What things are you busy with that side track your car work - Page 11 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:55 PM
Terry Lewis wrote:
The RS Vert is setting quietly in the garage with the top down
I've read it is not a good idea to leave a top down for extended periods of time. It causes creases to get in them.

Merry Christmas

Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:56 PM
Hey guys just updating things for me lately.I the last two days have been addressing my younger (19 yr old nephews) 2006 Honda accord check over of his car since jan of 2016.The car has 151,760 miles and the original miles were 139k.I found some issues since august when I did a coolant flush,new thermostat,new hoses,coil packs and plugs and front brakes and rotorsProblems that are current are .Alignment is wayyyy off go figure as I think he hits every road hole just my humor.The tires looked fairly new on the buy back in dec of 15.However one tire had only 4/32 tread and feathered on both outside treads but the other 3 8/32 and semi ok.I got two new tires today,and already steam cleaned the interior and just a full on clean up.I did remove all 4 tires and clean both sides of the alloy wheels and did rotate the tires.I can bore you with all the specifics but in short the car has been gone thru.In short I did wash/wax the car and polish the headlights,and new wiper blades as the others are over a yr old.I did wax the windshield and back glass and rain the side windows and last the bigger fix.The power steering pump seals are leaking and I am going to have to just replace that over a rebuild to save time.Cost of said pump with the core cost added $272.00.Granted I already replaced the starter and upgraded the ground wires from the battery from the fender and then a extra ground to the block back in jan and the battery.Over all the car has been problem free!!!! I am just keeping tabs on this car to keep it cost effective and no issue's.R

Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:49 AM
Oh, its getting a new top next year, so i'm not worried... Thanks for the info! The new top will stay up when stored.

Happy New Year!!!

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:32 AM
You're welcome.
I just found out about never leaving a top down not long ago. I also found out do not leave a new one in the box for very long either. Put it on soon after purchase. I screwed up and left my new top rolled up for quite some time before installing it. I did take fabric bolt cobs and rolled it up, but I stood it up and the weight of it crumpled the sail panel on the end. It sat that way for over a year. It has a number of small creases in that sail panel. I understand I may be able to get them out with a heat gun though. I haven't tried heat yet, but they have already diminished some since I installed it. Hopefully they will come out entirely, but I may need to take it loose and pull it tighter now too.

Happy New Year !
Saturday, April 27, 2019 8:07 AM
Reviving a old post.I have literally done nothing to sunny.Good side its always garaged and covered.Just between job changes and other required duties at home,and $$ sunny is fine.I have been busy with a lot of outdoor work since mowing here started last week for the first time.This week went to mow and broke a drag link on the ride mower so,no steering equals no mowing.Parts are ordered and this mower is a 2012 and to have this break kind of well sucks.But on a fun side I will make a video to put up on my youtube page to share with all.On this mower the steering gear has to be dropped out just to unbolt the damn drag links.Unlike my old MTD real easy just unbolt it from the gear and front axle and reinstall.Idk why Husqvarna did this style but,whatever.Ironically I am going to mow today(sat) with our back up John deere..Thought I would chime in since I really do not get online much as I prefer to be outdoors or cleaning in the house just being productive.

Monday, April 29, 2019 7:10 AM
Well there you are!! Nice to see you on here

Good news you can fix your rider as the price to buy a new one can cause one to have a stroke! Well I guess if you were to be in the market for a brand new Pickup Truck....well then a rider might seem like a bargain compared! Stuff now is so $$$$$$expensive nowadays. That goes a long way to explain why I still own and drive my old vehicles.

My old weed eater simply wouldn't start this past weekend and I just had that feeling this was it. I tore into it and gave it a good attempt, but not even a lick. So I resorted to simplicity. Picked up a simple corded base unit at WalMart for $25. I mean...$25 probably wouldn't have barely covered repairs of the old gas job. Actually found I liked it better than the gas model - I have a very small area to maintain so this work well...I'd say nearly 1/2 the area I used to work on has been negated by laying down all those tarps to park my vehicles on. I decided to continue going this route as the rest of the gas tools go south. Eventually I won't need to have mixed gas to sit around and go bad either. I can even take an electric unit inside and clean it up after use, something that I'd dare not think about with a nasty greasy old mixed gas job. I'd say nearly 1/2 the area I used to work on has been negated by laying down all those tarps to park my vehicles on.

