Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 9 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:34 AM
Ron-

I was talking about the big honking black and chrom door molding. Although you have manage to find something else my car needs

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:00 PM
Ron,
I think those are the seals between the door windows and the rear quarter windows.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:31 PM
Now I'm confused too....
I'm thinking Paul is referring to the trim running along side the door - along the lower beltline.Goes along the sides from bumper to bumper??? That stuff my Base Model Bird is Missin'

Oh the agony of not knowin' what to call all this fancy GM stuff

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:56 PM
You got it Orlen...

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:58 PM
Ok paul got that trim piece straight now.I kind of figured the seal I linked was for the quarter window for sure between the front glass and 1/4 part.At least these are known to be available.I seem to find the weirdest stuff surfing for random parts and not something I do not need.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:02 PM
Ok hit the junk pile today.Found a 86 rs cav and got a lot of parts.List is coolant tank,2.0 valve cover with the grooves(hard to find) side quarter windows and rubber seals and all the brackets and screws.I have a spare speedometer cluster(like my cars) plus cable for it,Idk why but grabbed the full steering column because it has TILT and did it right by getting the cruise cable that goes to the shifter have the plastic nuts for tail lights and all the emblems not great shape(can paint) got the side trim pieces black with red stripe for the ones that actually still have it.I have the rubber boots that goe in the trunk over the top for the shock mounts,and a rare find is the factory cardboard with insulation that go over the rear speaker (these are never seen) based on my visits.If I left something off like 1 first gen strut bar!!! This item is to be sold already for a awaiting buyer on my list.In short I am dead tired was prepared with lots of water and a cooler but,dang it was stupid hot today.Tried to get this in some kind of order.The strut bar came off a1990 z and it was ok with the cowl induction hood and car was intact with wear showing.

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:01 AM
Wow - Yet another nice haul. I am hoping to go back to my yard today if I can sneak out of work...

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:09 AM
dont know where ur comming across all this first gen stuff at. I been at a couple yards all over here in pa and md and this year i have ran into 1 first gen...
Friday, July 19, 2013 2:33 PM
I agree, not much 1st gen stuff in JYs around here. Score again for Ron!!!!!!1

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:58 PM
Ron does do pretty good, doesn't he!! LoL Thats J - Passion for you, he can smell 'em out!!!

Your cable running off the Column hints that it came from an Automatic?

Quarter Windows

Glad to see you scored a Speedo!! Still feel bad I dropped the ball on that one for you on that chop top a couple of years ago. Yep, I still remember.

I swear I do believe if Ron keeps going, he'll darn near have a complete spare car just in parts. Isn't that everyone's goal on here, though....

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:41 PM
Yeah orlen the steering column came from a automatic.I guess I am in a area where some more of the 80's stuff shows up from time to time.I pretty much get as much usuable parts I can to save and or sell.I really want to go back for a few smaller items left on the car that I really want to save as spare pieces.The body was ok front bumper kind of banged up but,not major.I was just toast after spending three hours digging and they were lining up two or three rows of new gm cars when I was dripping in sweat and just sunburned.I kept things simple today and cleaned up my car,and went out with the wife for our Friday shopping and then cleaned her car.I wish I could find just one front Z chin spoiler after all my hunting.I guess once I get some vac time I can take more time to search some yards further out but,a there and back trip for a day.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:19 PM
corey--which yards have you been to?

I'm thinking of doing a big junkyard tour in a few weeks, but i'd love to know where you've been before I decide where to go.
Friday, October 18, 2013 11:42 PM
Ok a touch off topic but this is related.This is my NEW 2014 Toyota Tacoma access cab 4x4 with a 5spd manual.This NOW will be my junkyard hauler,and yeah I traded my 2011 Honda civic and it was a great car,BUT a auto and not enough haul room.I just can't use my 87 mazda as often and wanted a truck since well 24years of it being a daily I was having truck withdrawal.I did enjoy my civic and at the time of purchase was happy to switch over to a car.I however the last couple of months just needed a truck seems a lot for daily things and the car was not ideal and the automatic (was boring really).I have work to do on the mazda and now can enjoy trucking again and shift those gears plus lots of room..

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:33 AM
Nice truck Ron. Exactly the setup I would have chosen if I was going with a Yota.

Maybe someday it will end up like my nephews Yota mud truck.... LoL

It started out as a daily driver.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:21 AM
My Girlfriend really wants that truck but the one 2 years earlier with the different face on it. the 09-12 version. I love the color choice though.
I myself really want a 5 or 6 speed manual small truck.
Dig the choice
Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:47 PM
"Toyoda" - - - The Modern Day Chevrolet!! I believe more Americans are engaged in the manufacturing of these vehicles than our "so called domestic" models.

