What things are you busy with that side track your car work - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:24 PM
A Pillars, Cowl,Hood,Lower Valance,Inner Fender , Bumper, Headlight Buckets, Hood Latch - All Completed!!!! The Journey Continues......

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:23 PM
Looking like fresh restoration progress is making waves.It does look pretty good there orlen.I today took a different route on duties to do.I started off by moving out all the easy stuff and clearing my garage floor for a blow out,then mop with Lysol and then pressure wash the floor for well a clean sanitary garage to control smell,bugs and keep rodents away! That is done and then did my weedeating took about a hour and done.Mowing will be thurs and easy as it was super HOT today.I then pressure washed the mil deck and will be spraying it down with thompsons water seal later after mowing so no debris flying around.I also re cleaned both outdoor buildings and hoping to get the fresh paint done maybe next week!!!!!! I had to postphone my mazda inspection due to a wiper issue.That is now fixed as the short a mouse made a nest at the wiper motor and it popped off the joint on the motor and no wipeeee action just motor running.I did the resto work last wk and will wrap that up tomorrow on some light fresh up's to make some items look new again.I am determined to get that list wiped out to focus on more important things and not have a list that just want quit.I did a vid of the mazda wiper issue and may post that thurs just showing what I did.I did make a dent in the to do list in degrees today.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:41 PM
http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1987oldschoolmaz/media/6-14-2014/M4H01250_zps45e9c239.mp4.html The 87 mazda truck with the wiper motor issue fixed and a light restoration and will finish the two items to be painted thurs.Once done a simple check and if good Friday I will go for the safety inspection.Enjoy

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:36 PM
Looks like a nice clean truck!

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:10 PM
Thanks john.I got half way thru ride mowing today before a super heavy downfall of rain.So no deck treatment,truck not finished,and lastly yard to finish Friday.It happens but I will get things squared up at least the yard and maybe the truck to be ready next week at this point.I am kind of tired as did not sleep to great last nite and the heat today did not help.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:42 PM
Minor update deck is treated and marked off my list.I will wrap up the mazda work thurs as last week the rain postphoned that.I am whacking out what I can each day off when I can.The heat and humidity just wear me out after yardwork and I did make a rolling floor dolly for my spare trans so it is well easier to move and keep OFF the floor! So actually 2 items done and the 3rd is closing.Did I say I like air condition.The trans cart is low to the floor with nice caster wheels made of rubber and the trans sits level with some wood I fastened to the plywood I used to make it neato I think.I may snap a pic later to show the low budget idea and the wood is not cut straight but it really did not matter.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:07 PM
Some progress photos of the Range to show. Fenders and grill now bolted back on. Was really concerned about that passenger side fender since that side and taken a couple of good wallops. The inner panel was crinkled up pretty rough so that the front turn signal light just managed to fit in the inner panel. Everything lined up nicely with the replacement fender and I was pleased with the extra work I've put in. Once the grill was back on it proper color interior looks very nice with the new outside.

I worked hard to preserve thos factory stickers in the engine bay!

....and THIS was what I was after!!

Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:13 PM
Looks good to me.Aside from the front bumper mush point.Heck I bet you buy a new bumper on ebay or another truck oriented site for rangers dirt cheap brand new.It does look much better seriously!!!

Monday, June 30, 2014 11:45 AM
Looks good there Orlen, makes me think of my olde 89 Ranger. Did some semi-serious 4 wheeling with it. Went a lot of places that I would never think of going with my F150.

Monday, June 30, 2014 1:00 PM
Hmmm,
I'll add a few:
Me and my family:
My deck project part-way done:
Before:

After:

And what my bug will look like when finished:

Life is and will continue to be good !!

~ Mike ~

Monday, June 30, 2014 7:04 PM
Nice Deck Mike!!

Oh my, how those Beetles are so timeless! Wonderful project 2014's!!

Monday, June 30, 2014 10:29 PM
That deck looks cherry there! I btw did finally coat the mil's deck a week ago with the water seal!!! That bug pic is super tight.Liking and my list is slowly getting done a touch at a time.Oh forgot the mazda is ready and wipers are fixed and ready for the inspection that I hope goes good this thurs.

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:54 PM
http://vid1088.photobucket.com/albums/i338/1987oldschoolmaz/7-11-2014/M4H01258_zps122a8443.mp4 OK guys I have conquered several things this week!!!!! 1st is my house has been pressure washed and used bleach and ivory soap to luster up the vinyl.Next I cleaned the windows inside and out and I use rain x the aresol on the outside glass so it beads stuff off to make them stay water spot free and inside invisible glass.Now I have finally got the 87 mazda inspected and washed it today and made a short vid of how to make your glass bead water.The tips are if your glass does bead water using rain x on the windows is a good start then putting the ivory dish washing soap on the glass each time you wash your ride.The more you use it over time the ivory will make your glass bead water like loco.Another good tip is using a good wax on your windshield like meguairs cleaner wax or my fav meguiars high tech yellow wax #26 this the professional grade sold in a tan bottle for like 15.00 at auto zone,advance,oreillys,napa.If your glass has water spots that are ectched into it you may have to use a true compound or something like meguairs #2 fine cut cleaner(same tan bottle) or the heavy duty #4 meguairs heavy cut cleaner both are about 15.00 in the professional grade sold same places.So I am making ground on my list and may burn another personal day next week to wack out more duties.Tired yeah but just glad to be getting my list shorter each week.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:18 AM
I'm not dead, so here's a post haha
Being away from home working on base is a huge bummer when it comes to me NEEDING to work on my cars,
so every weekend I get off I'm usually slaving away in the garage.
However, I put the cavalier hatch into storage so dad could bring his '55 home, but I also picked up a new toy for weekends.
1971 Datsun 510!
Hoping to get it road legal here soon. Just did brakes,clutch master cyl, wheels/tires, some wiring, fuel lines, carb rebuild, polished a valve cover, new rubber lines under the hood, interior cleaning, small odds + ends like knobs and stuff, etc etc.
Still have to get the gas tank back from being thoroughly cleaned/sealed/finished so it can actually get some fuel to it, and replace some rotten wires, and get the correct starter for it. but should be here running and drivable soon!

