V8Z24 ...for real ! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
V8Z24 ...for real !
Saturday, July 07, 2012 11:35 PM
Well, here's my project. Some of you may laugh, but I figured I'd share it on this site since there's a pretty decent crowd on it.
Here's the story. We've chopped up one of the most solid 1982 Firenza shells ever, and combined it with a narrowed S10 frame, so it's a rwd v8 cavalier.
We've had quite a few problems with it(of course), but it's actually coming along rather well. I'm hoping for some feedback, and if anyone has questions just fire them at me,
I don't really know what all to explain because the pictures are pretty self explanatory. I have more on v6z24.com but I'll post some of the more important.

that mock up was just for a joke haha.

That's it up to date. The stage we're at is getting the steering column figured out so it doesn't hit the headers, and trimming the floor to make way for the headers. We just finished putting the floor + cage + firewall in.
I'll go into depth what we do as it goes on, there's just too much to explain if i started to say what we've done haha.
But feel free to ask questions! and expect progress in the upcoming months.

Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Sunday, July 08, 2012 12:37 AM
Sweet project

Sunday, July 08, 2012 6:27 AM
will be watching this one...

Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:34 AM
looks great. amazing job.

but why does everyone that does a v8 cavalier project do huge tires and a massive engine sticking out the hood?

sleeper that damn thing!

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:43 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:looks great. amazing job.

but why does everyone that does a v8 cavalier project do huge tires and a massive engine sticking out the hood?

sleeper that damn thing!

Hell yeah! I'm with Brad. Great work so far, though. Subscribed for sure.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 8:53 AM
I'm just glad to see some J's saved from a trip to China, but I sure appreciate the long hours and hard work you've put in , and will put in!!
These mods are a TON of work!!

I also like the idea of a RWD sleeper - don't think I've seen this done.

Well, the man has Two Hatches - (you lucky dog!!) - He could do one mild and one Wild!!

I do think the sleeper would take a lot more work and creativity, since one would have to go to great lengths to hide so many mods as much as possible. Lots of potential ideas for one though, especially considering the modern engines and suspensions available today!!

Slick Vic has been doing some great stuff in the field, and probably could share some cool tips and tricks!!:-)

Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:00 PM
There is a guy in my area that did a sleeper v8 conversion on a 86 Dodge Daytona. It looks stock, then it spins the rears - MONEY!!!

Sunday, July 08, 2012 3:56 PM
Looks good. Rear tires aren't big enough. LOL

I like the metal front end, but mine is extended for the speed im running. 105" Wheelbase.

87 Cavalier 400.9" SBC 9.286@143 NA.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 4:04 PM
Sorry for the double pic post..this the pic i was trying to post.

87 Cavalier 400.9" SBC 9.286@143 NA.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 5:49 PM
What cage did you use?

Sunday, July 08, 2012 10:31 PM
Wayy cool project there.Granted I am a stock guy and could never bring myself to mod a 1st gen into a beast like that.Nice work and good luck with the outcome.Great stuff and may it continue.Sweet!!!!!!

Monday, July 09, 2012 6:36 AM
looks like your setting up another drag car? nice work, would really like o see someone build one for the street tho. i'd still like to see more of the build
Monday, July 09, 2012 1:07 PM
Aaron Agar wrote:looks like your setting up another drag car? nice work, would really like o see someone build one for the street tho. i'd still like to see more of the build

Actually this is a street car. it`s just pro street haha.

I`ll post more pictures this weekend once i get home and do some work. I`m currently stuck on base not being able to touch it throughout the week.
also, the cage we used is a 8pt for a vega(fit like a charm!). Thanks for all the feedback though guys!

Slick Vic, I looked at your car and all I can say is good job! and thanks for posting in this thread!

This weekend the car comes back to my own garage so I`ll probably just get a case and beer and slave away at it the whole time I`m home. so expect some pics
Monday, July 09, 2012 4:43 PM
8 pt. cage for a Vega - how ironic!!

Vega & Monza were essentially the bodystyles preceding the J-body design in size and class - pretty amazing!!

Years ago there were V-8 Monza hatchbacks running around. The '75 models even came stock with the 350 cid before dropping back to the venerable 305 :-)

Maybe one day after you get finished you might chance a photo beside an old Monza Spyder - would be such a treat!!

Darn....the older I get it just gets easier and easier to show my age...... Guess at least I'm not going on about the Corvair - that was before my time!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:38 PM
We've been working away at it, and we've got a lot accomplished.
we got the inside completely sealed, and painted.
we painted the rollcage,
but we're trying to figure out our windshield wiper situation so we can finish the firewall.
we're also working on the bumpers making them fit the firenza body(didn't know there was such a difference), and find fenders(big difference.)
I've been to every local parts store and can't find any fenders anywhere, so if someone knows a place I can order online that'd be appreciated, because I know I can't find any locally around here, because they're all rotten haha.
We also bought a 1994 z24 parts car, for parts for both my cavaliers, my 90 z24 and my hatch
but anyways, here's a few peektures!

