Ecotec Head Specs....... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Head Specs.......
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 9:46 AM
Ok, so I'm coming back to the org for help with a kind of interesting issue that my build has developed. So for a little back story, I built an Eco about 2 years ago. I got it running and moving with a manual swap on my 04 Cavy. I had the car going for about a week and actually road legal for one day when a local college chick ran a red light and totaled the car. Some of you might remember this. Luckily the engine was okay. So I began getting everything out of it to swap to another Cavy.

Here is the original build specs:
Lower end - Wiseco 8.9:1 pistons, Eagle H Beams, New GM Crank, Honed block
Head - PnP, 3 angle-valve job, stock valves, Supertech 78lb valvesprings, stock cams

Here is build spec the 2nd time around:
Lower end - Wiseco 8.9:1 pistons, Eagle H Beams, New GM Crank, Honed block
Head - PnP, 3 angle-valve job, 3mm ex port and 4mm intake port, Supertech BN valves, Supertech 78lb valvesprings, LSJ Followers and Lifters, stock cams

So as you can see I ported the intake and exhaust on the head. Since this was done I took the head to Napa to have it flushed and to verify that no warping occurred after the first build. Just picked it up today and was told that the head warped on the center two cylinders .005 like a chip.

What I need to know is what is the spec on the head for how far it can warp but still be machined? Napa won't do it because they do not have a guide book.

You drive a cavalier? Why yes... yes I do.

Re: Ecotec Head Specs.......
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:11 AM
This is all I have, it's not much but maybe it will help. SI Head Specs

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:35 AM
Awesome, thanks for that. I am waiting to hear back from my valve guy to see if he can correct it for me. Lol figures crossed, I've got a lot in this head.

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 11:01 AM
Are you aware of the potential issue with the 78lb springs and machined followers?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:24 PM
elaborate please

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:29 PM
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:38 PM
Yes, I am aware.

But just FYI mine originally made contact with the stock L61 followers. I have machined the LSJ followers that I currently have.

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:43 PM
ok, thought that was the same issue I was thinking of... thanks

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:43 PM
Awesome. Just figured I'd ask.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:47 PM
No I'm glad you did. Had I not already known that would have been a bitch to find out on my own lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search