stock rebuild with most power build help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stock rebuild with most power build help
Monday, December 15, 2014 6:00 PM
hi guys i have a friend in need of a freshened for hornet racing. need to remain mostly stock any tips or trick i can do to the 2.4. my friend is a semi driver and gone alot so i am helping as much as i can. im a ase cert. mechanic so yes i know how to build an engine. im not sure of the budget im on. info im looking for is like how much to shave the head. bang for ur buck type stuff. im thinking of just havingit bored and new pistons installed so everything goes together faster and smoother. im still building my car so i dont really have time to be on the computer. any cams out there that will run better any help or info greatly appreciated. the car is a 98 sunfire gt.

Re: stock rebuild with most power build help
Monday, December 15, 2014 6:39 PM
Travis Hamilton wrote:hi guys i have a friend in need of a freshened for hornet racing. need to remain mostly stock any tips or trick i can do to the 2.4. my friend is a semi driver and gone alot so i am helping as much as i can. im a ase cert. mechanic so yes i know how to build an engine. im not sure of the budget im on. info im looking for is like how much to shave the head. bang for ur buck type stuff. im thinking of just havingit bored and new pistons installed so everything goes together faster and smoother. im still building my car so i dont really have time to be on the computer. any cams out there that will run better any help or info greatly appreciated. the car is a 98 sunfire gt.
a 3angle valve job with a 30 degree back cut make sure the do a throat cut like 72deg maybe mill 10thou off the head. Make sure the new pistons are the same weight.

see ya!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:02 AM
Travis Hamilton wrote:hi guys i have a friend in need of a freshened for hornet racing. need to remain mostly stock any tips or trick i can do to the 2.4. my friend is a semi driver and gone alot so i am helping as much as i can. im a ase cert. mechanic so yes i know how to build an engine. im not sure of the budget im on. info im looking for is like how much to shave the head. bang for ur buck type stuff. im thinking of just havingit bored and new pistons installed so everything goes together faster and smoother. im still building my car so i dont really have time to be on the computer. any cams out there that will run better any help or info greatly appreciated. the car is a 98 sunfire gt.
Ive never ran or owned a 2.4 but what ive read a must would be to install a 2.3 oil pump to ensure your engine is getting its thirst quentched for the oil problems them engines have.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:59 PM
2.3 oil pump swap would be a good idea, but requires some block work etc... It would free up some rotating mass.

For cams over stock and not requiring tuning, probably just a secret cam swap.

You could go with a different thickness head gasket to gain some compression. I would also go with higher compression piston's (if your allowed in the class he will be running).

Some port and polish work if allowed.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:20 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:2.3 oil pump swap would be a good idea, but requires some block work etc... It would free up some rotating mass.

For cams over stock and not requiring tuning, probably just a secret cam swap.

You could go with a different thickness head gasket to gain some compression. I would also go with higher compression piston's (if your allowed in the class he will be running).

Some port and polish work if allowed.

Simple things that I've seen done that made a world of a difference like porting/polishing and gasket matching. Every little thing adds up!
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:19 PM
Oh and have the machine shop unshroud the valves while they are doing the peformance valve job. Then portmach the intake and exhaust manifold and throttle body. Attention to detail is key. Research polished piston crowns and chamber there's something to be had all over a stock engine when there is no rules. I say get the biggest stock replacement pistons you can run. Allow the engine to breathe

see ya!

Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:37 PM
so i know removing the balancer shafts on my 2.4 dodge motor freed up some power and i know it would too on this 2.4 but i dont see away to get rid of of it cuz of the oil pump setup. i've looked into the 2.3 oil pump swap would that allow me to remove the shafts?it hard for me to sit down and do all my homework on this engine when i got a ton of stuff to do in the garage as it is. any body have any good step by step links to help me out on the 2.3 oil pump swap and what to do about these balancer shafts?? on our dodge engine we also remove 2 water pump vein and it still preforms fine. is that something i can do here safely?
Thursday, January 01, 2015 2:30 PM
Thursday, January 01, 2015 2:40 PM
Air flow is everything. If you are running stock cams leave the balance shafts and spend the money having the bottom end balanced. On my ecotec I made sure all the rockers were within one tenth of a gram. Everything adds up but remember it's a street car you want to last yet have good response. Check out the headbytes channel on YouTube. He may sound like mater from cars but there are a lot good tips there I don't have time to type.

see ya!

Sunday, June 19, 2016 5:11 PM
Yes the 2.3 oil pump swap gets rid of the balance shafts and give better oil pressure and flow at all rpms, you will also need to modify the oilpan. I would add Wiesco forged pistons and Eagle forged rods then see if you can find someone with modified HO cams, HO valvesprings and towers. There are "stickys" that show the procedure just search 2.3 oil pump swap.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search