crankshaft - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
crankshaft
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:13 PM
Is it possible to use a 97 2.2 crank in a 98? Differences? Would it run? Worse/better? It is gonna be used for racing. I have a new crank for a 97 but am building a 98. Thanks for any/all input.

Re: crankshaft
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:49 PM
I'm assuming they are both LN2 engines, if so yea... it will run they are identical.... only difference in that area between those years is the main bearings....95-97 have a tang on the opposite side that holds them in the block and 98' up changed sides so all you have to do to make that crank work is buy bearings that match the year model of the block.... other than that the only differences are just more sensors in the newer blocks.... Should run the same no better no worse..
Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:39 PM
I thought I seen somewhere that the crank ring was advanced on the 98's. That is what im trying to find out about.
Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:13 PM
yea, they say that.... but I had a 95 and a 99 crank from the different engines 2.2 vs. 2200 and the marks all line up exactly the same..... no differences. plus I ran a 99 block with all the 95 internals minus the rods and pistons and it ran fine... but do remember to keep the pushrods in their respective blocks as they are different lengths....
Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:25 PM
Friday, March 13, 2015 12:34 PM
So what would happen if I used a 97 crank in a 98.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search