EGR Block-off on LD9 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EGR Block-off on LD9
Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:31 AM
Hello,

I'm getting readdy to do an HO mani swap and was interested in the EGR blockoff. What will this involve, and will this have an effect on fuel economy?

Re: EGR Block-off on LD9
Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:09 AM
go to a GM dealership and buy the block off plate. Take your egr off the car and put the plate in its place. You will have a check engine light on and will probably lose some mpg.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:31 PM
i clear my check engine light each time i start my car. I get 32mpg.

Team GREEN

Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:48 PM
What do you do to clear your code? I dint lose any gas mileage either but i only get about 26 in winter 30 in summer.

I do have a question though. The breather tube that goes from the timing chain cover to the thing below the starter is getting moister build up in it. It seemed to have started right after i removed my EGR.

If you got some metal around just make your own block off plate. Just take a piece of metal and trace your gasket onto it and cut it out. I did mine turned out nice.

2nd Place is the first loser
Saturday, January 28, 2006 8:01 PM
i just bolted a piece of scrap sheet metal to the hole on the front of the engine, course i dont have EGR neway.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:39 AM
I would love to yank the egr off my 96 Z but the problem would be the check engine light. I've never had a problem with my EGR but if it goes bad I'd rather just remove it and block off the mounting hole then have to buy another one. I know some cars you can remove it and then trick the computer into thinking its still there or get a tuner and disable the egr function in the programming. Is there any way to do this?

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:57 AM
i got a egr simulator. it didnt like my car, so i ripped it off and just clear the code each time i start it up. it might like other cars. I know some people have had good luck with it on there z24's.

i clear the code with a code scanner i bought from autozone.

Team GREEN

Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:14 AM
How much do those scanners run? Does your fan still run all the time?

2nd Place is the first loser
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:59 AM
I have an EGR simulator for sale. $40 shipped takes it. It's $70+shipping from ZZ Performance..

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:26 AM
What does blocking the egr do to performance?
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:28 AM
nothing... unless you are swapping to an HO manifold.

Monday, January 30, 2006 12:09 PM
I have a 2000 Z24 and an HO intake do I have to worry about blocking the egr or do the 99 - up not have egr?

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Monday, January 30, 2006 12:59 PM
Dale Young wrote:I have a 2000 Z24 and an HO intake do I have to worry about blocking the egr or do the 99 - up not have egr?

then the only thing you need is the block plate because while your 2.4 did not have EGR, the 2.3 manifold does have EGR.

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:52 PM
I'll just leave it until it goes bad then I guess I'll worry about removing it and then trying to get a simulator for it. I know on fords you can pull it off, put a block off plate on it, and then tune the computer to not utilize EGR. But I am assuming no one can tune the GM computers for these cars?

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:26 AM
Scott Long wrote:I'll just leave it until it goes bad then I guess I'll worry about removing it and then trying to get a simulator for it. I know on fords you can pull it off, put a block off plate on it, and then tune the computer to not utilize EGR. But I am assuming no one can tune the GM computers for these cars?

With a Tec3 of Megasquirt, yes.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:26 AM
I forgot to add, or to swap to a 1999 PCM

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:29 AM
Thanks Spotabee.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:35 AM
I'm not a big fan of the TEC 3 although it does datalog which is nice. Its really oldschool though if you know about it. But I guess the pre-99 cars don't have a whole wide variety when it comes to stand alone fuel management systems.

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Sunday, February 02, 2014 2:07 PM
I thinking about this egr delete but what do I do with the vaccum line that goes to the intake manifold then ? Just block it?
Thanks
Sunday, February 02, 2014 4:32 PM
you can get a 99-02 manifold that doesnt use it or yea, just make a block off plate for it.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, February 03, 2014 3:52 AM
Actually just a 00+ exhaust manifold gasket will block it, and you do not have to have a block off plate.

What vac line are you talking about?

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:15 PM
I have a 99" ECU if your interested? Email me if so.
Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:56 PM
john you make it sound like the block off plate is a bad thing lol. IMO it makes the front of the head look much better. plus... bolting one on is a HELL of a lot easier than poping the exhaust mani loose.....

does anyone know exactly why gm even offers a block off plate? was there a malibu or n-body/something that came with one stock around the 99 year or something?

Friday, February 21, 2014 5:26 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:john you make it sound like the block off plate is a bad thing lol. IMO it makes the front of the head look much better. plus... bolting one on is a HELL of a lot easier than poping the exhaust mani loose.....

does anyone know exactly why gm even offers a block off plate? was there a malibu or n-body/something that came with one stock around the 99 year or something?

I do not disagree on the looks. If I was blocking a egr I would do the exhaust gasket first as the proper way to block it and use the plate as dress up only.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:00 PM
as would I. most wouldn't even care, though hahaha

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search