Engine swap and Total rebuild - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap and Total rebuild
Saturday, May 30, 2015 2:13 PM
So i'm having issues ditching my 98 green RS with a 2200 in it right now. Car is having cancer problems so while i'm stuck doing body repairs, I had previously mentioned the ECO or 2.4 Swap. I originally planned a 2.4 Swap but because the ECO is still current, I decided 'm gonna get a donor car and swap my 2200 for an L61. I want to follow similar to the 2003 yellow belly turbo build by Abe here on the forums. I don't know when I can finally start but I have to clear some room by my lifts so i can start. Body repairs are gonna befirst in order. So much rust

Second I was curious if anyone here had any input or recomendations about this rebuild. Also Where to get stuff like the Ecotech mounts and stuff, considering 90% of the links i used to find are gone. Also have to go from the isuzu trans to the getrag trans. So need help locating mounts. I want as much help as possible as I haven't gone this crazy before but hell, a special person close to me is dying for me to do this. And it has to be this exact car, so I'm out of options.

A functional but high milage eco runs me around 1k here. Beyond that it's all about finding parts.

I plan brake and suspension upgrades, specifically a rear disc conversion and possibly front upgrades, and some Tokico D specs, with sportline springs.
I have no A/C or power options, because
se the entire car will be ripped apart, is it possible to add power doors and windows, and even A/C if possible? I am moving away from the hicago area and all of it's damn salt soon enough to a more saltless place for the cars.

Later I want some input on tires and all that other stuff but lets start with getting this cavi ripped apart, and the body repaired. it's bad enough the rear spots the commonly rust need to be cut out and some C section welded in. The Fenders have some rust spots, the 1/4's have holes in then, and the doors have massive holes in them. Hood is falling apart, and trunk lid is bad. Long story short, the entire exterior needs repair, and I cannot get a new cavi to start with :/

So what this means is I have to repair the existing parts. It starts with the hood, I have a new hood in storage. So thats Easy. I have the Gray plastic bumpers, but they need replacing from damage done by impacts.

All input is appreciated(body, engine, wiring, interior, modifications, parts,ect. all help is needed). Except "buy a different car and start over". It's not an option.

"I like to burn money in piles too" -Brian

Re: Engine swap and Total rebuild
Sunday, May 31, 2015 12:01 AM
I'm in the same rut too, cars rusting out, replaced brakes, suspension, most of the bottom end but no engine work. I too would like to swap an eco but the more time I have my cav, the more money being drained on sh*t to just make it drive. Tires, exhaust work and bodywork looking at another 1200 easy. Think bout it.. Is the car worth it? If I hadn't of spent so much myself already I prob would have gone a diff route. But its ur choice, just trying to not make the same mistake as me cuz ull prob be just as frustrated in the long run. But yea ur gonna deff need a donar, lots of money and time. Use the donar engine mounts, wiring, ecu. Someone else can fill in havnt done this swap myself.

ReD RaiN
Monday, June 01, 2015 6:19 AM
its not that bad... I swapped my 95 fire in a weekend..

gonna need all wiring, ecu, bcm and gas tank lines etc...

There is a post somewhere of all you will need.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:05 PM
How many miles are on that 2200? And do you still have it? I ask as my S-truck's DD has developed a bad cylinder after nearly 200k on the clock, and a well-running used--but not overly-worn--replacement available for a low-price locally would be the answer.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search