Exterior/ Motor - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exterior/ Motor
Saturday, August 27, 2016 10:57 PM
So what I am planning is using a 2.4 LNF with a 2.2 L61 Rotating Assembly, destroking it for RPM purposes, running a camshaft with a .415 peak lift on the intake with a .194 @.050 Duration, and a .400 peak lift on the exhaust and a .205 @ .050 Duration and a 110* Lobe Center
. With Electrical accessories instead of the traditional belt driven accessories. Any advice on parts will help out immensely.

Also wanting to find a front lip for my Sunfire and a Motor lift so I can do a 1.5" drop without dragging the oil pan, also need to find a White Sunfire Coupe Driver door, and a passenger Sideskirt, I prefer OEM Sideskirting but if you can find a decent Aftermarket Sideskirt please let me know, and if you can send links.

This is an amazing car, and I want to keep it that way. Thank you guys for your help, in advance.

Tyler Barnett

Re: Exterior/ Motor
Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:53 AM
The LNF is the turbocharged 2.0L with direct injection and VVT. There is no way to run it on the stock PCM. The 2.4L LE5 is N/A with VVT and again the stock PCM cannot control it. To run a LE5 in a J-body with the stock PCM you have to swap to the L61, LSJ, or LK9(both are non-VVT) head, but since that you plan on destroking it then it is pointless. I assume that you are trying to do a N/A build. What you want is the 2.0L LSJ(Cobalt SS Supercharged) or 2.0L LK9(Saab 9-3 turbo), both are basically the same engine but with different types of forced induction. Both have a factory CR of 9.5:1 and are the most RPM friendly. For a high RPM N/A build I would suggest higher compression pistons and porting the cylinder head. Keep in mind that either engine will require an external trigger wheel for the crank sensor for the stock PCM to run them(more trouble than it is worth IMO).

The only belt driven accessories on an Ecotec is the alternator and a/c compressor(and supercharger on some models). The water pump is chain driven by the balance shaft chain.

You'll be fine with a 1.5" drop without raising the engine. As with any lowered vehicle, be mindful of how you drive and you'll be fine.

The biggest piece of advise I can give you is to start reading the forum. ALOT of the incorrect information that you are going off of can be corrected by just reading threads and educating yourself on the platform. It is something that I always do when I buy a new car.

Re: Exterior/ Motor
Sunday, August 28, 2016 9:25 AM
Thank you man for the advice, that really helps. Yes I was planning on a N/A Destroked 2.4. And the Engine codes throw me off, but thank you for the corrected advice. For a while I was thinking on a 2.0 Out of a Cobalt SS Turbo, and just using the 2.0 tranny, 2.0 PCM, etc..

The lowering concern I had was because I live where they love speed bumps, I was just worried about the oil pan, but with what you said about driving techniques and caution really helps a lot.

Again Tinkles(KGM) I appreciate your help and advice, and you have an awesome day
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search