What things are you busy with that side track your car work - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Friday, April 04, 2014 10:17 PM
Being the topic is what items or projects slow down your to do's on your car?I will say sunny has lots awaiting and I do have all the parts to at least complete the rear end upgrades and fix some minor things inside.Lately between just cleaning my house,mowing my two yards(mother n law next doors yard) and just loads of small items.1st installed a brand new mail box post with a new box,new numbers and concreted solid.Next replaced a entire rail assembly on my mil deck as it was warped and just done.Then replaced two bushes at yeah the mil's house new compost and flowering bushes and dirty it was but better now.I have cleaned up both outdoor buildings bleach and pressure washed and both need fresh paint.Aside from keeping my new truck clean and the wifes car which I just did a oil change today.The wifes car is getting a coolant flush,new hoses and thermostat housing as it is plastic and leaks a touch now.Her car is also due a new set of plugs,coil packs and injector flush and I really need to do the struts there 10yrs old before a alignment.I just get buried in small things I can get done which are important and just side track my cars stuff.I am slating time this coming week to do the wifes coolant job and try and get sunnys radio harness back to oem plug in and use the correct aftermarket adaptor.Then remove my shifter and clean and lube it.I will not start the ebrake cables and rear stuff for maybe two weeks so I can prepare to actually get it all done aside from any issues that may arise.I know we all get side tracked and so many have not posted in sooo long and that is expected as a non daily driver or maybe yours is are not needing work or upgrades.Busy on my days off is a understatement but,I am making good progress.I am tired long day outside.

Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:17 AM
Money, know how and weather are about the only things that keep me away from constantly improving the hawk.

Last summer I had all those parts and stayed very focused, but than I always have that intensity when I want something bad enough.
Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:02 AM
Wow - Great Thread Ron.

I am going through a job change that is knocking me around a bit. Also going to be doing a vehicle refresh in the next 6 months or so that is taking my focus off the projects. I have four children with continuously evolving social schedules (6, 8, 11, and 13).
House projects
exterior painting finally done last fall
interior painting - I hate painting
Rake out the lawn
move shed due to housing association - long story

MOPAR
I think it may be time to part her out
Pervasive rust on brake lines, shock towers, all closures
starts right up and runs great on 4 new tires - ugh...

Cub Scouts
I have a Pack I run so that takes time here and there
We just did our Pinewood Derby

Camaro Projects
All four wheels back on now
Front Brake hard line swap
AC reading high pressure with no cold air

Sunbird
Hood insulator on
Driver side CV axle and seals in garage ready to go on
Working with Orlen on some AC parts
Still have to figure out my plan for top and window molding

More of a summary on everything, but there you go

Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:01 PM
Heck paul with those 4 kids that is enough to def keep you tied up.Speaking of painting I am planning to repaint the inside of my garage as it needs a refresh.I do not hate painting just moving stuff,covering things up from splatter mostly.It normally takes me two or three days to do this job with trimming out the walls,ceiling which is every bit of ten feet high.My problem is using the kerosene heaters during the cold makes or leaves a film on the paint over time and plus the marks and stuff.I will hold off till pollen season is done to due this so I can put some stuff outside while dry.Long day so done for now.

Monday, April 07, 2014 9:21 PM
I was able to get the left hand outside door handle replaced on the Z today. It broke on the wife Sunday. That was kind of an emergency. The fuel pump quit on the Trans Am and the day I go to move it I find the right rear wheel is locked up. My dad and I got it free but we sacrificed the drum and shoe hardware in the process. I bought a new truck last month and its developed a misfire so I guess its time for a tune up. I've got a full plate for the next month.

