2.3 ho intake manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 ho intake manifold
Friday, July 30, 2004 10:27 PM
would i get an increase in hp by just using the manifold? keeping the 2.4 tb and just switching to the 2.3 ho manifold? <br>

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Re: 2.3 ho intake manifold
Saturday, July 31, 2004 10:51 AM
I was wonderin the same thing I have the throttle too but i`m getting some very long lists of things to do to get it to work, port matching the manifold isn't a problem but I`m lost with the throttle. <br>

<br>
Yes officer I knew the speed limit was 50
Monday, March 21, 2005 10:18 AM
yea i wonder the same thing.. i can get my hands on some 2.3 H.O. parts, but is it worth my while... i can get cams, intake and a tb... but would like to know what all needs to be done to make it work..

Monday, March 21, 2005 10:40 AM
Well I'm gonna get together with a few of my friends and am gonna give it my best shot to get all the things swapped.

I'll have to get a dyno and see what the gains are, hopefully I'll be able to fill you guys in. The thing is heavy. That's the one thing I don't like about it. I wonder if something can be done about that....
Monday, March 21, 2005 1:24 PM
when you get the intake manifold use the 2.3 throttle because it is 56mm compared to the 52mm. lucky i bought a 2.3 ho that had alredy been moded to fit the 2.4, i just ordered it so it should be coming soon
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:40 PM
not only is it heavy but, it conducts heat which i found after a while of city driving hender performance considerably, a phenolinic adapter from exploided will prolly help with that but i got an aluminum one. I just ice down my manifold when i get to the track and it works out fine though.

Monday, March 21, 2005 11:25 PM
it might be heavy, but think about the pile of crap you take off. the 2.4 manifold all the EGR stuff (if you have it) the bong on top of the TB then your will probably remove all the intake stuff and air box for a custom intake. i think you will make up for the HO's manifolds wieght and gain enough power to, to make up for it.

But if you use the 2.4 Tb you will still gain power, although it will make the swap alot more time consumming, and harder for someone new to engine mods.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:27 PM
yeah I just looked at that 2.3 to 2.4 conversion plate seeing as I haven't ported the manifold yet this might make my hassles that much easier

seeing as it's half an inch thick that makes me worry about clearance though. And if I'll be able to use the stock screws. eh I'll just go find me some new ones and put some sealer on those.

Now can someone tell me what that big ugly black tube with that copper looking piece of metal is on the back of the HO manifold? I'm afraid to remove it but what the hell is it? it looks like I can plug some sort of sensor back there but I'm not sure what.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:27 PM
when you do that 2.3 swap do you use the same throttle cable or do you need that too. is there i bracket you must buy or is it just swapping the manifolds?
just asking cuz mine is on the way and i had asked this question before but no one answers
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:42 PM
I looked up Ny j-bodies on the net and went to the library section. if you kept the bracket from the donor car then it should go right to there assuming you're still using the 2.3L Throttle Body

Something I've been wondering though. What's the Diam of that Throttle body? Isn't it somewhere around 63mm?

christ come to think of it.. if it's that wide then we'd actually lose horsepower unless we're boosted or something.

Can someone tell me what the Diam on that 2.3L TB really is?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:15 PM
The 2.3L TB plate is 56mm.
Meaning when you hit the gas, the TB will open to 56mm.

Now the actuall TB area around the plate is like57.8-58.3 or some junk.
So if you were to get a larger TB plate (i.e. an Ecotec 58mm) then a machinist wouldn't have to worry about the sensors when they port it.

As for the HO TB opening,
Its like 58mm or so.

Yet, when I put on my 59mm TB, I swear I ported more than 1mm off that opening on the manifold. (too much metal dust for 1mm.)

You use all the same throttle cable.
But you may wanna pick up a diff. cruise control module. Assuming the compoter can recognize the older stuff. I have one I haven't tested yet.

The stock bolts will be long enough even with the flange.
But you can get longer 8mm bolts from any hardware store no problem.
(or get arp racing bolts if you want)

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:59 PM
Damn this guy knows his stuff. But I'm still wondering what the hell that thing is on the back of the manifold.

if the O2 sensor is on the front then what's that in the back. I remember it being hooked up to a black box thing which I left behind... Help a guy out Mastin?

guess there's only one way to find out (grabs his sharp object)
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:33 PM
Oh,

Well,
The tube on the back of the manifold is got your breather hose.

