cavalier world ecu upgrade - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cavalier world ecu upgrade
Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:12 PM
I looked around on the forum and couldn't find much info on these guys. I have the super slow (but super good mpg) sohc 2.2. This sight is claiming some pretty Damn good increase for a mear 200 bucks. Does anyone have any experience with this company or especially ecu upgrades for this motor? Not looking to make it a beast got a eco sitting in the garage but no plans to swap until this one goes its so reliable why Mess with it but if i can get 20 to 40 hp increase for 200 I'm def interested.

Re: cavalier world ecu upgrade
Friday, July 24, 2015 6:22 PM
2.2 SHOC huh?

Do you have a 2200 or a 2.2 EcoTec?

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, July 25, 2015 3:59 AM
There is no 2.2 sohc

You will not get 20-40hp out of a tune on the 2200.
Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:53 AM
Philly D wrote:There is no 2.2 sohc

You will not get 20-40hp out of a tune on the 2200.

you wont?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:28 AM
2200 and it looks like it only has 1 cam to me
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:32 AM
I could be wrong not attacking anyone but this looks like a single cam to me and it says 2.2 on everything I've researched for it? And company claims 20 to 40 hp on ecotec so i assumed it would be in the area of atleast 20 on this motor which in my mind for that amount of money is far better than any expensive bike on that I've researched.
Attachments
970619MJ00-065.JPG (119k)
3d12d62.jpg (26k)

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:33 AM
justin andrews wrote:I could be wrong not attacking anyone but this looks like a single cam to me and it says 2.2 on everything I've researched for it? And company claims 20 to 40 hp on ecotec so i assumed it would be in the area of atleast 20 on this motor which in my mind for that amount of money is far better than any expensive bike on that I've researched.

Bolt on not bike on lol
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:00 AM
justin andrews wrote:I could be wrong not attacking anyone but this looks like a single cam to me and it says 2.2 on everything I've researched for it? And company claims 20 to 40 hp on ecotec so i assumed it would be in the area of atleast 20 on this motor which in my mind for that amount of money is far better than any expensive bike on that I've researched.

Yeah pretty sure this explains all you need to know it's a 2.2 with one cam http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2000/07/rebuilding-the-chevy-2-2l-engine/
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:23 AM
Show me where that one cam is "OH" (Over Head) on your 2200.

This will gain you next to nothing. Please take that advice. There are a bunch of good minds in this thread trying to help you not waste money.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:27 PM
It may not be over head but it is one cam i believe right? Not trying to start anything like i said just did research and it looks to only have 1 cam and be 2.2 and all this has nothing to do with original question anyways I'm trying to find out about ecu tuning from this company for this motor anyone had any experience with them?
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:31 PM
Sorry didn't see the second part of your post. Thanks for your input i posted in my intro in the newbie forum that i have an eco ready to swap in my garadge but don't feel the need to do it until this motor can't go no more it runs perfect no point in taking it out yet just trying to see what all options i have for the 2200 because it is super slow on getting on to highways ect. Not looking to make it a beast just a little bit of extra something for cheap until i swap the eco.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:08 PM
You do only have one cam correct. But the cam isnt overhead. Only thing overhead in the valves.

You wont get 20-40 hp out of a canned tune. Maybe if you have a reputable tuner tune your car you may get a bit but on the 2200 id be shocked to see that much even with bolt ons, without head and cam work.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:20 PM
Gotcha wish there was a little more worth on this motor...
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 4:03 AM
The things that really wake that motor up is boost and head and cam work. But simply swapping your eco in will be a nice bump up in power.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:10 PM
Philly D wrote:The things that really wake that motor up is boost and head and cam work. But simply swapping your eco in will be a nice bump up in power.

It be pretty cool to boost it just because it's not very common especially in central Florida area but it seems like allot off money has to be thrown at it to take the boost reliably.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:52 PM
Not really. stock with a good tune they handle a decent amount of power.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:46 PM
I have a 95 cammed and.. some porting done to the intake manifold and head... right now I'm looking into tuning options... either these guys or myself learning by either using the ostrich or Goin full standalone with ms2...
Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:10 AM
Maybe I'll boost it try something different is that kit i read about on here that gives around 180whp at 4.5 psi still out there? Or better to piece one together? Worse i can see is i have a turbo experiment that might just exelerate my need to swap in the eco lol
Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:10 AM
justin andrews wrote:It may not be over head but it is one cam i believe right? Not trying to start anything like i said just did research and it looks to only have 1 cam and be 2.2 and all this has nothing to do with original question anyways I'm trying to find out about ecu tuning from this company for this motor anyone had any experience with them?