Monday, April 07, 2014 9:28 PM
I see you get to do just the job I fixed on my cav with the fuel pump and strainer both kind of crapping out.Sure seems when things pop up it just never seems to stop.I think if I had a good month off paid of course I could actually get most of my wanted to do's done.Fun

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 7:13 AM
The biggest thing keeping me from working on my cars is the weather.
Nova Scotia's been getting hit by snow constantly (I'm hoping it's stopped now haha).
The garage I work at is at my parents house which is a pain in the ass to drive to when the roads are covered in ice and snow, then you have to light a fire and keep it going to warm the garage up enough to make it even workable in.
Work has kept me from working on either of my cars, and my pup as well.
The hatchback is shoved up against the wall so working on is difficult anyway, so I'm hoping if the snow holds off and the sun sticks around for a bit, I'm going to move my 240sx out of the garage and moving the hatchback over so I can FINALLY start working on it again.
There's a few car shows popping up right away next month that I'm debating on taking it too, so I misawell use that as a reason to get it done asap.

I took this a little while ago when I uncovered it with the ambition of wetsanding + buffing the car, but I had to go away for work and never got around to it yet....

Once the 240 is moved and the hatch is over in its place, I'm going to dedicate a lot of time to it, and then hopefully take some pictures of it in the sun up the road or something.
Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:59 PM
Well now that I am in care of 4 J-Bodies I can say it would seem that there will be times when 1 J will probably sidetrack another if not the good ole Ranger!

Got more projects on the line than Carter got Liverpills!!

Friday, April 11, 2014 8:07 PM
My two ....um...distractions:
2002 Victory Touring Cruiser Deluxe motorcycle:

My 1970 Volkswagen Beetle project:

They both are my passions. Been riding for over 30 years and this is about the 8th VW I've owned/restored over the years.

Not to mention my TWO JOBS, converting my 27" x 16" deck from wolmanized to composite wood and working out two to three times a week....
My neighbors always asks me; "When do you ever rest??"
I tell him: "When I'm dead.."

~ Mike ~

Friday, April 11, 2014 8:45 PM
Neat project car and that bike is pretty shiny too.I am making headway on my small odd jobs here before the old cav takes some steps towards showing progress again.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:57 AM
Lots of busy people here Our first gens are just one part of well rounded lives - that is for sure. Weather forecast is 60+ degrees here today so I may get some time with the cars - whoopee!

Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:42 AM
ha I see people saying weather is stopping them... if your car is in a garage the weather is not stopping you. what is stopping me is funds, location (no garage or even a shed for tools.) currently working on getting a daily driver on the road.

If anyone down south see's the bumper caps for 82-83 Cimarron's, I'm in need of some. two of mine just fell apart this winter. yes, storing it outside sucks.
Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:31 PM
Aaron go to ebay and buy yourself a waterproof car cover!!! While I do store mine indoors my alternate old ride stays outside covered year round with a legit water proof cover.My issue is getting things more relevant to my daily functions done before I do more cavy work and let there not be any nephews cars show up needing something done(sigh).I will say I am about half way done on the home things and once to a good point will tackle my own car again maybe even this week in small amounts.

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:35 PM
How about car projects that create more car projects? Looks like I am doing control arms on the bird along with the axles. It just makes sense at this point.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:28 PM
Why not tie rods too while you are all greasy?

New CV's, Ball Joints & Tie Rods = All New Balls for the Vert!!

I'd LOVE to overhaul the front ends of both my 1st Gens - and will get there one day too. I just can't decide if I want to replace just the strut or the whole strut assembly. As little the miles I put on each probably just the strut would probably be a fine choice.

Incidently, are you going to overhaul the old arms or replace the whole units?

If your lower bushings are tired, Paul, please take a look at your sway bar bushings too. I replaced those on my old Ranger and it was the best 20-something dollars I ever spent!! Got them from Prothane and recommend them.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:08 AM
Paul just do the whole front end.In short my plan is to do the quick strut and do my tie rods,ball joints,A arm bushings and bearings at one time.Granted I have to buy the parts first.Now on the story of doing a restoration job or replacement of parts and the job gets bigger that def fits the thread.Classic example is my car was due a state safety and then my fuel pump/strainer were toast and my fuel gauge did not work.So side tracked I was as I had to fix more just to get my car running and then take for said inspection like 3wks later(due to snow etc making the roads wet) and the sun fun car hates dirty water.I am sooo tired long 14hr day and will ramble more tues when not so wiped out.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:57 PM
No new updates on the car yet.However I am making progress fixing or doing house/home work so I can set (REAL) time to get sunny started on.Short list replaced access door and poured concrete at my mother n laws house and installed a drain to vent the water away.Did a bunch of small items yard related and done.I am holding off some simple things like painting my outside building and the mil's too,and putting a new coat of Thompson's water seal on her deck(pollen is horrid) so cupcake to do.So that said as you guys get things done update what you have finished as it happens.Today was easy mowed,weedeater stuff,cleaned some areas of my house with bleach (porch) for a quick clean of polleeennnnn.Thursday I take the wife for a day surgery and she will be knocked out for this.So I will have to assist her a touch more as she will be sore for a couple of days.And lastly I have no idea why my sig want show (cardomain shows it) but I want to update a different one and have not decided just yet.Kinda tired from the outdoors thing and getting in sooo late this AM yep and getting up sooner than I wanted to but,the yard want wait to be groomed.

