A question for you guys who have upgraded valve springs - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A question for you guys who have upgraded valve springs
Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:54 AM
What type of springs (super tech, GM, etc.)
Are you running a larger cam?
What type of valve guide seals are you all using?
And have you had any trouble with the seals?

I'm running the stage 3 comp cams and super tech 76# valve springs which forces me to use super techs seals and I have gone through 2 sets of these seals in less than 8000 miles. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with these or if anyone is still able to use the factory seals.

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....

Re: A question for you guys who have upgraded valve springs
Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:38 PM
Wes Gardner wrote:What type of springs (super tech, GM, etc.)
Are you running a larger cam?
What type of valve guide seals are you all using?
And have you had any trouble with the seals?

I'm running the stage 3 comp cams and super tech 76# valve springs which forces me to use super techs seals and I have gone through 2 sets of these seals in less than 8000 miles. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with these or if anyone is still able to use the factory seals.

Supertech 94# springs
Stage 3 cams
Bronze Valve Guides
No troubles at all

But I also have an LSJ head with a crap ton of work done to it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:39 PM

Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:58 PM
Are you using the factory valve guide seals or the super tech ones?

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:49 PM
Wes Gardner wrote:Are you using the factory valve guide seals or the super tech ones?

everything is supertech. The bronze valve guides were getting harder to find last i checked.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:46 AM
I ran stock valve seals with supertech 78's and stage 3 cams. Few local guys did as well...a local had problems with the supertech seals at first, replaced some twice, then switched to stock seals and had no issues..which is why I started off with stock seals from the get go.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:04 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:I ran stock valve seals with supertech 78's and stage 3 cams. Few local guys did as well...a local had problems with the supertech seals at first, replaced some twice, then switched to stock seals and had no issues..which is why I started off with stock seals from the get go.

Please elaborate how you are using the dual valve springs with the factory seals?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:42 PM
After thinking about it, to clarify my question...are you using an inner spring locator that supports the inner spring or are you simply resting it ontop of the factory guide seal's metal body?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:10 AM
It's my understanding that the stock seals still fit under the seats provided for the inner spring. At least, That's my plan.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:31 AM
Interesting, I bought my 94lb spring kit years ago (back when everyone thought the super techs would coil bind) and I don't believe I received the same seal/spring locator that I was supposed to....see images below.

I believe I was supposed to receive the locators like what are shownin the lower left package

Instead what I received was more like the seat shown here on the left

For you guys running these springs with the stock valve guide seals which seat are you using?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:46 AM
Interesting. Maybe the 92lb are different. My kit looks like the one you posted above with seats that go over top of the stock seals.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:21 PM
Since I've got the head off for the second time to replace the valve guide seals (2nd time in less than 10,000 miles) I'm thinking the seats are wrong and the inner spring is moving around pulling the seals off of the guides.
The first time around 13 of the 16 seals were either destroyed or off the guide and one of the inner spring was in 3 pieces. It was amazing that the engine didn't grenade itself.
I'm not real easy on stuff though for example just prior to the head coming off the first time I just got done with a parkway run almost continually in 2nd gear with an 8k redline, the engine stayed above 5,600 rpm just about the entire time - loads of fun!

I'm trying to get this issue firmly taken care of because I'm trying to set the car up for HPDE sessions at VIR so she will be seeing lots of high rpm driving with high speeds (last time I took the cavy to the local 1/8mi drag strip she was spinning profusely using MT drag slicks and still managed to trap 87 mph with only an 8.40 et)

So once I can get this squared away I will be on to brakes and suspension....and lots more brakes!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:46 PM
Well after calling supertech it seems I have the spring kit that requires the use of the smaller guide seals and they require a grooved guide, which they also sell, but without their guide the seals WILL come off.

The correct kit for use with the factory guide seals is SPR-TS1012/EC. The retainer, springs and locator are all different so I have to buy another damn spring kit for these to work with the factory seals grrrrrr.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:49 PM
Good info. So are these different than the 78lb and 75lb springs?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:24 PM
The spring kit that I listed above is actually different than either the 76 or the 94 lb spring kits. The kit that uses the factory seals has a larger outside diameter on both of the springs for clearance and is shipped with a "cup" that slips over the top of the factory guide seal/seat and the inner spring fits snugly in this "cup".
Since the springs are different so are the retainers.

I'll take some pics once the kit comes in the mail and show the difference between all 3 sets that I have (76lb, 94lb and the "correct" 75lb kit)

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:37 PM
Well it's been a month and I'm still waiting for the springs to be shipped

Saturday, October 10, 2015 9:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I have the Supertech TS1012-EC spring kit. I am planning to add a Comp Stage 3 cam. All to go into a Patriot Head, Stage 2. I am concerned on whether I will have "coil bind" with the Comp cam? See below link to the Supertech Valves:

https://www.supertechperformance.com/s17259-valve-spring-kits-dual-valve-spring-kit

I also need to make sure the above configuration will work without any valve seat machining for these springs. The spring diameter of the Supertechs as noted in this thread is larger than stock - so are the "gold" springs from Patriot that come with the PS2. Will the Supertech fit with no issues?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:45 AM
Spoke to Supertech - they confirmed "NO COIL BIND" on using this spring kit (TS1012-EC) with the Comp Stage 3 cam. No machining etc is needed as these springs fit on the PS2 head.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search