2.2 OHV bored tb? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 OHV bored tb?
Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:46 AM
I was thinking about boreing, getting a bored tb, or getting an older 2.3 TB for my 2002 2.2. Are any of these worth it? What kind of gains will come from this? Also would the IAT "mod" improve performance with a bigger TB since more air will be coming in? Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance.

Re: 2.2 OHV bored tb?
Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:50 AM
Oh, AND, i've been doing a little looking for one of the older 2.3 TBs.. Is there a difference between TBs put on automatic and manual cars? using car-part.com it asks if the TB is for an automatic or manual.. My car is a 5 speed and i was curious if it mattered which one i got
Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:31 AM
I got mine off an automatic for a 5speed.

Iat mod won't help you.

Without knowing your other mods it's hard to say if you'll see any gains. On a stock motor you will see a Little more top end maybe, but nothing you even notice. It isn't worth the work of installing it for the gain you'd have.

If you had all the other bolt ons for the motor you'd be in better shape to use a 56.

I have a built motor and turbo etc and I'm still using the stock intake manifold and 52mm tb. I think it only hurts me over 6000, which without some decent motor modifications there is nothing to be had over 6 on stock parts.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:39 AM
Thanks a lot for the info, I have no other mods and I figured maybe this would be a way to get just a little more power without having to rip apart the engine. Of course I would love to have boost but I don't have the time or the money for it. I am a little surprised it doesn't make much of a difference.. It just seems like my car isn't breathing as well as it used to.
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:02 AM
If its not breathing as well as it used to, i would start with trying to fix that issue before adding mods that help airflow.

You could do a header and full exhaust and an intake and then the 56mm tb would help you a bit more on top of that. Biggest bolt on na mod that I did was the header/exhaust.

But again if the car isnt running as well as you know it should; thats where i would start with anything.

Dont expect much from the LN2 lol, it doesnt have it without significant work if you're doing it na.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:45 AM
I dont really know where to look, the air filter is new, i havent changed anything related to that except the IAC.. I suppose it could be fuel related, i have a new pump and filter. Thanks for the suggestion, I might save up and pick up an exhaust system. I just want a little more, I'm not asking for much but just something to get me around town a little easier. It also has a strange stumble at idle i haven't been able to figure out, new plugs, wires, and IAC haven't made any difference.
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:49 AM
Eric wrote:I dont really know where to look, the air filter is new, i havent changed anything related to that except the IAC.. I suppose it could be fuel related, i have a new pump and filter. Thanks for the suggestion, I might save up and pick up an exhaust system. I just want a little more, I'm not asking for much but just something to get me around town a little easier. It also has a strange stumble at idle i haven't been able to figure out, new plugs, wires, and IAC haven't made any difference.
I've also noticed that when it stumbles, my voltage drops and my lights dim.. I replaced the altenator and it didnt help, maybe the one i got is defective?
Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:24 AM
you could have it tested if you feel its defective.

I would look at the battery and the grounds to the battery/motor/chassis also.

is there a CEL on?

Are you saying you have a new pump/filter installed or waiting to go in?

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:17 AM
Ill have to get around to it one of these days, i dont have a tool for the belt so its kind of a pain to get it off. The pump and filter are already installed and have about 6k on them, no CE light. Ive been opening it up a little more and its not too bad, the stumble still has me stumped
Monday, August 11, 2014 4:10 PM
As far as the "quad 4" tb, I got mine from a '94 Old's Achievable 2.3 DOHC. I sent it out & got it bored to 60mm. IMO like Matt said w/o other mods, header, exhaust, etc, u won't get that much more power. What it will do though is give a better throttle response. If ur motor isn't running great, I would fix it & get it running reliable, then start the modding, & the TB would then b a great mod, IMO...
Monday, August 11, 2014 4:17 PM
These r some of the vehicles that u can use the TB from for the '98 & newer ln2's. They r all auto tranny's.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-25-44.png (375k)
Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-25-50.png (352k)
Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-25-28.png (367k)
Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-25-37.png (392k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search