2.2 OHV Discussion...Adjustable FPR, 2.4 Fuel Rail, Mantapart 2.2 Upper Plenum, And Pressure Gauge - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 OHV Discussion...Adjustable FPR, 2.4 Fuel Rail, Mantapart 2.2 Upper Plenum, And Pressure Gauge
Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:31 PM
I thought I found a thread in the past about someone using a 2.4 fuel rail for a top feed conversion, But I can't manage to locate it now.

My main questions are:

1) Are the injector angles and spacing on a 2.4 fuel rail close enough to work with on a LN2? (I didn't have time today to dig up my spare lower intake manifold to compare)

2) Is there an optimal place on the 2.4 fuel rail, Or any rail in general, To place the fuel pressure gauge for the most accurate reading? I would assume the pressure will be fairly consistant inside the rail.

3) What is a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will work with the 2.4 rail?

4) Are there any injectors that don't require machining or welding in new bungs in the 2.2 lower intake??

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT: I found stevefire's thread when he used the 2.3 rail, But it looks heavily modified. I'm not afraid of welding and whatnot, Just trying to nail down what will need to be done.

Also found this and became very interested..

Stevefires Profile wrote:Mantapart 2.2L Upper Plenum Upgrade 56mm TB

Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of these?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:38 PM

Re: 2.2 OHV Discussion...Adjustable FPR, 2.4 Fuel Rail, Mantapart 2.2 Upper Plenum, And Pressure Gauge
Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:53 PM
3) What is a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will work with the 2.4 rail?

get an accel for an lt1 vette. or a i believe fuel lab has one that fits.

pretty much anything else needs the induction dynamics relocation fitting to work on a 2.4.

but thats a 2.4... the timing chain housing is really the only reason others dont work, because they physically do not fit between the rail and the housing. on an ohv you might have tons of room so options are pretty much endless at that point.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Re: 2.2 OHV Discussion...Adjustable FPR, 2.4 Fuel Rail, Mantapart 2.2 Upper Plenum, And Pressure Gauge
Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:19 PM
I have also just found that the 2.4 fuel rail will have the line come right out into the PS pump reservoir. I have noticed that Steve had a new fitting welded onto the bottom and the port on the PS side closed..

Problems were that and the angle of the injectors...Maybe a 2200 rail would be better? Then I would need something similar to Phil's bypass plate and figure out another adjustable FPR..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:22 PM

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:31 PM
z yaaaa wrote:3) What is a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will work with the 2.4 rail?

get an accel for an lt1 vette. or a i believe fuel lab has one that fits.

pretty much anything else needs the induction dynamics relocation fitting to work on a 2.4.

but thats a 2.4... the timing chain housing is really the only reason others dont work, because they physically do not fit between the rail and the housing. on an ohv you might have tons of room so options are pretty much endless at that point.
i thought the RK FPR works on the 2.4

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:05 AM
yeah, it does too. i think there is even a couple more that work as well but cant remember the names off-hand.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Friday, June 18, 2010 10:22 AM
Mike wrote:IProblems were that and the angle of the injectors...Maybe a 2200 rail would be better? Then I would need something similar to Phil's bypass plate and figure out another adjustable FPR..
The angle is not insignificant, and the 2200 rail lines up PERFECTLY, so why NOT use it? It's not as pretty, but it's so much less work, and will perform better.

As far as finding a Mantapart plenum... good luck.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, June 18, 2010 11:10 AM
thats about what i was thinking with the mantapart plenum. anyone have detailed pics or a vacuum line diagram for it? I have scrapped a few upper plenum designs already but still want to find or build an upgrade.

i think i may just use a 2200 rail. i dont feel like not having it up to its peak because I wanted a pretty rail.

what are some injector options that will work with the factory computer? I plan on doing hpt down the road but need to sell off my 95 stuff first and swap to 97.