If you got a lot of ground to cover like Ron though , there really isn't much to choose from. I guess the sellers know that and can sit back a wait till you are desperate enough to pay what they demand. Maybe one day they will have batteries strong enough to be reliable for yard work, till then...... gas is king!

Tuesday, May 07, 2019 2:15 PM
Orlen Brown wrote: Stuff now is so $$$$$$expensive nowadays.

Boy you got that right Orlen. Our average weekly grocery bill used to be $30-35 now its $50 and that is with using coupons. Don't get me started on auto parts prices, what really ticks me off is the garbage parts from China they pass off as good parts only to last a week, month etc before needing replaced again.

Just glad its gardening season again, gonna be planting some sweetcorn, Purple Cherokee and Beefsteak tomato's and cucumbers.

Nice to hear from you Ron Be happy it's something simple and cheap to fix. I have a buddy that has an old mower that needs an engine rebuild but he doesn't want to pay to have it rebuilt so he coats the neighborhood in blue smoke every time he mows .

Wheel Bearings from China
Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:50 PM
I learned that, "Chinese parts only last a short time" bit with front wheel bearings on my 2001 Z24.
Fortunately, I purchased them from 1Aauto and they credited my purchase toward Timken bearings.
The Timken's cost more, but are made in the USA, and worked perfectly until, well read the story on Jacked, Wrecked Sold thread.
Little Old Lady....

Steve
Re: Wheel Bearings from China
Friday, August 23, 2019 9:43 PM
Thought I would drop in the quite zone and say hello to you guys.I know the site is pretty dead and we all have done a lot on our cars thru time.In short just busy taking care of duties around the house and yard and going to work.I do not get online too much unless I am checking emails or looking for something on ebay etc.I have added 3 new videos on my youtube page may be boring stuff to a lot,but its about fixing some steering components specific like on my Husqvarna.I not quite up to 880k views but do have over 1k in subscribers.My biggest viewed video is about replacing the drive belt on my said tractor it just surprised the crap out of me how many people have viewed it.197k to be exact.Oh well keep in touch guys .

Monday, August 26, 2019 9:04 AM
Nice to see something of you on here Ron

Miss the daily exchanges that were the norm years ago, but.....(Sighs) the only constant in this world is change.

Been doing my part to fight change. Still got the little fleet and trying to keep everything going. I did manage to finally get some miles rolling on the '84 Sunbird this year. I have done an awful lot of work to get here and it is kinda surreal to be driving it so much. On my 1st real road trip I blew the oil pressure sensor/switch and had to do a big ole tear down to gain access to it since the OHC 1.8 has its oil pump on front of the engine. With some wonderful encouragement and info from Paul I decided to ditch the switch and go with an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. No wonder I started leaking around that old sensor - on the highway the pressure runs 60PSI and sometimes will spike up to 80PSI before the regulator kicks in. Still I'm not complaining - I'd rather have a lot of oil pressure than a little. I will never manage to put a terrible lot of miles on this car, but it has been a memorable journey with it and a fun little putter that is great on gas and easy to work on. I actually put quite a few gauges ( and even an aftermarket radio too ) in this car because........well to be honest ......because I can. There is less and less vehicles out there you can even consider putting aftermarket stuff on nowadays. So I decided I would enjoy doing this while I got something to do it on. Yeah....it sure did bring back memories of being a lot younger doing these things too. As far as I am concerned today's cars just plain suck.

One thing I decided to do during the hot summer months has been to remove the T-Stats out of the 2 - 1st gens that I have. Some might frown on this. My thinking goes that since these cars are so old and heat is not a friend to machines nor people. I have automatics and neither of the lock-up clutches work, so keeping the engines cool also help keep those transaxles cool too. Heck, even with the T-Stats pulled I can get up to 180 degrees driving around on the hot hot days. So if nothing else I know I am getting full coolant flow around the system with no T-Stat in the ways. As with my comments above - you just can't do this in the new cars today. I think it just might cause their computer modules to have a stroke.

I haven't see hide nor hair of any 1st Gens anywhere in our nearby yards and a long time - better grab what you can if you run into one!

