Big Head Idea for the LN2 (2.2L/2200) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big Head Idea for the LN2 (2.2L/2200)
Monday, August 31, 2015 1:31 AM
Thoughts have been passing through my head lately... Thoughts of things I've read relating to LN2 cylinder-head shortcomings, and how engine parts are cast using the "lost-foam" method. Even how someone out there has gotten-up the ambition to see it through that custom performance-parts for an odd, older design engine can be made independently... using old, hands-on methods of casting aluminum from molds in sand. Stirring all this together in my head got me to asking one simple question: Why don't one of us--the "Double-Deuce" appreciative builder--make a better head for the LN2 from scratch?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Re: Big Head Idea for the LN2 (2.2L/2200)
Monday, August 31, 2015 7:13 AM
The geometry needed would be so intense to even begin thinking about it would be a nightmare.
You would need a consistent way to measure combustion chamber size, intake and exhaust runner size.
Also the geometry for the valve train would be a nightmare.

Just not something I would look into, and I have practically made my head from scratch.
I'm using LS1 and SBC components.
Monday, August 31, 2015 9:41 PM
Using stock everything except springs and retainers I made good power on a stock head that I ported myself. Boosted of course.

Most people who want serious power on 4cyl boost them anyhow. I always liked your other ideas and sentiments; but this one seems a bit far fetched.

After seeing what the motor can do personally with mostly stock spec parts I would honestly take a stock motor and throw forged internals in it (stock bore and compression) with the company springs I had, m98 pump and arp studs. Boost it too the moon and not change anything else. It'll do well over 400 with enough turbo behind it that way lol.

Heck even the cam I had wasn't much more aggressive than stock with factory rockers and the pushrods I was using (I was too short by a little)

Na is another story but na 4cyl screams "do dohc" to me.

If you're looking for 500 from this motor I think you need to look at headwork but even then I don't think you need go to super aggressive. Good cam, proper valve train geometry with porting and that'd be sufficient. I was gonna try but I bought a new car instead. There are a good amount of high power 8v vw motors that I looked at when I was doing mine and many didn't have move more than me. just lots of boost.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, September 01, 2015 3:27 AM
Matt Linke wrote: I always liked your other ideas and sentiments; but this one seems a bit far fetched.

Well, perhaps I didn't explain the idea well-enough:

Someone must have sliced-up enough of both generation heads to have been able to get a bead on what each is all about... And those slices may have been scanned into a computer, to develop a 3D-map that a CAD/CAM program can work with. Then someone with some engineering skills--and a good sense of airflow--could take the best elements of both generations, and combine with a few additional desired improvements map an entirely new performance head, with things like raised rocker-cover walls, a thicker mating-surface flange & spring-seat pockets, along with an ideal port shape (Older-style exhaust/ Newer-style intake?) and height (Raised?).

Once the mapping is done, it's off to the 3D mold modeler/printer to make the first foam mold. After that, it's all up to the foundry & then the CNC-machine operator to workout the finer final details. Forgive me if I missed any myself (Quality control & all-that)... but I took those as a given.

If my idea still seems "far-fetched" after all this explanation, then I guess I'm just missing details again while trying to dream of something realistic... like being a bus driver.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, September 01, 2015 7:08 AM
I don't disagree that it would make a great product at all; I just don't see the necessity when there are significant gains that can be had with common practices (rockers, valves, porting, shaving, etc)

Only reason I think it's far fetched is because of cost vs benefit. I've no doubt it can be done; just don't think it's worth doing to that extent.

If you're talking about n/a; I don't think even dohc guys crack 200whp very often and there's no way an ln2 will outflow a dohc head. If you're talking boost; I think r&d into an intake manifold and big header would be resources better invested.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do another ln2, and I really would if I had the money (I still have half of my turbo parts in the garage). Just with my experience with this motor; calling a spade a spade with the head is the best way to describe it lol.

I still might do a build shooting for 500whp with an ln2; and I think with what I learned on mine that it can be done with *almost* no parts (aside from turbo and fuel)

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search