2.2 and 2200 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 and 2200
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:07 PM
Ok I know this is mostly a repost but hopefully nobody minds, I have a 96 2.2 5 speed and was wanting to know if there was any differances between it's shortblock and say that of a 98 and up cavalier or s10. We have some brand new 2.2 s10 Engines with valve cover, front cover and pan we've been selling cheap and we've been selling them for j bodys but after taking the front cover off. I want to buy one and use my head on it. I haven't had both engines tore down at the same time to compare but I'm wanting to say there's less dish on the 98 and up pistons, so I guess I'm asking if anyone can spit out some info on dish cc's head cc's rod lenght, or anything else. Also we have some clutch and flywheel sets (new gm units) I know u can't just throw a 98 clutch on a 96 because the flywheels are different, but what if you have both, again I haven't had both next to each other to compare.

Thanks in advance
Jeff Dennis

Re: 2.2 and 2200
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:39 PM
Crank-trigger wheel notches are advanced several degrees in '98.

Pan sump is located differently for truck (rear) than FWD-car app ("front").

Cam profile is way different (Tighter LSA)

Pistons lack dish found earlier, and would result in CR of approximately 11.3:1 when used with older head.

Clutch & flywheel assembly differs because of change to NVG-1500 trans in latter years (IIRC). Yours should bolt-on otherwise.

Coolant inlets & outlets differ, but since you're using the older head, all you'd need to swap is the water-pump inlet on your old engine.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search