My 3D renders, next paintjob - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 3D renders, next paintjob
Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:39 PM
Hi guys, 5 years ago I modeled my car in 3d and then sent it to the shop,
this was the result:

And now It's time for new look, I made many renders and this are some of the colors I like:

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Re: My 3D renders, next paintjob
Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:54 PM
I'm loving the brown with orange stripes and the blue with black. Leaning more towards the brown. Car looks amazing by the way.

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:03 AM
Brown with the orange stripes is really cool. Clean 1st gen!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, January 20, 2014 7:21 AM
I would move the rally strips apart till the edge of the strip runs into the edge of the grill. Maybe continue them done the bumper also?

Looks good man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 20, 2014 7:41 AM
Great job on the 3D model. I'm a sucker for black gloss base, but I'm not sure the brown would stand out enough. Unless its the subtle look you were going for.

1985 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan
2.0L I4 TBI OHV
Monday, January 20, 2014 9:35 AM
Thanks, right now there is a 4 way tie, the last time I painted it, it was until I was at
the shop that I decided the color.
I like the black and orange , but as John says I donīt know if in real life the car
is going to look too forced , like trying too hard. The brown is a little more subtle.
Thanks, hopefully in a month more or less Iīll take it to the shop and then
Iīll post pictures of the car.
Cheers

My Cardomain page :

Monday, January 20, 2014 4:42 PM
I like the blueish with black stripes, but I would stop the stripes on the hood and not spill onto the nose.

I have to ask, why do you need a paint job after only 5 years?
Monday, January 20, 2014 4:52 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:I like the blueish with black stripes, but I would stop the stripes on the hood and not spill onto the nose.

I have to ask, why do you need a paint job after only 5 years?

Hi Wayne, about 6 months ago the clearcoat started to fall off, itīs not burned but
water got between the paint and clear forming bubles. The warranty was for just 2
years so I canīt go and complain.

My Cardomain page :

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:14 PM
It is so nice to see the Sedan bodystyle get some Love and Respect!!

This is really a beautiful Sedan!! So many were used abused and ended up as donors.

My vote is for you to impress yourself , Kuenstler. It will be you that always takes that look across your shoulder before you walk in the house and glancing admirably walking to it across a parking lot. I think you got good ideas - change your color and keeping the interest alive.

Thanks for the post!! Keep us posted of your progress

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:38 PM
The graphics above are nice.I however am taking a step more towards a more original appearance idea.I say go with a solid color like the factory colors offered back in the day and then do a flat black that would go around the cars front lower valence and lead to the fenders and run up and over and back down and low the length of the car to the rear fenders and wrap around the back bumper.I would suggest the line be say 3/4 inches (just on thought) to recreate the Z24 theme just one color flat blk.I hope this makes sense and by no means do I think the ideas you have are not solid.I am super tired and nice stuff you did.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:58 AM
It is a shame you have to paint it. I think it looks great now. After reading I understand why. My fav of the new ones is the last one - black with burgundy stripes. I am thinking it would be a lot of work to go from a light color to a dark color though. I am just going on colors and not actual work

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:59 AM
I like the white with black stripes the best. Do you have a 3d model of a 2 door or a Z24?
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:52 PM
I'm still thinking five years is a really short time. How was the paint done...was it sanded to metal first, or was it like Macco where they just paint over what is already there for a nice cheap price? Or was it something in between?
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:10 PM
I'm liking the black and Burgundy myself. Kick out the fender flares and change the interior to black would be awesome.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:22 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:I'm still thinking five years is a really short time. How was the paint done...was it sanded to metal first, or was it like Macco where they just paint over what is already there for a nice cheap price? Or was it something in between?

Maybe was something in between. They sanded it, then applied primer, then painted it black.
They told me the white color works better with that base, then, they painted the dark gray zones for the stripes,
after that the white and finally the clear coat.
The paint doesn't look dull or burned, a friend told me that maybe there was too much humidity
when they applied the clearcoat , who knows. At the time I paid 500 dlls, so I don't think it was so bad.
9 years before that I painted it yellow, and it costed the same.

Wadus, sorry, I just modeled mine

My Cardomain page :

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:17 PM
I really like seeing the old pics.I rethought my idea on the flat black all around to a degree.I would go with soley on the lower valence and then bottom of rockers up to make even with the front and rear bumper below where the moulding would be.Idk I guess with such low cost any paint scheme is super nice for some fresh paint.You do have a nice sedan as it is!!!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:21 AM
Heck Yeah!!