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:44 PM
Casper makes a good (better than the accell) FPR.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:52 PM
The aeromotive AFPR for the corvette LT1 will work. Any corvette LT1 AFPR SHOULD work with any 2.2 ohv, 2200, LD9, or L61 from what i hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 18, 2010 2:55 PM

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:40 PM
So far I got on my list;

-2200 Fuel Rail
-LT1 AFPR\Or Casper's (The one with the Neon?)
-Upper Plenum, James Cahill is selling me his RSM 59mm TB
-Fuel Rail Pressure Gauge

Still need to figure out;

-Injectors? Are there any that drop right in?
I know most others will need the bungs enlarged to accept the new injectors.

-AN Fittings for fuel lines if possible?
I am a complete AN noob. I know nothing about these.

-Anything else I might be looking over?
I want to be able to have everything I need ready when it comes time to install.

Thanks alot for your help guys!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:49 PM
Mike wrote:So far I got on my list;

-2200 Fuel Rail
-Upper Plenum, James Cahill is selling me his RSM 59mm TB
-Fuel Rail Pressure Gauge

Still need to figure out;

-Injectors? Are there any that drop right in?
I know most others will need the bungs enlarged to accept the new injectors.

-AN Fittings for fuel lines if possible?
I am a complete AN noob. I know nothing about these.

-Anything else I might be looking over?
I want to be able to have everything I need ready when it comes time to install.

Thanks alot for your help guys!

I have decided against the afpr as I am not shooting for big numbers, So I won't really need it from what I understand.

This is what I have been thinking (Some stuff listed is already done)
N/A build a nutshell:
-Ported Head
-Polished valves (Anything for valve springs that are drop in and go?)
-1.6 Rollers
-Top feed
-2200 Pistons (BIG maybe on this one)
-RSM 59mm TB
-4-1 Header
-"2 1/4 Exhaust W/Cutout
-N/A Cam Re-Grind (Unless MadJack sells me his wink wink)

+ a few other small things, MSD coil packs, Maybe a PS delete, A/C system is already long gone...

Bounce some ideas off me guys. I'm open for whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:52 PM

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:11 AM
Mike, I would recommend you zero deck the block and surface the head about .030", instead of doing the 2200 piston swap. This would give you a more manageable compression ratio of 10:1. This is still a decent increase, but a lot easier to tune for, without the as much danger of blowing your motor. You will need pushrods that are approximately the same amount shorter as what you take off the head and block to keep the proper valve train geometry.

Hopefully I'll be doing the cam and heads swap this next week (yeah I know after sitting on this stuff for a year!). This cam isn't anything super, but is better than stock. It does give a slight lope at idle, but because the lobe centers are so far apart the power and torque are kind of flat, but is broad. I would recommend you get a Mr. Gasket 985G 2* Offset Crank Key and install the cam retarded 2*for a little bit more mid to top end. This cam with 1.6:1 rockers will work with stock springs, though if you want, you can get the Comp cams 26981-8 valve springs. (specs can be found here) These springs are the only drop in springs available that I know of.

As for the upper plenum and TB assembly, you can get a plenum spacer made to increase the plenum volume. I made mine out of red oak, but it can be made from aluminum or preferably, phenolic resin, to insulate the upper plenum from the heat of the lower runners and motor. You can get the TB on the upper plenum bored over to 56mm and get a TB from a 2.3L Quad and use the butterfly from it in the TB/plenum.

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:33 PM
^Something tells me your cam combined with the right header (1-3/8"dia x 22"length?) would be the way to go on a 2200... perhaps after swapping-in a set of Wiseco pop-ups, that is.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:12 PM
MadJack, I have an old cam card you posted a long time ago, Is this the one in your engine? Or the one going in?

What would be a good profile if I were to send mine out?