I hope everyone out there has had a great Summer and been able to enjoy some 1st Gen J - time!

Well enough for my crazy out of place comments for now.....

Monday, August 26, 2019 10:26 AM
How did you hook up the coolant temp guage in the 1.8 OHC Orlen? Doesn't the factory one has to stay in the block for the computer and fuel injection?

Been fighting with the cluster over the weekend, got the oil light to work now but in the process lost the coolant temp gauge. Half the lights don't work on it anyways.

All the copper fingers/ plastic circuit board on the back the cluster are shot, either I get a new cluster, or add a guage.

Haven't ran a thermostat in my Bird in 7 years either, no use blowing a gasket or warping the head in a OHC.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, August 26, 2019 6:17 PM
I removed the sensor underneath the distributor. The other 2 are located on the filler neck at the front of the engine. That one underneath the distributor is just for the fan relay and I have rigged up a switch on the dash for that as well. There may very well be differences between the 1.8 and 2.0.

The coolant was a piece of cake compared to that oil pressure gauge! At least I used copper tubing instead of that cheap plastic crap for the oil pressure!

Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:44 PM
Just stopping to say HELLO to everyone. The old 84 Cavalier never even made it out of storage this year. Been too busy keeping the Mustangs going. Picked up a frame rusted 95 GT 5speed for the rear end as my 96 is making noise and causing a vibration.

Wednesday, September 04, 2019 11:13 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:

The coolant was a piece of cake compared to that oil pressure gauge! At least I used copper tubing instead of that cheap plastic crap for the oil pressure!

No other coolant port on my 2.0 OHC, cluster really took a dump last weekend, got a used cluster coming from Wisconsin... running blind right now, no guages or idiot lights, just my cooling fan led and a voltmeter.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, September 22, 2019 4:16 PM
How-To Vids are big on Youtube Ron so not surprising to see that yours have a lot of views. Just be sure to monetize them Ron that way youtube shares it's profits on your videos. Just don't have any music playing in the background otherwise you will just get inundated in copyright claims.

It's just been one of those years for me and the wife, had to go to court to deal with a jack*** neighbor and his drunk drug addicted buddy. Car repairs to date this year have been about $1,400 so our savings has been about drained so we couldn't afford to move out to a nicer place so we wouldn't have to deal with said jack*** neighbor and his buddy. Hopefully 2020 is better. Hope the rest of y'all are doing good.

Monday, September 23, 2019 12:12 PM
Come down here, the whole barrio is full of bad neighbors.

Everyone is scared of us since we have been to court about 20 times in 7 years and haven't lost yet.

Just cost us paper and ink, wife used to work for 2 big lawyers in Syracuse.

People here are not educated in the laws.

Doug in P.R.

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:44 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Come down here, the whole barrio is full of bad neighbors.

Everyone is scared of us since we have been to court about 20 times in 7 years and haven't lost yet.

Just cost us paper and ink, wife used to work for 2 big lawyers in Syracuse.

People here are not educated in the laws.

Doug in P.R.

I grew up in a mexican/hispanic or whatever the PC term is these days neighborhood. Was good till the gang war started with the blacks from a few blocks over.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:13 PM
Just wondering how everybody is doing...

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:05 PM
All quite here in Massachusetts, can't go anywhere. A lot of people are going to be unemployed for the long term .
I am self employed and can last 60 days but that will hurt.
Was looking for a new to me late model Explorer until the world stopped. Now just going to keep the wife's car until this shakes out.

Hope everyone stays healthy.

Wednesday, April 01, 2020 11:06 AM
So far so good here. Been a recluse for the most part. This came in the middle of a move, so I'll be traveling from here to NC this weekend. I'm only going to make one fuel stop though and even that will be in a small town well off the interstate. Nature calls will be on the side of the road.

Yeah closures are going to become a serious problem. I too can thankfully get by for while. But I know a lot of people are going to be hurting, if this last more than a few weeks.

Everyone take care and be safe.
Wednesday, April 01, 2020 12:51 PM
Good to know I'm "essential" I guess.

I start working from home tomorrow.

I feel for all those out of work, been there, done that, couldn't afford the t-shirt. I am losing income from my side-hussle, but can live without it.