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:31 AM
Front End Updates...

Thanks for the advice guys. I took care of my sway bar links and bushings when I did the powder on it a couple of years ago. I also did the tie rod end links a couple of years ago as the boots were leaking - and you all know I hate leaks.

I am going to tap the axle out this weekend and replace the seal and test fit everything. I am leaning towards buying a complete lower control arm and being done with it. I have never had good luck pressing in new bushings without the whole arm caving in.

Sunday, May 04, 2014 12:33 AM
Ok I have lately been hiding.I have been busy with home stuff and the cav is just waiting.I have yet to decide on my signature as for some reason while the pic is on cardomain it won't show(I do not car at this point) and plan on a different one and have not decided on my design just yet.SO the X is my sig for now till this week when I get my stuff together!

Monday, May 05, 2014 9:58 AM
I finally got out to the garage and was able to get in to charge the battery and start the old girl. My son parked his Camaro in front of my garage in such a way that I could not get into the side of the garage where the Cavalier is stored. Last week, I got out with a neighbor and we charged the battery on the son's car, pumped up the tires and got it out of my back yard. That needed to REALLY happen, as the City I live in has blight inspectors that go throughout the neighborhoods and issue $1000.00 blight tickets to home owners that have unlicensed non running cars in their back yards.

So, after that problem got handled, I got the cover off of mine, and charged up the battery. I hope to clean it up this week and hopefully hit some of the cruise in's by Thursday as it's supposed to be very nice.

To close, I'm sure I'm in the same boat as many of you with the sever winter we experienced in Michigan this past year. Now we're suffering a cold, wet Spring, and I keep asking "When are we gonna get a break and some good weather"? I hope to see some of you Michigan guys around this summer.
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 2:48 PM
Been busy remodeling a rental property I have. Replaced two kitchens, painted two units from top to bottom and sprayed popcorn ceiling finish on three rooms. This has taken me a month to do with a lot of staying there until 11 and 12 midnight after work to get it ready for the new tenants. Just finished it today!
DONE and now can get the Cavaliers out of winter storage maybe next week or the week after.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:52 PM
I took today off as a vacation day for ME! I slept in late to get my sleep caught up and then went to the ymca and worked out and hit the steam room,pool,jacuzzi and get my rear back in to good shape.I have yet to decide on my new signature idk but simple it will be.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:45 PM
Ok not really any updates for the car just yet.However TODAY is my and the wifes 20th anniversary! I do not have a clue how she has put up with me and or vice versus but I do love my tracy! Here's me and the better half the day I took delivery of the Toyota back in October.Been busy with the normal and working a touch on my old mazda truck and thurs work on the nephews 98 accord for a quick check and needed updates as he will gone for the summer for work.Done

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:06 AM
Congrats . Just celebrated my 10th anniversary with my better half a few weeks ago. I think I got lucky, she's not really into cars but she don't mind getting dirty when my fat fingers won't fit into tight crevices, for instance changing headlight bulbs.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:58 AM
Congrats to you both!

Tammy and I will be together 14 years in about 6 weeks. She don't have anything to do with vehicles except drive them....Hahaa!! Being a Scorpio she keeps me on my toes - but she very rarely pops her head in the Garage.....LoL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search