3400 in 1st gen - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 in 1st gen
Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:36 PM
Hey guys and gals, new here, but not new to J-bodies. got a swap question that I'm hoping someone can answer...
Wondering if anyone here has ever put a 3400 in an 87 or 88 Z24... I'm replacing the engine in my 87 Z24/5-spd and I was given a low-mile 3400 for free, but I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to find any information on... both the 3400 and my 87 are MAF, not speed density, and I'm trying to figure out if and how I can hook the MAF from the 3400 to my 87 ECM so I can use the 3400 injectors instead of the 2.8 ones... I went thru the swap article on V6Z24, but it was for a 2nd gen, which are mostly SD, and the article didn't discuss the MAF at all...
Just to clarify, the engine is from a 99 Alero, and I have the PCM and harness, but from what I understand, my 87 electronics should be able to run the engine perfectly fine just by splicing the 3400 injector pigtails into my 87 harness...
now I figure I could just run the 2.8 MAF and injectors just to get it running, but I understand that they will run short on flow capacity at higher rpm's. plus a buddy has a 3500 upper plenum for me to swap once the car is running, but there's no point me even thinking about that if I can't get enough fuel into the engine with just the stock intake...
also, I DO have the equipment and software to burn chips for OBD1 if I need to, so if I have to modify the programming for the 3400 MAF and/or injectors, I can, but I would definitely need more information on what to change and where to find the proper specs...

if anyone here has information or links or even just advice on this swap, all input is greatly appreciated.
I'm not looking to build a racecar, this is just a winter beater/commuter, the car itself is in too rough of shape and too many miles to get really fancy with, I only decided to use this engine because it was free, but I love the car, love my 1st gen Z's, and would really like to get this car back on the road before winter... And I really miss driving it, lol...

thanks in advance
Anthony

Re: 3400 in 1st gen
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:02 AM
I know this thread was posted over a month ago, but check out both 60degreeV6.com and V6Z24.com
Lots of guys have swapped 3x00 engines in place of 2.8 and 3.1 MPFI engines and those two sites have a lot of info on the swap.

Good luck, and post some pics of your car in Photos & Media here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search