Oh and thanks for the other information!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:14 PM
Attachments
631645ba.jpg (57k)

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:21 AM
All lt1 regulators are the same if vette or f-body. So it won't matter which car you buy it for. Heck a b-body will work also. l99's I believe also use the same regulator. Speaking in the b-body's. Stay away from anything accel for us lt1 people. Everything is junk. There is a few other adjustable regulators out there. Which is also junk for us lt1 guys. Best bet is to honestly not use one. If you want to do digging. Look on ls1tech or ls1lt1 for info on the adjustables.
Monday, July 12, 2010 5:42 AM
Trent Judy wrote:All lt1 regulators are the same if vette or f-body. So it won't matter which car you buy it for. Heck a b-body will work also. l99's I believe also use the same regulator. Speaking in the b-body's. Stay away from anything accel for us lt1 people. Everything is junk. There is a few other adjustable regulators out there. Which is also junk for us lt1 guys. Best bet is to honestly not use one. If you want to do digging. Look on ls1tech or ls1lt1 for info on the adjustables.

We know the regulators are the same, our problem is that there is only the certain one that fits our rails, especially us 2.4 guys. I have this regulator, it's the smallest of them all. Can't remember the part# at this time tho.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, July 12, 2010 10:16 AM
Accel Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg. ACC-74565

is what I have in my profile...I'm pretty sure it is correct.

I got mine from summit racing.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 12, 2010 3:07 PM
Aww true the aeromotive I believe it is. Is pretty big. I see he doesn't want it now. Didn't see that at first. I have two f-body lt1's and two j's. Thought I would say what I know first hand. I also have a 2.4 swap in the one fire. So I see where you were coming from.
Monday, July 12, 2010 3:37 PM
There are two Aeromotive AFPR for the LT1 motors. Check the application for each of these: Aeromotive 13107 and Aeromotive 13106

The 13106 has the mounting bolt hole on the correct side for the '94-'97 2.2L LN2.

IIRC the 13107 is used on the '98+.

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:41 PM
AFPR is useless to me lol. I'm not going for big numbers so I won't need anything like that.

Mainly trying to figure out a good N/A cam profile right now

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:51 PM
That I did not know. I am honestly not sure why they have two. As the lt1 rails are all the same. Unless being as big as they are the vette has problems clearing the one for the f-body. I how ever recommend everyone on here to stay away from them. As they have a real bad track record. The problem with them was suppose to have been fixed though. What the problem was I am unsure of off my head. As no one with a lt1 really runs one. Mainly due to nothing a tune couldn't take care of and the track record.

Honestly adjusting the fuel pressure is kind of a jerry rig fix. Along with can cause problems. I could see if you were wanting to sqeeze all you could out of a set of injectors or had no tuning options. Though the j-body crowd has plenty of that to a point. I know I use the stock lt1 regulators on both my 95 ta's with out a problem. The 380whp head and cam. Along with the 480whp procharged 383 ta. When it was running that is.

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:57 PM
Wish I had a edit button... They may offer two being the 93 rails are a little different on the f-body. Not sure if it was 92 or 93 on the vette or not. Though I am sure they are the same but could be wrong. Though this is some good info. Mainly due to the regulator being bad on my 2.4 and I have 3 brand new lt1 stock regulators. From when I was trying to figure out my high fuel pressure. It never crossed my mind they were the same. Well I noticed they looked similar. Just never paid attention much.

So I will have to look into and if so fix my rich problem.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:31 AM
Mike wrote:MadJack, I have an old cam card you posted a long time ago, Is this the one in your engine? Or the one going in?

What would be a good profile if I were to send mine out?

That cam is what's in the motor now. It would be better if the lobe centers were moved together one degree, i.e. advance the intake lobe one degree and retard the exhaust one degree. This would make the lobe centers 112* instead of 114*. The intake center line would be 108* instead of 109*.

I usually prefer a dual pattern cam on our motors when running N/A. you can get a broader powerband without sacrificing some of the idle quality for bigger cam lobes.

I have a few cam profiles that would work, depending on whether or not you are running stock springs or aftermarket springs. I can do more if you can swap to the Comp Cams 26981 springs.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:27 AM
Sounds good to me. I can toss the springs on my "To-Get" list.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:27 AM
whatcha shootin for mike?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search