They are pointing out that it is a 2.2 OHV(Over Head Valve), not a SOHC(Single Over Head Cam). We see it alot and it annoys us.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:44 PM
Quote:

Maybe I'll boost it try something different is that kit i read about on here that gives around 180whp at 4.5 psi still out there? Or better to piece one together? Worse i can see is i have a turbo experiment that might just exelerate my need to swap in the eco lol

The hahn kit? I wouldnt waste my money on it.

Id piece something together. Thats what I did. With forged internals, cam, and valve springs and boost I had enough to eat a majority of the dohc guys out there.

On a stock motor I had enough for middle 13's I think, which isnt saying too much, but a stock LN2 is pretty weak; it CAN take a pounding if the tune is good though.

IMO if you start to turbo the LN2, dont bother looking at the l61. Itll make more power than any set of tires can handle on the street; the tq curve on them is pretty nuts too. Also the money you need to put an L61 in could pay for forged parts on an already boosted LN2. Thats the path i took anyway and I would do it again the same way all over again given the same circumstances.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 4:21 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
justin andrews wrote:It may not be over head but it is one cam i believe right? Not trying to start anything like i said just did research and it looks to only have 1 cam and be 2.2 and all this has nothing to do with original question anyways I'm trying to find out about ecu tuning from this company for this motor anyone had any experience with them?

They are pointing out that it is a 2.2 OHV(Over Head Valve), not a SOHC(Single Over Head Cam). We see it alot and it annoys us.

Yeah i caught that lol. I've only ever dealt with Hondas and occasional bmw never honestly payed attention to know that the cam wasnt over head. My bad.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 4:27 PM
Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

The hahn kit? I wouldnt waste my money on it.

Id piece something together. Thats what I did. With forged internals, cam, and valve springs and boost I had enough to eat a majority of the dohc guys out there.

On a stock motor I had enough for middle 13's I think, which isnt saying too much, but a stock LN2 is pretty weak; it CAN take a pounding if the tune is good though.

IMO if you start to turbo the LN2, dont bother looking at the l61. Itll make more power than any set of tires can handle on the street; the tq curve on them is pretty nuts too. Also the money you need to put an L61 in could pay for forged parts on an already boosted LN2. Thats the path i took anyway and I would do it again the same way all over again given the same circumstances.

I've boosted a lot of d series Hondas but boosting this thing would be cool as hell i would love to see peoples faces. And 13s for this thing? Give me that all day that was pretty much my goal to begin with i had an evo back in the day when i had my own business and it only ran 13.2 best time i ever hit. If you don't mind my asking what all did you piece together what you find works and didn't work well with this motor. And it runs like a champ but is nearing 160k so will the turbo kill it or can i expect to atleast see her live in to the low 200ks?
Thursday, August 06, 2015 7:04 AM
As soon as I read SOHC, I said this guy loves his Honda's lol - D series SOHC with boost and built motor can accomplish a lot - not the same for an LN2 at all! Swap in the ECO and begin building it up.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Thursday, August 06, 2015 1:25 PM
Quote:

I've boosted a lot of d series Hondas but boosting this thing would be cool as hell i would love to see peoples faces. And 13s for this thing? Give me that all day that was pretty much my goal to begin with i had an evo back in the day when i had my own business and it only ran 13.2 best time i ever hit. If you don't mind my asking what all did you piece together what you find works and didn't work well with this motor. And it runs like a champ but is nearing 160k so will the turbo kill it or can i expect to atleast see her live in to the low 200ks?

on my first setup i had a lot of ebay parts. Log manifold, ebay gate and bov. ebay charge pipes fmic etc. Bolted it on and tuned with HPT on a set of 60's.

Nothing really special at all.

Second setup was a built motor. everything is in my profile. The "future" mods of spec 4 and tires were on the car when i ran the 12.8 with it (which was pathetic for the power it had but whatev). I made a lot of the parts.

if i was looking to do a stock motor i would get everything that i had on the second setup minus one fuel pump and the fuel lines. Id run it like 8psi and see what happened. The turbo mani was easy to make. i took a pacesetter header and cut it in half and welded on a merge/flange.

This thread has most of it: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=474208&t=474208

That setup was probably good for some 11's im sure if not more (it was tuned for like 10psi higher than i ran it on track day). Needed an lsd, 2-step, and some seat time though.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, August 28, 2015 12:53 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:As soon as I read SOHC, I said this guy loves his Honda's lol - D series SOHC with boost and built motor can accomplish a lot - not the same for an LN2 at all!
Swap in the ECO and begin building it up.

Lol its just what I'm familiar with. Ive built more Hondas than anything else. But ive always liked cavs when there done right and when i was given one for swapping a motor for a guy ( a honda lol ) i said wth why not make it a cool daily since no one does it in my area. I have my s2000 and two bikes but i get a stupid smile everytime I'm I this little thing can't explain why. I think its cuz i know if i break anything the parts are insane cheap to replace. But it is my first rodeo with gm compact so the help advice and critisism is all welcome.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search