Normally the hose is connected to the big black square factory airbox/tb box.
So, now, if you want to, take the hose and run it to the back of the HO mani.

Most folks though just plug the hole and use a breather filter.
That's how mine is set up....well will be once I get another spacer.

Which TB are you gonna use?
-M

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:24 AM
Mastin wrote:Oh,

Well,
The tube on the back of the manifold is got your breather hose.

Normally the hose is connected to the big black square factory airbox/tb box.
So, now, if you want to, take the hose and run it to the back of the HO mani.

Most folks though just plug the hole and use a breather filter.
That's how mine is set up....well will be once I get another spacer.

Which TB are you gonna use?
-M

First of all I actually have to apologize for stealing the thread ><

Yeah I pulled that hose out the other night and I just thought (I'll just plug that up and use that small breather I have in the other room) so that works out okay.

Actually I'm not sure whether or not I'm gonna stick to the TB in the 2.4 or to the 2.3L's TB. I have quite a bit of time to decide though.... it snowed here last night... really heavy and just miserable wet snow.

I really do want to keep my cruise but I'd rather get the TB from the 2.3 polished and keep all that performance considering I'm trying to stick to NA. I hear that GM makes a part that you can turn over your Cruise Box. Anyone have a name or part number for that?

I have that flange on order. went with the Garolite and that'll be here within a week or 2. Now alls I need is the breather hose that I'm gonna mod to fit the TB (can't afford a stainless pipe atm... and I'm not in the mood to guess how to get that in there)

But yes I have another burning question. I'll need the 2.3L Gasket kit to fit that between the flange and the Intake and then the 2.4L gasket kit to fit the Intake+Flange to the Head. am I not correct in assuming this?

Damn all this side work better be worth it.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:06 PM
Quote:

But yes I have another burning question. I'll need the 2.3L Gasket kit to fit that between the flange and the Intake and then the 2.4L gasket kit to fit the Intake+Flange to the Head. am I not correct in assuming this?

Assuming you're getting Exploited conversion flange, you're asking if you should do:

1. ho mani,
2. ho gasket,
3. exploited conversion spacer,
4. 2.4L gasket?

If so, I don't recommend getting another 2.4L gasket at all. It has notches in it to connect to the factory manifold. And isn't desgined like a goop and stick gasket like the ho version.

So what I"m gonna do is either:

1. ho mani
2. thin line coper gasket sealer
3. exploited spacer
4. use my hacked up 2.3 gasket to match the contours of the spacer (already tested)
5. liquid metal sealer to final bind the spacer to the ho mani (little overkill)

OR:..........

1) ho mani
2) 2.4l flange/spacer
3) my hacked up 2.3 gasket to match the contours of the spacer
4) liquid metal sealer to final bind the spacer to the ho mani (litle over kill)

I have the benefit of a welded on 2.4L flange spacer from exploited to begin with. But with my auto, I still need another flange to get me the clearence from some wire loom and my tranny pan. So my TB lever doesn't rub against stuff.

-M

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:16 PM
Hey not to post jack but....

Im in the process right now of putting mine on and I was lookin at the throttle cables...I DID get the 95 T/b cable bracket and that is the right one I'm told but the cutout on that (the 95) bracket for the Cruise cable is sort of square and the 2.4 Cruise cable has a round end. How does that work? maybe just like a washer or someting attatched to the bracket would work. Anyone know what I'm talking about or have the solution??

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:38 PM
Hmm, r u sure about that.
I think you have it backward.

For mine, the throttle 2.4L cable is round and the CC is square.

The 2.3L CC module I got is round though.

-M

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:13 PM
Mastin wrote:
Quote:

So what I"m gonna do is either:

1. ho mani
2. thin line coper gasket sealer
3. exploited spacer
4. use my hacked up 2.3 gasket to match the contours of the spacer (already tested)
5. liquid metal sealer to final bind the spacer to the ho mani (little overkill)

OR:..........

