engine sound not good - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine sound not good
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:11 PM
sorry for my english, I speak french

Hello, I have a 2200 SFI engine and it make a clapping noise, it's louder when the engine is cold than hot.
What can I do to make my engine to do this clapping noise. The engine have 210 XXX kilometers.

Re: engine sound not good
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:39 PM
i once put a saw dust in my oil with new oil. It made my rod stronger. I dont no try that?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:05 AM
Uh... This is a question better suited for the Maintenance forum. But, since you're here:

Wow, 210K miles... And it never had a chain failure? That's good! It just goes to support my arguement that the LN2 is the SBC of the 4-cyls GM put in the J-cars, W-cars & S-trucks! But I digress...

Anyway, is it a hollow, double-knocking sound? That's sign of a bad piston wrist-pin. That'll involve full dis-assembly of the engine to fix, which might as well mean full-overhaul when you're done. Is it ticking like a diesel? That means lifters, which means they're failing & need replacement. Hafta pull the head to do that, but it easier than having to tear-down the whole block to deal with something like a rod-knock. Somehow, I think it's the latter (lifters).

In-fact, ya know what? I'll bet it's possibly... most likely... sign that the timing-chain tensioner is on it's way out! I've had two LN2s that showed the same sign, right before they just totally failed & allowed the chain to skip a few teeth one day. Result: No-start with sound of no compression & backfiring through the intake & exhaust. Yeah... judging by the amount of miles you say are on it, I'll bet it's just that. Guess it's time to replace it for you, sir! But don't worry... it only seems like it'll be difficult. With the right tools (gear-puller, small assortment of metric sockets & wrenches, maybe even an impact wrench) you'll have it done in a single afternoon. lord knows that's how long it took me both times (Separate trucks).

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:14 PM
Rod knocking?????
Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:04 PM
BOOSTED BABY wrote:i once put a saw dust in my oil with new oil. It made my rod stronger. I dont no try that?

What??

"The Blue Bullet"
Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:42 PM
If it happens when the engine is usually cold it's most likely piston-slap...what happens on highmileage engines is the cylinder walls get worn over time, creating more clearance between the piston and wall...and become oblong shaped (curved), when cold, I don;t know the technical terms for it but it makes the sound when the metal is cold and then when it warms up and expands, the sound goes away or lessens...if the sound is continuous and all the time, I would say it's not piston slap.

If you suspect your piston slap is excessive, then there is an easy method to locate which cylinder has the problem. Before starting the engine, remove one spark plug wire and short it to the engine block. When the engine is started, that cylinder has less pressure pushing the piston sideways. If the knock changes, or is gone, then that is the cylinder with the problem. If the knock is still there, try another cylinder at the next cold start. It takes a little time, but it is much better to locate where the problem is before disassembling the engine.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
Friday, April 17, 2009 7:33 PM
BOOSTED BABY wrote:i once put a saw dust in my oil with new oil. It made my rod stronger. I dont no try that?

if that's what your into...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search