Cooling fan override - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cooling fan override
Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:51 AM
I bought a car from a member on here that supposedly has this mod. there's a toggle switch on the center console and ive been tryin to figure out wtf it went to. After looking at the diagrams that are posted i would think thats wut it's for, but i have no clue as to wut this mod does. can anyone clue me in?

Re: Cooling fan override
Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:23 PM
Well if you looked at diagrams and searched like you say. You should know. What does it sound like it does? I'll tell you but the next time search a bit more or use a little common sense. On our cars the cooling fan doesn't kick on till 220 degrees i believe. Which in some cases in the summer lets our cars run a little hotter than some people are comfortable with. So they will wire the fan up to run off a toggle switch so they can turn it on manually which will make it run a little cooler.

Now the main thing to watch is if that is what its for and someone cut the wires completely off to where the computer doesn't control the fan at all. You need to make sure that switch is on so that you don't over heat.
Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:07 PM
i did look. i understand that its common sense. i didnt understand why the need to override the cooling fan from a car from wisconsin. idk if the thing is off or on as of now but i know the car stays at a steady temp.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:21 PM
There are times when you're sitting at a traffic jam, waiting for a train, or are working the car especially hard that you'll need this mod.
Since you're way up North, you probably won't need it as much as I do here in the Deep South.
Hope this answers your question.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:21 PM
I've been thinking of wiring a switch for a 2-spd fan, that'll allow selection between computer control of it or full manual override, with choice of speeds.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:37 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:I've been thinking of wiring a switch for a 2-spd fan, that'll allow selection between computer control of it or full manual override, with choice of speeds.

Nickelin, I still have the computer control of the fan on both cars. All I've done is tap into the wire directly on the fan so the factory wiring is still in tact.
But the two speed setup sounds good. Once you get that figured out, get in touch with me so I can attempt the same.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:57 PM
haha blu its me.... deuce... i posted it here also when i did it earlier im in texas.. hot @$$ texas

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:57 PM
It's not that hard, actually. There's a How-To sticky on another forum I subscribe to that tells how to use the 2-spd fan from a "Boxy" Ford Taurus w/3.8L V-6. The way I figure it, if I were to wire the relay ground leads to the center terminals of a 6-terminal DPDT switch, with the computer leads going to the pair on one side & the leads from the center of another DPST switch that's wired so both offset terminals on one side connect to a ground & only one does on the other pair, it'll command low in one possition & high in the other when the main override switch is in the manual possition. Plus, by using a DPDT switch for the main override, I'll be able to fully switch the fans off if I want by just putting it in the center possiton.

Oh, and the manual speed selection switch wouldn't have a center possition, BTW (Just making clarity for those who've trouble following!).

And the fan motor is easy to test in the yard: Just bring a 12v cordless drill battery & a pair of clip-end leads. If the motor don't turn under power, don't worry. A OE-style replacement from a parts store makes it still cheaper than an aftermarket setup.

And be sure to use good quality relays, like Bosch. Cheap-out on the relays & you'll pay more than you would on good ones.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:09 PM
ok well sorry about that you should have stated that. When you flip the switch the fan should come on. then off the other way. i also live up north some what and i don't like the way my temps go in stand still traffic.
Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:42 PM
no problem..i appreciate all the help..im takin the car to the local performance shop that i use regularly so they can tell me wtf this thing has..there's so many wires on it going to idk where its not even funny

Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:29 PM
Funny, Im actually in the works of doing this mod to my LD9, Im gonna run a wire from the relay to a toggle switch and back. I hate turning on the AC just to lower the temp at a light.

GMR has got nothing on this

Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:42 PM
ur turboing ur car right? i know ur on my club site too.. would u be able to help me with my HO mani once im ready to get it on?

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:59 AM
Blown Phoniex wrote:ok well sorry about that you should have stated that. When you flip the switch the fan should come on. then off the other way. i also live up north some what and i don't like the way my temps go in stand still traffic.

I hear you... DMP had runnin'-hot troubles in traffic a few months back that were so severe, the engine began to knock under light load with the octane he was running. I don't know what octane it was, but I'll bet it was 87. I don't care if the head's aluminum, the management has a knock sensor & there EGR with low final-drive gears or not... Whatever the static compression is on a stock car's engine, that's the indicator of what octane you should run (Move the decimal point one place to the right to learn!)... Unless it's a F/I engine, then you should go with whatever the factory recommends.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search