This is real good reading if anyone is interested:

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:25 PM
I have always liked the Tacoma over any domestic small truck.I know this will better serve my needs than my civic(I do miss it) but,I guess after my thoughts and looking back a truck was my favorite over a car.The pluses are this brand and model are just better and hold value which do play a factor in the demise of the big three mid size just were not doing as well.I know after two days of going to and from work soley this truck is a lot of fun to drive for sure.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:31 PM
Just to let you know the tocoma was made by GM since 95-2010. I don't know if they are still made but it was part of the contract the signed in 94. Where gm sold the cavalier as a Toyota cavalier in Japan and the tocoma was made by gm and sold as a Toyota here. Kind of like the hummer still a gm truck chassis.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, October 21, 2013 5:45 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:"Toyoda" - - - The Modern Day Chevrolet!! I believe more Americans are engaged in the manufacturing of these vehicles than our "so called domestic" models.

Blasphemy
http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/
American Parts Content by vehicle 2007-2014

Congrats on the new truck Ron . Chevy/GMC will be releasing there small truck sometime next year, hopefully it will be as good if not better than the Tacoma.

Monday, October 21, 2013 7:10 AM
Rob--

that build was part of the NUMMI factory in California. After the GM bankruptcy, GM left the NUMMI deal, and Toyota abandoned the California facility to avoid unionization.

The new Tacoma is made in a non-union plant in Texas.

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:20 AM
Blasphemy....perhaps, but I'm certainly not prejudiced. A job is a job in this country - especially in this day and time. A lot of well paid - steady work in this country comes from the makes of Toyota, Honda, Nissan ,Hyundai,BMW and even Mercedes. It is a blessing these businesses have come here to employ our people. I hang head at our domestics that go North and South of the borders to do what they could do right here.

I would rather see a vehicle bought - that is produced here - than one brought in from across a border or from a port - whatever the source.

Was any of the J-Bodies assembled in Canada? I thought some were but am not sure.

I would like to add that these Americans that work in these "other" factories are not interested in being unionized - and enjoy secure jobs making vehicles that are highly competitive and profitable. Our own have had decades to do the same - instead they go to our Government for Bailouts. There is always the possibility that they can do the same and compete sucessufully one day.

I certainly enjoy my J-Bodies - but those days are ....like most of the cars themselves ,long gone. During their day the J-Bodies were the most popular cars made.

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:30 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:Blasphemy....perhaps, but I'm certainly not prejudiced. A job is a job in this country - especially in this day and time. A lot of well paid - steady work in this country comes from the makes of Toyota, Honda, Nissan ,Hyundai,BMW and even Mercedes. It is a blessing these businesses have come here to employ our people. I hang head at our domestics that go North and South of the borders to do what they could do right here.

I would rather see a vehicle bought - that is produced here - than one brought in from across a border or from a port - whatever the source.

Was any of the J-Bodies assembled in Canada? I thought some were but am not sure.

I would like to add that these Americans that work in these "other" factories are not interested in being unionized - and enjoy secure jobs making vehicles that are highly competitive and profitable. Our own have had decades to do the same - instead they go to our Government for Bailouts. There is always the possibility that they can do the same and compete sucessufully one day.

I certainly enjoy my J-Bodies - but those days are ....like most of the cars themselves ,long gone. During their day the J-Bodies were the most popular cars made.

Not knocking the foreigners for hiring here just offering some info to correct you . Also some of those companies did take bailout money from their countries Governments.
GM has become the biggest disappointment in my opinion. After the bailout their American Parts content has dropped considerably. Take for example the Cobalt/G5 which had 82% American parts content. It's replacement the Cruze just 56% American Parts Content. Even worse they're designing vehicles outside of the USA for the USA , the 2013 Malibu for example.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:26 AM
Problem is the profits the company makes goes back to japan, not the US, the little bit of money they throw the way of the worker screwing these import @!#$boxes together doesn't add up to @!#$ for our economy. I'll just keep buying used American car that where built in America, I'll never buy another car newer than 96 again.
Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:33 PM
Came across a Skyhawk sedan @ Cherry Picked auto parts today. It was either in a drive-by shooting or someone used it as target practice as it was riddled with bullet holes. Interior was nice though especially the seats and if I could have wrangled a truck and it wasn't freaking freezing here I would have grabbed the seats for my Cavy. Thought I scored you Buick guys some Buick center caps but they were frozen in a block of ice in the left open trunk. Whoever owned it jerry rigged the stereo used foam padding instead of an install kit which would have had a plastic bezel to cover the 1.5 Din opening. Finally was able to score an armrest for the wife's Saturn though and it only cost me $5, got half a mind to go back and get the other one I seen as they regularly go for $30-40 on ebay. Also was a nice Corvair there looks like it was somebody's project car, too bad it will be crushed soon as it is solid with all the body parts, looks like it just need a new coat of primer and paint.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search