what cams to get - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what cams to get
Monday, October 03, 2011 9:40 PM
hey i am looking into getting cams for my 04 cav and i dont really know which ones to get and what do i all need? what would you reccomend?

Re: what cams to get
Monday, October 03, 2011 10:27 PM
Any cams are going to need aftermarket valve springs and tuning, at minimum. Though I'd recommend if you're going to spend the cash on cams, you might as well get the head port n polished, and have good supporting mods to see some actual gains - at least a good exhaust system, and upgrading to the le5 intake mani and a bigger throttle body would be good.

Comp Cams carry a good selection for us, though what you pick is really based on your needs and goals. If you're just trying to get a little gain in a n/a daily driver, stage 1s should do you good. If you're going boosted, then you'd be looking at a higher stage. Colt Cams and Delta Cams are also reputable suppliers to check.
Again, you're gonna need aftermarket valve springs, I'd recommend Supertech 78lb, best bang for the buck and they'll handle most aftermarket cams (unless you're getting into cams with a severe aggressive profile).

I guess the first and most important question to ask - what are your power goals/ goals for the car?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:08 AM
i have a magna flow exgaust, pasesetter header. i am going to supercharge it when i am done with getting it painted.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:14 AM
Comp Cams on www.TurboTechRacing.com

stage 1 if you dont want to upgrade valve springs/seats/retainers.

Stage 2 if you dont mind upgrading the springs/seats/retainers (Ferrea brand is recommended)

We sell a set each week, very popular.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:28 AM
ok thanks.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:40 AM
Dont forget whatever cams you get your wasting your time/money if you dont tune the car. If the cams are too much bigger than stock they will also lean out the car with a stock tune.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:00 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:Comp Cams on www.TurboTechRacing.com

stage 1 if you dont want to upgrade valve springs/seats/retainers.

Stage 2 if you dont mind upgrading the springs/seats/retainers (Ferrea brand is recommended)

We sell a set each week, very popular.

I'd have to disagree about the stage 1s...I would get a new spring kit regardless. Our stock valve springs HATE any additional lift over stock spec. If you are supercharging it, stage 2's or Comp's Blower Grind should work great for you.

On the other hand, when you're ready to buy everything, I would definitely recommend buying it all from Turbo Tech Racing. Best prices and you can't beat Aaron's customer service.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:27 AM
well i am planning on getting different springs and i plan on get a timing chain. and i would be geting my car tuned!
Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:33 PM
Hey guys,

Just bought everything I need for a built head except more aggressive cams than the one I have now. While researching how I wanted to build the car, I realized the Comp NA stage 2 was the right cam. Now, I am really thinking to build the motor too. I found a built motor with a compression of 8:89:1 (built for turbo) and a new set of blower grind comp cams (#113250) for cheap. I will go Turbo, just not anytime soon. I plan to tune and drive the car with this built block and my built cylinder head.

Will these blower cams be OK until i boost? Can I put them in, adjust them with my adj. cam gears and drive the car fully built with no turbo/blower and still get great use out of these cams? If so, that's great and when I do go boost, I'll have the right cams already, that is what I am hoping you can tell me. Thanks!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Sunday, November 29, 2015 9:00 PM
Wait until you get the turbo before you install the engine. The 8.9:1 compression will cause the built engine to have less power then a stock engine. You'll hate driving it around N/A. Low compression sucks.

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:32 AM
Thanks! That makes sense. Any info on the cams? What I was told last night was:

The turbo grind cams are designed to keep the cylinder pressure up
The blower grind cams are designed to basically get rid of heat

If that is the case, the blower grind won't work for me on a turbo motor it seems.

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:35 PM
I would not do blower cams on a turbo setup. You will have no low end power. I have tuned a car with blower cams that was twin charged. down low sucked balls.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:04 PM
Turbo cams have less valve overlap(when the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time) because the pressurized air helps force out the spent exhaust gasses. N/A cams have more overlap because N/A engines do not have any pressurized air to help evacuate the cylinder.

Monday, November 30, 2015 5:28 PM
Gotcha. No blower grind.

Overlap makes sense. Here is what Comp Cams told me:

Only the turbo grind and the NA stage 3 grind would work with low compression and turbo. The NA street stage 3 will build up boost a lot faster than the turbo grind. In fact, he recommended the stage 3 cam over the turbo cam. What do you both think about that? I now also have a chance to buy a turbo grind for under 300 shipped vs a new stage 3 for 500. If I get more power out of the stage 3 obviously that's what I'm buying. Here's a link to the cams in case you gurus wanna explain the numbers a little

Scroll down.

http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/compcams-camshafts.php

Monday, November 30, 2015 7:46 PM
For a turbo setup I would go with turbo grind cams.

You have to realize that your either going to spend more money and have n/a cams for the time you are n/a, or your going to not have as much power while n/a so you can have the turbo cams when your boosted.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 5:37 AM
Tuesday, December 01, 2015 5:43 AM
Exactly. Def. less power now and more power when I am boosted sounds better lol.. I'll check the link, thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search