane? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adding toluene to 94 octane?
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:18 AM
hey so im wondering is adding toluene to 94 octane fuel for my 04 cav 2.2 eco would do much of a difference and if so how much gains and how much liters of gas to toluene should i put it

Re: adding toluene to 94 octane?
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:57 AM
I say do not add anything to a high grade fuel period.The only product or products I add to fuel would be seafoam,or fuel injector cleaner.Certain chemicals like that in my opinion do not add enough benefit and the results are so minor it is pointless.The best thing you can do is keep your car in good working order and drive with mpg in mind.With the many choices of additives to add to fuel I steer clear of most due to real lack of cost,benefit,and issues later that result from non fuel friendly system additives.It is bad enough with the freaking ethanol causing drama in older cars not really designed to have this garbage in the first place.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:50 AM
First off why are you running 94?

High comp N/A build or F/A?

Raising the octane does not increase performance, and in cars not tuned or designed for it they can lose performance.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:01 AM
the mods i have done so far are , CAI, upgraded intake mani, 4-1header. hiflow cat and full exhaust system. plus i got the ecu tuned for the new air intake and expulsion, tuned rich. so shouldnt i be using a higher octane. plus i plan to drop in a turbo or supercharger system in spring, havent made up my mind on which yet. leaning more towards turbo
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:31 AM
Don't know much about toluene but you can make use of higher octane by adding more timing. You should probably have 94 octane in your tank when the car is tuned, then the tuner can make the most of the tune, if it had 87 when it was tuned, it was probably tuned for that.
If you are planning on Turbo or S/C, why not just wait until spring? Then after you can set the tune for what ever octane you want.
Google may also be more helpful
Quote:

badatusrnames
^^ Not than I'm aware of.

Anyone that doesn't want to run Husky 94 can always buy a drum of Toluene and add some each fill up to the 91 they prefer.

Toluene is 114 octane (I believe) so you can do the math with your tank capacity and figure out how much you need to add. I don't think it works out being any more expensive when you compare the cost of 94 to 91 + toluene.

10% toluene mix with 91 octane

It appears most people use it with 91 to bring the octane rating up to 94-95?

If it was me, Id turbo or supercharge and tune it for 91 or 94 octane(whatever you have easier access to) and forget about toluene, seems like a pain mixing all the time. Unless your making a track only car and wait to squeeze every hp out of the engine as you can.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:37 PM
You do not need to run higher octane.

The tuner should have told you the fuel it was tuned for.
Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:13 PM
he's asking if it will gain him any power, guys. not if he needs it for higher octane.

honestly, its basically just alcohol from the little bit i just read on it. so really, no different than throwing methanol or ethanol into the mix. in a nutshell, mixing it with your gasoline is going to be like running a meth injection system or E85. for which you have not been tuned. the only true way to benefit from alcohol gas over regular gas is to amp up the timing. and by doing so you will be generating less heat in the combustion process so you will be able to run A LOT more timing and get to that TRUE MBT.

if you want some real pop, either put some nitro propane in with your gas, or get a water/meth injection kit and inject nitro methane. you cannot mix nitro methane with gasoline. it will seperate. nitro PROPANE has been formulated to run along side gasoline and provide the same results, however. again though... you will need tuned for it.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, March 03, 2014 11:41 PM
Tolulene Is Not An Alcohol Of Any Sort, Its A Petroleum Based Paint Thinner. The Amount Of Tolulene In The Gasoline Will Be The Determining Factor On Octane At The Pump. As For Race Gas Octane Numbers... There Are Other Additives That Increase The Resistance To Detonation.

Fyi Tolulene Has Been Removed From The Shelves Of Many Major Hardware Stores And Home Improvement Stores Because, From What I Was Told By Several Law Enforcement Personnel, Its A Key Factor In Making Meth. You Can However Get It At Paint Stores Like Sherwin Williams But You Will Have To Sign A List Like You Do At The Drug Store When You Purchase Sudafed.

Just Use The 94 Octane Or Add Another Power Adder Like Forced Induction Or Nitrous. Build Your Engine Firstl Lol!
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:50 AM
nitro PROPANE has been formulated to run along side gasoline and provide the same results, however. again though... you will need tuned for it.

Nitro, as in Top Fuel is a chemical composition between Nitric Acid and Propane. HIGHLY CORROSIVE lol! In the NHRA they use Nitromethane, which is "nitro propane" and they blend it with Top Alcohol not Gasoline. You were partly correct when you said that CH3NO2 does not mix with gasoline, nitropropane is not something you can buy at a store.
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:29 PM
TopFuel wrote:nitro PROPANE has been formulated to run along side gasoline and provide the same results, however. again though... you will need tuned for it.

Nitro, as in Top Fuel is a chemical composition between Nitric Acid and Propane. HIGHLY CORROSIVE lol! In the NHRA they use Nitromethane, which is "nitro propane" and they blend it with Top Alcohol not Gasoline. You were partly correct when you said that CH3NO2 does not mix with gasoline, nitropropane is not something you can buy at a store.

what do you mean "partly correct" about nitro methane not mixing with gasoline? it doesn't mix with it, period. I actually did an experiment last summer trying to see how nitro methane reacted with gasoline as well as 100% methanol. it separated from the gasoline but stayed mixed with the methanol. all examples were 100% as a base.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:29 AM
-Z Yaaaa-
i said "partly correct" because i am aware you cannot mix nitromethane with gasoling BUT there are other products you can buy that contain nitro I.E. NitroPlus. it's a nitro methane based gasoline additive for motocross. this is used in higher altitude races due to lack of oxygen, the NitroPlus contains it's own oxygen moleculse within the additive to compenasate. adding this to a daily driver is ill-advised due to it's caustic nature - bye bye piston rings and oxygen sensors!

highly corrosive, YES! that is the main contributing facotors why top-fuel cars are rebuilding the engines after every pass. it is so corrosive in fact that by the time the car reaches the the speed trap the engine is running on pure compression alone. the NHRA has know this for decades and after scott kalitta died at englishtown they shortened the length to 1000'. the last 320' the enginge running on compression alone would start to eat itself. check my facts if you are need to. my family has been in drag racing since the 70's and we are more than familiar with nitro and other racing fuels and how they react in different applications.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:33 PM
i never doubted you! lol. just trying to explain my examples of what i had experience with.

Friday, March 07, 2014 2:02 PM
I completely agree with you on the water/methanol injection kit. It will lower egt's as well as the intake air temp and it has the added benefits of steam cleaning the engine. This is all using the correctly sized nozzle of course. Hell I'm thinking about picking up a kit for the hot and humid days here. The benefits are numerous if done correctly.
Sunday, September 07, 2014 6:42 AM
IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON SOME MTBE ,THAT IS A GREAT OCTANE BOOSTER ,BUT NO MORE THAN ONE LITER PER TANK FULL!

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search