Eco crank trigger revisited - LE5/LSJ bottom end swaps - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Eco crank trigger revisited - LE5/LSJ bottom end swaps
Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:56 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:keep in mind, the reference points for 60-2 and 6+1 patterns work differently.

the 2 missing teeth on the 60-2 pattern, don't necessarily coincide with TDC on cylinder #1. that is just the reference tooth. the actual tooth that crosses the sensor that coincides with TDC could be as many as 20 teeth after the reference.

the 6+1 pattern has an extra notch that occurs 70* after TDC. It could line up with the 60-2 pattern, it could not. my point is it isn't simply a matter of trace and go.

not to mention, you have to get the bolt pattern to the crank right, and it has to be spaced evenly in order to spin true and consistently.
the part would be simple to make, but making it accurate enough to fit and work is another story.

not to mention, that while we do solve the problem of the external trigger, you have to remove the crank to swap the rings.

BUT this is all doable. I understand and i think everybody interested understands this wont be a simple eyeball with a sharpie and tape measure job.

I would be more then happy to buy all new torqe to yeild bolts, gaskets and bearings to be able to run an le5 or lsj bottom end. the point im trying to get accost is thats its doable.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:02 PM
Would something like this work?

It's an external 7x trigger - the extra tooth (groove?) would just have to be in the right position relative to TDC correct?

Can anyone here do this for less than $155? My head is off to be worked over with a built valve train and cams. I want an LE5 bottom end dammit!

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:30 PM
I knew there had to be an existing crank trigger with a 7x.

If they can make over-sized LD9 pulleys i bet they could make one of those with a groove to fit into the oil pump groove on the L61 pulley.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:47 AM
So, does anyone know where the extra tooth shoule be on the clock relative to cyl 1 TDC?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:02 AM
SS-J wrote:I knew there had to be an existing crank trigger with a 7x.

If they can make over-sized LD9 pulleys i bet they could make one of those with a groove to fit into the oil pump groove on the L61 pulley.

What....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:28 PM
oldskool wrote:So, does anyone know where the extra tooth shoule be on the clock relative to cyl 1 TDC?

reference tooth for the 6+1 pattern is 70* ATDC.. so you'll have two teeth in a row, 10* apart.
the other teeth are evenly spaced 60* apart.

its all explained in detail on the mega manual... I have saved pictures and a pretty decent collection of information, including how the 60-2 pattern works

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:30 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
SS-J wrote:I knew there had to be an existing crank trigger with a 7x.

What....

THAT. If the external wheel had a notch in it to fit into the groove that is there for the oil pump gear THEN it would be lined up as long as the engine is timed correct.

Does that make sense? I know sometimes things make sense in my head then not at all when i type them out. lol

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:34 AM
That picture Mike posted on page 2 IS timed to the crank.....

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:21 AM
The key way is parallel to the oil pump gear flats on all Ecotec pulleys......am I missing something. 0 degrees for the oil pump flat is 0 degrees to the key-way.
See picture below of my pulleys....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:06 PM
There's a simple reason why there is no 7+1 stuff on the LSJ crank... it is a SAAB made and engineered part
Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:51 AM
Stay tuned for a progress thread by the end of this month guys - this swap will be a go. If MD/Josh make a trigger wheel specifically for our needs, it will be even easier than the way I'm working it.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:06 AM
Contact Josh he can help more than I.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:23 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
oldskool wrote:So, does anyone know where the extra tooth shoule be on the clock relative to cyl 1 TDC?

reference tooth for the 6+1 pattern is 70* ATDC.. so you'll have two teeth in a row, 10* apart.
the other teeth are evenly spaced 60* apart.

its all explained in detail on the mega manual... I have saved pictures and a pretty decent collection of information, including how the 60-2 pattern works
Back from the dead for some clarity.

So i spent some @ the junkyard with an oil pan off. Cyl 1 TDC, it appeard as though the extra tooth was lined up with the crank position sensor. So when you say the reference tooth occurs 70* ATDC, do you mean "on the clock" or with respect to the sensor, because obviously the sensor is on an angle in the block, it's not looking at the wheel from 12 o'clock. See my primative art work and tell me if the position of the sensor is correct on the wheel with Cyl1 ATDC, if now where should it go?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:35 AM
looks like a hairy vagina with tats LMAO, but I get the idea

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, December 04, 2015 11:15 AM
Saturday, December 05, 2015 6:32 AM
drew johnson wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/161908310747?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 this what your looking for?

for those not in the know, you need to remove the crankshaft from the engine in order to install that.

a much better solution to the external ring, but way more difficult to install and not exactly conducive to a lower-budget bottom end swap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search