1) ho mani
2) 2.4l flange/spacer
3) my hacked up 2.3 gasket to match the contours of the spacer
4) liquid metal sealer to final bind the spacer to the ho mani (litle over kill)

I have the benefit of a welded on 2.4L flange spacer from exploited to begin with. But with my auto, I still need another flange to get me the clearence from some wire loom and my tranny pan. So my TB lever doesn't rub against stuff.

holy rusted metal mastin.

okay let me get this straight @_@

1. HO intake mani.
2. Put the spacer on the mani using gasket sealant
(this is where you lose me)

where are you planning the put the 2.3 Gasket? You mentioned something about using the gasket to match the contours.... elaborate?

So all in all what are you using as a gasket between the Intake+Spacer and the head? the 2.3L gasket? I didn't think that fit on there.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:28 PM
oooh I think I get it.... sorry for the second post.

you mean cut up the 2.3's Gasket to fit over the contours of the flange then you put that to the head.

Did I get that right?
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:05 PM
Quote:

you mean cut up the 2.3's Gasket to fit over the contours of the flange then you put that to the head.

Yup,
Actually it took about 2 and a half 2.3 gaskets to cut aand mate things.
I should get a pic of it. Stupid web cam acting up.

But hacked up and ghetto as it is, the thing didn't leak on my test run so it works.

-M

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:31 PM
i have the exploited flange and i just used two 2.3 gaskets. they work fine just have to elongate the hole in the gasket to match the two on the spacer and manifold. i trimmed a little out of the intake port opening as well, cause there was a little overhang. worked fine for me and there are no leaks. Yeah the garolite spacer is the way to go my manifold gets HOT!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:34 PM
I must seriously be missing something on these explanations... okay... Can someone clear this up for me?

-Next you will hook up the two vacuum lines to the throttle body,
Remove the vacuum hose from the area of the A/C compressor and take your extra vacuum hose you purchased and attached that to were you just remove the old line. Once you do that use the old line and attach it to one of the ports on the throttle body and connect that line to the new line (basically you just extended the old line to reach the throttle body) Then take the only line left, and attach it to the other port on the throttle body.

On the farthest left port on the front is connected my FPR Vacuum hose... simple.

On the Middle port is connected my MAP Vacuum hose... simple...

Where can I put my AC vac hose? plug it into a port on the throttle body if I read that right....? if so what would be the best way to mate the "new" vac hose to the "old" vac hose? why can't I just take the "New" hose all the way to the port on the TB?

I actually started working on this swap just a few hours ago. it's dark now but I'm hell bent on getting it done. god help me if I throw a code -.-
Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:01 AM
Aw man I need to get a pic up wor somehting.

Basically, the 2.3L/2.4L TB has the one small vac line under the IAC. (large plug with torx screwes on the left)
Ok...fine.

So what happenes is, since the HO mani forces the TB all the way yo the right next to the battery. That one line isn't going to be long enough to reach. So you''ll need a 1/4" I.D or 5/16" I.D. hose to connect.
No biggie.

And the metal brake booster line has to be cut. The one connected to the largest vac port on the TB on the right. So for that you'll want a 1/2" I.D. hose to connect to the TB since the HO mani takes up the room.
Again no biggie.

Everything else is self explainitory.:
FPR line to the mani.
MAF little module thing to the middle provision on the mani,
a screw or whatever to plu the larger hole in the front nearest to the TB
a cap off for the breather line on the back

I'm imagining you like so close to getting everything, you're confusing yourself.
So take your time, step back, and you'll be fine.

-M

Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:24 AM
That one smaller vac line is for the AC line.

This the one just under the FPR and IAC.

Get the jump hoes (hose ).
And I ended up connecting it to the 2.3L tb to what would be (look the same as) the 2.4L tb fpr line provision.

Well,
That's how I hooked mine up both times.
No error codes or anything.

Have fun,
-M

Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:41 PM
Snowed last night.... -.-

Project's on hold due to the fact my hands get so numb even through my gloves.

hey Mastin you know of a website I can contact that can make me an intake pipe after the swap?

my current intake will have to be removed and sold... Eh. As long as the gains are better after the swap I'll be happy.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search