2.2 OHV problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 OHV problem
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:33 AM
Hello all

My 99 cavalier have a problem with the engine, the engine won't go over 5400-5500 rpm, my engine have 214k kilometers

I want to know what do you think about this problem ?

Re: 2.2 OHV problem
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:44 AM
not rev it that high?

Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:21 AM
Is that the stock limiter on 3speed's? That sounds about normal...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:31 AM
I do believe that is the rev limiter on the 3 speed autos. I know mine shifts at 5500ish in drive. I can get it up to I would guess ( no tach) around 5900 if I shift manually.
Thursday, December 03, 2009 12:29 PM
my rev limiter on my 3sp auto is 75 km/h, and today my check engine light lit and show p0300

Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:25 PM
99 Cavalier wrote:my rev limiter on my 3sp auto is 75 km/h, and today my check engine light lit and show p0300

ROFL

Your speed limiter is75km/h, your rev limiter is around 5500 rpm and 4000rpm in park.

Why do you need to rev that high???

P0300 is mulitiple misfire could be cause by-

Bad spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil pack(s)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Bad fuel injector(s)
Droped or burned valve
Cloged catalytic converter
Stuck or dirty EGR valve

Some of those could be caused by you bouncing off of the rev limiter.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:37 PM
because I know my rev limiter is 6000 rpm and in 1st, my rev limiter is 75 km/h and in 2nd the rev limiter is 135 km/h but when I view that I have the foot at floor and i can't go over 60 kilometers :S

my problem is the coil ignition...

and because my transmision mysteriously loss the second gear, I need a new transmision ... and I don't have the money right now I will change it at the end of winter

and my catalytic converter is blocked again... for the second time

PS: sorry or my english, I speak usually French

Friday, December 04, 2009 2:03 PM
Sounds like a 3t40 Governer issue...Stuck for some reason, that would cause a no shift into second based on vehicle speed. But fix the P0300 first. How did you track it down to the ignition coil?

Also Catalytic converters are required by the EPA to last the life of the vehicle... Something is wrong for you to have gone through two. IF they are plugging up they are running too hot telling me for some reason your hydrocarbon output is very high. Get the engine performance issues figured out then you can worry about the trans not shifting.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, December 04, 2009 2:55 PM
99 Cavalier wrote:because I know my rev limiter is 6000 rpm and in 1st, my rev limiter is 75 km/h and in 2nd the rev limiter is 135 km/h but when I view that I have the foot at floor and i can't go over 60 kilometers :S

and because my transmision mysteriously loss the second gear, I need a new transmision ... and I don't have the money right now I will change it at the end of winter

If your cat has came apart, there is your answer... Now to the better question, why does is keep failing? If you have a bad coil causing a misfire, that could be the key to your whole problem....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:07 AM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:
99 Cavalier wrote:because I know my rev limiter is 6000 rpm and in 1st, my rev limiter is 75 km/h and in 2nd the rev limiter is 135 km/h but when I view that I have the foot at floor and i can't go over 60 kilometers :S

If your cat has came apart, there is your answer... Now to the better question, why does is keep failing? If you have a bad coil causing a misfire, that could be the key to your whole problem....

bingo! don't just replace a part...find out why iut went bad...cats don't just clog up regularly. its not a yearly replacement item. fix your mis.
Saturday, December 05, 2009 9:33 PM
Alex Richards wrote: Catalytic converters are required by the EPA to last the life of the vehicle...

Yeah... But then, the average expected lifespan of a vehicle is typically seen as about 100k-mi.

Irony: According to every service manual I've read, the catalytic-converter is supposed to be replaced every 100k-mi. Go figure...

I'd also like to go on record here mentioning how my '99 LN2'd S-truck (with 100+k-mi) has a odd l'il miss that occurs occasionally, but I think that's result of either the crank-sensor... or it circuitry... being flawed somehow. That or it being the weather-pak seal at the VCM being compromised somehow. Lord help if it's the VCM, as those are expensive to replace.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search