My silver lining in all this for me is that Jeopardy is not doing auditions, meaning there aren't new people going into the contestant pool at this time. When they begin production, they probably won't have auditions for a while, so this really ups my chances to get on the show next season...whenever that is.

Sunday, April 05, 2020 2:53 PM
The little Warehouse I work at is still open for now - since I am the Janitor my job has taken on a life of its own. I try to do my best to sanitize and make things look as good as they can, trying to protect my co-workers and families as well as my own. In all reality I can't do but so much though. I can clean my butt off and 5 minutes later an infected employee could possibility spread virus all over the place. Still I try my best to make the folks I have been working with for 20 years feel safe there. So far no one at work or at home has come down sick

Things changed on a dime. 8 weeks ago - having the new decade itch, I jumped and got an 03 Mazda B4000 and sold my 86 Cavalier Wagon. Oh how am I regretting my move now that the world has turned upside down. I went 9 years without a car payment........what a lousy, lousy sense of timing have I. Still have the '84 Pontiac but wondering what the future may have for it after we get through this mess. Being 57 years old I can't help but fret - even if I manage to get by 12 months without catching this damn thing , I could pick it up a year later after everything "goes back to normal" and die just as easily and next week. Going for joyrides and trips to the Salvage Yard stir up thoughts of anxiety instead of excitement! I'm worried about when the time comes the country has roughly 1/2 of the population recovered from this thing. There will be immense pressure to open everything wide open again even at the expense of half the population which has done everything possible not to get infected - still at risk.

As a little PSA - I recently came across information that the banks are up to no good. People suffering financially will be temped to defer a few mortgage payments via the goodwill of the lenders. Truth is a lot more sinister - come July those Goodwillers are going to demand all those deferred payments due along with the current installment at that time. In short plans are afoot to scoop up as many easy foreclosures as possible. There are those with deep pockets that won't be affected at all financially during this crisis, for those kinds of folks this whole country will be nothing but a huge Black Friday sales event of their lifetime. Everything will be dirt cheap and bargains everywhere. Please try to manage your property and estate as well as you can , and don't let them take the shirts off your back during this dark time.

Sunday, April 05, 2020 6:49 PM
[quote=Orlen Brown
As a little PSA - I recently came across information that the banks are up to no good. People suffering financially will be temped to defer a few mortgage payments via the goodwill of the lenders. Truth is a lot more sinister - come July those Goodwillers are going to demand all those deferred payments due along with the current installment at that time. In short plans are afoot to scoop up as many easy foreclosures as possible. There are those with deep pockets that won't be affected at all financially during this crisis, for those kinds of folks this whole country will be nothing but a huge Black Friday sales event of their lifetime. Everything will be dirt cheap and bargains everywhere. Please try to manage your property and estate as well as you can , and don't let them take the shirts off your back during this dark time.

Should really check that "source" of "information"

The deferred payments are just that, deferred. This means if you were about to make your 30th payment in April, it is deferred to let's say September. That's 5 months with no payments made with no penalty. Basically, the bank is simply suspending your loan during this time, and it will start again later as if nothing happened.

Just like the 2008 mortgage crisis, banks don't want to be in the real estate business, they want to be in the banking business. This is the reason for the deferred payments, the banks don't want to start a large scale foreclosure process again, as they would lose too much money doing that, and property values would drop again, and the banks would be left stuck with properties they can't get rid of.
Sunday, April 05, 2020 7:05 PM
My "source" was a local fellow working at a bank.

Take you chances at your own risk. I am just trying to be helpful. I'm sorry if you don't appreciate that.

Spread your Sunshine & Rainbows as you please. Defer as many debts as you dare or care. It is your business.

Monday, April 06, 2020 1:07 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:My "source" was a local fellow working at a bank.

Take you chances at your own risk. I am just trying to be helpful. I'm sorry if you don't appreciate that.

Spread your Sunshine & Rainbows as you please. Defer as many debts as you dare or care. It is your business.

In case you haven't noticed in what I have dedicated a large part of my life to, it is facts that are verifiable.

I know a lot of people at a lot of places who have no idea what's going on at their own workplace. Some guy who works at a bank is likely not privy to any 'secret' information, and that isn't any verification.

I don't spread sunshine and rainbows, I spread reality.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search