At $500 I thinks you got a bargain

That averages out to just $100/year. Sweet!! And a darn nice paint scheme too boot!! My way of thinking is at $500 you can definately afford to repaint every 5 years and enjoy a bit of eye candy at the same time. Kinda like buying your girl a pretty dress, Huh?

I just hate clearcoat myself. Yeah it looks good, but everything underneath depends on that final coat and once it is rubbish everything goes downhill mighty fast. Not to mention peeling clearcoat is the worst sight. There is a whole lotta hard work that goes to waste when that Clearcoat fails!!

Thanks for the photos!! That is one darn nice Sedan Man!!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:14 PM
Yeah, I'm with Orlen on the $500 = great deal, and if not for that clearcoat issue, might have lasted even longer.

Thanks for sharing that price, it will give me some idea of what I should be considering paying when the time comes. I was hoping to get mine done, but with the rust being what it is, that's all I could get done for now.
Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:11 AM
$500.00 is incredibly inexpensive, TOO INEXPENSIVE. Quite frankly, if the paint is applied correctly and is of a decent quality, with proper care it should last 30 years (not withstanding body rot, dents, dings and scratches).
If the clear is bubbling in five years, it was either a super poor quality product or the surface was poorly prepared.
I might consider spending the extra $ and get a better quality paint job. I'm restoring a 1970 VW Beetle and the paint job alone is going to set me back around $1600.00.

~ Mike ~

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:29 AM
30 years is quite a ways out there IMO. Heck factory paint jobs are fortunate to last may.......be 20. My sweetie's 3rd gen Cavy is peeling pretty healthy nowadays and it is only 15 years old. Not to say if one has a Mercedes they should expect to have longer paint life. Also location and if kept out of the elements might play a role as well.

Also if someone is going to put north of 3K worth of body restoration and paint on an automobile it probably will live as a garage queen and obviously continue to have that fresh paint look to it a lot longer. You get above $3k - ( $1,500 bodywork + $1,500 Paint ) and a lot of folks are probably into trading and buying something else a lot of times.

No doubt that $500 is inexpensive though - and a custom 2 tone job at that! I think he did good with 5 years for that

Just wondering what kinds of clearcoat is out there. I guess there is cheapo and expensive. Would it be wise to go with cheap base coats and follow up with top shelf clear coat to top it all off with?

Saturday, January 25, 2014 2:36 PM
I love the last one, but do the stripes with silver base, and candy the whole car dark cherry.

Also, you should carry the stripes all the way through the bumpers IMO.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:54 AM
Ron Love wrote:The graphics above are nice.I however am taking a step more towards a more original appearance idea.I say go with a solid color like the factory colors offered back in the day and then do a flat black that would go around the cars front lower valence and lead to the fenders and run up and over and back down and low the length of the car to the rear fenders and wrap around the back bumper.I would suggest the line be say 3/4 inches (just on thought) to recreate the Z24 theme just one color flat blk.I hope this makes sense and by no means do I think the ideas you have are not solid.I am super tired and nice stuff you did.

Reminds me of the Monte Carlo SS stripe package.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:53 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:30 years is quite a ways out there IMO. Heck factory paint jobs are fortunate to last may.....be20.

A 29 year old paint job !
Granted it probably hasn't seen too much bad weather except for the last two years which it has been run 12 months a year, but wash her every other week, wax her three times a year, and you should expect to get a long time out of a decent paint job.
I had a dark blue 1995 Ford Taurus that I sold on 2011 that had all original paint that looked as good as it did the day I bought it, and it never sat indoors when not in use.
It isn't easy to keep the paint looking sharp for 15+ years, but it is certainly possible - as long as it's a quality paint job.
The main thing that causes clear coat to peel is poor surface preparation or too long a span of time allowing the base coat to cure (or too little) before the top coat.
Poor product (or non-compatible product) could have played a part as well, but I'm leaning more toward poor surface prep.

~ Mike ~

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:01 AM
Oh, and I'd go with the black with dark maroon stripes. That combo looks great on that rendering !

~ Mike ~

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:36 PM
84conv wrote:I'm liking the black and Burgundy myself. Kick out the fender flares and change the interior to black would be awesome.

this one gets my vote too. Black Leather inside with seat inserts to match the stripes
dennis
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search