Also, if anyones interested, the 1982 firenza body I'm using, I found the owner before me's page on google.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/713072/1982-oldsmobile-firenza
Kinda funny now that it's all cut up and put on a s10 frame with a v8..
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:13 PM
Things are looking pretty nice there.LIKE the roll bar color!That is a crap load of work for sure.Kudos to you

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:43 AM
Should have left it all Olds and stuffed a Rocket 350 in it. Too bad the car was so nice should have just got a junkyard shell but those are hard to come by with all the crushing and sending the leftover to China. Good job on the fab work

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:00 AM
Well,
progress has been slow due to the fact I've barely been able to get home, but we've got some work done.
We've put the motor we're going to run until the 383 built in, the 700r4 in place. and have been mocking up close to everything haha. including putting headers, carb, and all the linkage on.soon comes the wiring! ....not looking forward to it ahaha
I'm still trying to find cavalier fenders just so we can have the front end put together without rigging anything up,
but if not I think I'm going to use the firenza fenders + hood, and just cut the Z24 kit to fit.
I'm off contract tomorrow, so I'm basically going to be working on this car everyday until I go out west to Alberta, sept 7th.
Here's a few pictures taken, but expect picture whorage to happen as I work nonstop the next couple weeks.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:10 PM
I haven't posted in a while but my lifes been busy.
since the last update, We've got some plumbing done, carb on, some linkage done, made measurements for new seats to buy, getting wiring harness figuered out, etc etc.
I even bought a 86 z24 coupe for parts for the hatch.
Since Sept 7th, I've been out west in Alberta ( just bought a 88 cav wagon for a car while I'm out here ), and will be going back home around christmas, so until then no work will be done to the car, exept for by my father when he's drunk.
So until then, these are probably the only pictures i'll post.

$300, and it runs and drives. Had so much fun beating this after i stripped the front clip off it haha.

And here's my project/daily driver for while I'm out here working in Alberta.(my girlfriend loves it.)

Currently the car is:
1982 Olds Firenza shell
1987 Cavalier Z24 everything else.
1986 cavalier z24 front clip
1987 S10 frame
Tubbed
2 inch drop springs
2 inch drop spindles
1981 camaro rearend shortened, posi with 3:42s
stock 305 for a motor (just to get it mobile, while i build the 383)
Built 700r-4, with stock converter for now.
8 pt rollcage for a vega
wilwood brakebooster + pedal
aaaaand the paint I'm painting the car is plum crazy(already painted the cage)
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:11 PM
Well I see you have a spare ride now.And work getting done.I do not know if that white Z you trailered in has parts you want to sell maybe.I need none BUT if it has a front strut bar going from the top strut tower left to right I know there are at least two people here looking for said part.Being the yr model you have it may or may not have one and figure why not ask.I know you should be aware of what it is and throwing this out there so if your wanting to sell some things to be saved on some daily (not so daily drivers) can use some extra items.Good luck with your project and going junkyarding myself thurs finally after several wks being too busy.

Saturday, October 06, 2012 3:11 PM
My dad's been drunk and bored, so he's been working on my car while I've been out in Alberta.
My mother just sent me a few pictures of my car and what he's done and bought with money i sent back home.
hope you enjoy as much as I did. It sure made me miss home even more.

Saturday, October 06, 2012 8:01 PM
The V8 Z24 looks like its getting there, and if you keep buying parts cars, you will have enough spare parts to build another one.

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:16 PM
Well, I'm flying home November 20th with my girlfriend, so we'll be able to work on this pretty girl within the month. .
My fuel cell came in, and my father put it in, along with the shifter.
I've been doing a lot of shopping for this lately so hopefully when I get home, all of my parts will have arrived. Including some euro headlights.
A problem I've been thinking about more and more, is the windshield wiper motor. I don't know what to do about that, as in, use the stock cavalier one, relocate it, and cut the arms to fit, or try an s10 one with the arms, or what. It's one of the things that need to be taken care of as soon as possible, so we can finish the firewall and weld the top back in.
I'm really looking forward to going home and being able to work on it though so we can get the body done, and primed(possibly painted). Get this beast running, and order some new axles so we can take it for a rip up the road.
Once again, the biggest hassle is going to be the wiring. It's such a mess.
No pictures, but I figured I'd post an update. Only 25 more days
Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:07 PM
Here's a few pictures my mom just e-mailed me.
19 more days and I get to be with my hatch again .

Can't wait to get new seats...

If anyone wants to see all the other pictures that don't show up in the thread anymore,
my facebook photo album is public.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2014870045950.2115239.1069782255&type=1
Hopefully that'll work haha.

Anyways. Can't wait to get back home and work on it. and clean it the frig up.
Thanks!
Saturday, November 03, 2012 11:08 AM
"Some of us may laugh?" I seriously dought that......especially me, Cody. Great work. I only dream of turning my '86 vert to a RWD LS powered beast. Keep up the great work, man.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search