The 510's current state:

L20B 4cyl with a dogleg 5-speed out of a newer datsun.
Should be a fun little cruiser until it gets torn apart this winter.

So basically, it's the 510, the military, and the fact not too many people want to sign off on my hatchback to be an antique is what's side tracking the work on the cavalier haha.
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:46 PM
Cody I LIKE Your style!! Sexy V-8 Hot Rods..... Fun and Fuzzy econocars - you got it all going on man!!!

Your Datsun reminds me of a Morris Mini at first glance!!

Well my project 2014 is still moving along seemingly sometimes at a snails pace - but not DOA. Every square inch of this thing is getting a lovingly 4 coats of hand rolled paint so I am getting to know every knick and cranny of this Ranger inch by inch. Cut the rivets out and removed the door handle to find a bunch of rust on the backside of the handle, Ebay sells both sides together for $18 w/free ship while auto zone wants $20 apiece .....Please tell me how on earth these car parts stores are going to compete /stay open like this? Oh....and the fuel filler compartment and door have been personal PIA....Hahaa. Ya know, it just wouldn't be any fun without a little PIA , now would it!!

My personal assisant...... (he really saved my arse when I inadvertly shut the darn door after removing the outside handle and the truck is inches away from the wall on the passenger side!!)

Yours truly.....minus about 30 pounds (my "other" project 2014)

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:18 PM
Well since I got another cavalier a month ago my original project has been put on hold.. It looks so sad.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:26 PM
Hey Orlen your only 500 miles from me. I need you to paint my 84 yellow

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:21 PM
Seems everyone has there busy points.I will say I have knocked out a lot of my to do's and just get the small done each week as I can.My plan is to get both outdoor buildings painted then wait till later to conquer my mils house for pressure washing and paint her shudders again.Once I get my two nephews car ready for school and general checks and service I hope to focus on sunny and get my rear end work started so nothing gets in the way to finish it and save money towards the front end work.Super tired today and nice pics fo the work done and that Datsun is pretty cool too.Orlen are you sure you were not in the maaco paint shop sometime in your past work history?

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:18 PM
What sidetracks me? Studying, studying and more studying...

They can call anytime from September to November of this year.
Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:32 AM
I love seeing the projects and pictures. You guys are a busy bunch. I have been dialing back posting pics on here but you are welcome to friend me on facebook and I have all of my albums there...

Here are my project updates:

House Painting - I am painting our whole upstairs.. I finished the second upstairs bathroom, moving onto my younger daughter's room this weekend.

Wasp Nest - Giant Wasp nest has returned to back yard - need to get that thing outta there. Nice conversation piece for now...

84 Sunbird - Replaced rear brake line and wheel cylinder on driver rear a couple of weeks ago. DS CV axle was stalled trying to source control arm and bushings. I was able to find MOOG bushings but nobody seems to want to press them in. I have had several shops tell me there are 30 years old and fine and to just reassemble it. I am starting to think that may be my course of action. The car needs to be ready for Woodward in August so it will be back together by then.

94 Camaro - my running project I have a PS hose and passenger front brake line waiting to install once the Sunbird is back up and running.

97 Voyager - I fixed the IP shorting issue by reflowing a solder joint. Up for sale - $1500 OBO

08 Uplander - Swapped out a wheel bearing to clear codes from information center. All clean. Traded it in on my Wife's new Traverse!

14 Traverse - new addition to the fleet as of Monday. Atlantis Blue Chevrolet Traverse 1LT.

There there is the whole summer vacation thing with 4 children and all of their activities.

Life is busy, but I am totally blessed!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:35 AM
Wayne Schiff wrote:What sidetracks me? Studying, studying and more studying...

They can call anytime from September to November of this year.

Funny they misspelled 'Being' Good Luck Wayne

Friday, August 01, 2014 9:36 PM
I guess we all have our busy spots and they are all over the place.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:11 AM
Updated deck pics !!!
Purchased a *barely used* Sunsetter awning recently, installed it and coated the deck top rails with Olympic "Rescue It" !

Turned out pretty SWEEEEET !!!

~ Mike ~

Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:48 PM
Just a small order of update on the ole Ranger.

She is still in the ugly duckling stage but you can begin to see the general direction it is headed in. Anytime you work with more than one color things get complicated. This time I am going light dark light so it has been a lot of labor involved. I really am looking forward to the finished appearance......when I ever get there Hahaa!!

Sometimes I can use a sheet and save a lot of newspaper and time....

Just finished the upper color today, been on this since late April!!!! When I bought the camper shell it was green and this is the 1st time everything matches up on the upper section of the truck, glad it's completed!!

The passenger front fender is the only part on the truck sporting the light-dark-light combination so far. You can just see it in the lower right on this photo. I have decided to trim the color breaks in a white with a tint of blue in it. This will be a solid stripe end to end about a 1/4"

Attachments
0825131140.jpg (1242k)
0827131924a.jpg (323k)

Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:50 PM
Seems you have a lot of time involved with that painting adventure.I have idk about 8 pics to show of my 8 hours busting my arse on my nephews 98 accord (the car he takes absolutely crappy care of).I want go into my rant now but save that for my pic posting maybe Monday when I am not just worn out the last two days driving have kicketh my rear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search