small LD9 coil on plug swap write up - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
small LD9 coil on plug swap write up
Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:37 PM
This is for the LD9 and is really pretty simple. Just need some wire cutters, a soldering iron/solder, some spare wire and some sockets.

To start you need to remove the factory ignition system (4 13mm bolts holding the IDI cover down, unplug the ICM).

Once you have it off you need to remove the coil housing so you can remove the ICM. Its 4 5.5mm bolts to take it off and 3 5.5mm bolts to take the ICM off. The only thing you really need from the old ignition is the ICM. You will need the ICM connector but I chose to go to the junkyard and cut one off another car as to keep the factory setup intact JIC. Up to you.

Now for the coils. Im using factory Ford coils off a 4.6 V8 Mustang. These coils are pretty easy to come by. In fact I got mine for free from a friend that builds Mustangs. However if you dont know any Mustang/Ford people that have them laying around they are pretty easy to find in junkyards and really arent to terribly expensive to buy new at a parts store. Ford used them on all the 4.6 Mustangs from 1999 and up and on all their other 4.6 cars starting in 2001. The same coils are also used on all the 5.4 V8s as well which came in f series trucks. Obviously you only need 4 but I went ahead and got 8 just to be safe. Its always good to have extra. You will also need the connectors for all the coils that you get. If you get the coils without connectors, whenever you get connectors make sure they have the same plug in. Ford has two different style plug ins for their coils and they are not interchangable.

On to the boots. Im using the factory 4.6/5.4 coil boot. They have a weird bend in them but theyre long enough and flexible enough that theyre easy to make work. You can use Ford Escape boots which are straight but they are longer. Up to you.

4.6/5.4 boot

Escape boot

Now for the fun part, wiring.
Its really simple. Your coil connector has 3 wires coming out of it and they are labelled A, B and C. The first/brownish one is A. This is your power. B and C are basically grounds. Im not very good at describing this so heres the diagram. Sorry its kinda cheesy.

This is how my wiring harness ended up looking (not pretty lol)

All thats left to do now is plug everything in and do a test run to make sure everything is working.

You will have to build a bracket of some kind to hold everything together. Youre on your own on that one. Im still in the process of getting one together since I suck at fabricating.
This is what I have now. Its basically a steel bar with holes drilled in it to bolt the coils and ICM to.

And this is the setup on the car

Well thats all folks. Sorry for any spelling/grammar errors. Feel free to ask questions cause Im sure I probably left something out lol

Re: small LD9 coil on plug swap write up
Monday, July 02, 2012 3:05 AM
So did this help any really?

Know how strong the coils are?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:07 PM
i am interested in this. post is old but looks interesting. does it help? and can you relocate the icm? would look better hidden.

whitey
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:46 PM
I prefer the look of my idi cover
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:44 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:I prefer the look of my idi cover

I'd run these and find some way to keep the idi cover personally.

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that. Text or Call(908)866-1882

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:05 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:

I'm thinking the LSJ coils with a idi cover.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:25 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:

I like this idea
Monday, November 23, 2015 11:25 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:

I like this idea

Has anyone done this (LSJ coil-on) yet? I'm looking to swap out my Eco harness for an LD9 harness with LSJ coils

I drive a sleeper...
Monday, November 23, 2015 1:39 PM
Abe Jacobs wrote:
Z24Sunfire wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:

I like this idea

Has anyone done this (LSJ coil-on) yet? I'm looking to swap out my Eco harness for an LD9 harness with LSJ coils

So you have a Ecotec? This thread was for LD9, but yes people have run LSJ coils on Ecotec's.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:31 AM
Hold on.. I have an 2.2L Ecotec yes. I am going to do the 2.4L PCM and harness swap so that I can tune the car using the air density rather than Alpha-N tuning. I will be reflashing the PCM for the Supercharger tune and tune from there.

So I will have the LD9 engine harness and PCM, but would like to do the LSJ coil-on-plugs instead of the coil packs. So the question is, is there anyone who has the LD9 engine harness integrate LSJ COP's into their system, or is everyone just running the coil packs?

I drive a sleeper...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search