97 Eco Tec Swap (almost complete) Gas tank question? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Eco Tec Swap (almost complete) Gas tank question?
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:58 AM
I swapped a 04 ecotec and auto trans into my 97 the only thing left of the 97 is the metal fuel tank what concerns me is that in the swap it says to use the 04 gas tank but why? i hooked the lines up to the motor and plugged the fuel pump in and all is well and running great aside from the evap not being hooked up in the correct spot as of yet! can someone please tell me why I must reuse the 04 plastic tank?

Re: 97 Eco Tec Swap (almost complete) Gas tank question?
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:26 AM
weight reduction lmfao jk
but when I did my racetronix pump in my 04 I took my stock pump and installed it in my friends 96 car runs fine they are the same pumps?
I see no reason why you need the 04 tank, wouldn't be a bad thing to pick up tho in time
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:05 AM
Chris Gatti wrote:weight reduction lmfao jk
but when I did my racetronix pump in my 04 I took my stock pump and installed it in my friends 96 car runs fine they are the same pumps?
I see no reason why you need the 04 tank, wouldn't be a bad thing to pick up tho in time

So you took the fuel pump assembly from your 04 and dropped it into the 96? Or just swapped the pump?

To the OP how exactly have you done this swap so far? What all have you swapped over. All wiring? Gauge cluster? This matters.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:12 AM
It wont kill you if you run over a box of nails with it. its lighter. it looks better. it wont deteriorate internally or externally. Far smaller chance of leaks. And in my experience its far easier to install and remove being lighter and having more of a rounded structure. You might not need it but its a really good thing to have
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:46 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

So you took the fuel pump assembly from your 04 and dropped it into the 96? Or just swapped the pump?

To the OP how exactly have you done this swap so far? What all have you swapped over. All wiring? Gauge cluster? This matters.

I took my stock pump from its housing. but both assembly were the same identical parts.
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:48 AM
i just changed my name wrote:It wont kill you if you run over a box of nails with it. its lighter. it looks better. it wont deteriorate internally or externally. Far smaller chance of leaks. And in my experience its far easier to install and remove being lighter and having more of a rounded structure. You might not need it but its a really good thing to have

X2 way easyer to install due to lightness. you could find one cheap too so why not?
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:32 PM
Chris Gatti wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

I took my stock pump from its housing. but both assembly were the same identical parts.

No they are not. The assembly from a plastic tank will not seal and lock into a metal tank. Also the readings from the fuel level sensor are different, so it messing with the gauge (depending on which cluster is being used).

When swapping just the pump as you did this is not a issue.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:16 AM
I have a complete 2004 parts car I was hoping to not have to mess with the fuel tank at all lol.
Okay as far as were I'm at in the swap the motor and transmission are bolted in secure, all the wiring has been replaced with the 2004 down to the door jamb switches I have a functioning car minus a fuel gauge but i was thinking you might be able to repin the connector going to the sending unit I'm guessing not. The other reason for not wanting to use the plastic tank is the last owner let this car sit for 6 years after it was wrecked and the pump is no good! but after a few comments it seems some are saying i can take the pump out of the 97 and it will work just the same in the 04?
Also does anyone know where i can pick up a set of 4 chrome alloy wheels that came on these cars ?
Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:01 AM
The fuel level sending units are not interchangeable, not eve with repinning. You could put your pump into the other pumps plastic module that has the right sending unit and fits the plastic tank though.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:15 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Chris Gatti wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

No they are not. The assembly from a plastic tank will not seal and lock into a metal tank. Also the readings from the fuel level sensor are different, so it messing with the gauge (depending on which cluster is being used).

When swapping just the pump as you did this is not a issue.

I stand corrected and thanks for the info.
thank god I didn't take the easy way out! lol
Friday, May 04, 2012 1:45 AM
Zs Z wrote:The fuel level sending units are not interchangeable, not eve with repinning. You could put your pump into the other pumps plastic module that has the right sending unit and fits the plastic tank though.

I think i will just swap pumps around then sigh stupid gas tanks....

Friday, May 04, 2012 2:05 AM
for ur wheel question...there usually somebody sellin aa set in the classifieds but i just checked and there are none...i haave the polished alum on my car...if u made me a good offer and willin to pick up id sell u mine lil bit of curb rash and good tires about 60% tread on all goodyear eagle

Friday, May 04, 2012 2:10 AM
Just realised ur the same guy that asked me about them on my wreck post.haha

Monday, May 07, 2012 5:34 PM
they swap tanks because the 97 is 0-90 ohms and the 00+ is 40-250ohm

you never have to worry about a rotten tank either

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search