What things are you busy with that side track your car work - Page 7 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Saturday, November 08, 2014 9:32 PM
Orlen I had my nephews 98 accord do the same thing on his rears too.The grease breaks down the pads surface and the heat just turns up the pace of the effect.The one lesson I learned on caliper pins is just a light coating of caliper grease as too much causes pressure on the pin and blows the rubber dust/grease seal up like a ballon and pinches it!The idea is light grease and slide in and it should not protrude out too far and be a pain to install the caliper to hold it in,just slide together with mild pressure.The good thing is my wifes car has new brakes all around as I replaced her fronts a month or two back so at least these should go for a good while as she is not hard on the braking and generally has gotten good wear out of hers in the past years.

Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:32 PM
I find that ceramics will last a little longer and leave a lot less brake dust. If you replace your rotors and properly clean the rotors before install the pads last a LOT longer. Also go for the lifetime warranty if you plan on keeping your car for the long haul as they can be swapped for no charge. My last Saturn I had lasted 437,000 miles and I only paid for one set of pads at Autozone.

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:07 AM
84conv wrote:I find that ceramics will last a little longer and leave a lot less brake dust. If you replace your rotors and properly clean the rotors before install the pads last a LOT longer. Also go for the lifetime warranty if you plan on keeping your car for the long haul as they can be swapped for no charge. My last Saturn I had lasted 437,000 miles and I only paid for one set of pads at Autozone.

One thing I find that works is being real nice with the guy/gal behind the counter to get the pads for free. If you catch somebody behind the counter having a bad day you probably will get hassled about the lifetime warranty does not cover wear etc... I recently had to deal with that @ Oreilly's so i just left and came back the next morning when someone else was manning the counter to get the replacement brake pads hassle free.

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:05 PM
Spike,
Luckily I have never had a problem at Autozone returning anything under warranty. Although I am waiting for the day that they won't cover me because unlike most people I keep my cars going over 300K and almost always go for the lifetime warranties and usually use them. Good example was the clutch kit from the 437k Saturn, returned with no questions asked and saved me about $200. I always keep my receipt and copy it to real paper. Plus I keep a service log in my cars with the date of repair, cost and warranty info.

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:31 PM
I fully understand and appreciate the lifetime warranty myself.

I failed to mention in the case of the 94 Skylark the daughter is 33 years old and I expect some adult maturity from her at this point ( especially since she has a 7 yr old in tow). Since she fails to keep her receipts the lifetime replacement doesn't do her any good.

Also in my particular situation it might be questionable if said store will stay in business before I actually require a replacement - since it has taken me 12 years to put 40k on the wagon. At this rate it will take 90 years to put 300k on the silly thing .....Hahaa

Another problem is replacement parts for the warranty - I have already been advised by NAPA the warranty on my $100 Lifetime muffler is void since they no longer have that in stock - so what is the point.....

I might be wrong - but it seems to me regarding pads if you get tough long lasting pads they will simply wear out the rotors instead - one or the other is going to be softer. $20 pads beat $40 ground down warped rotors. Most other high wear items like starters, alternators & water pumps are a must for lifetime replacement if you are in it for the long haul.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:29 AM
Had to deal with that too Orlen. The brake rotors we got when we first had the brakes done on the Saturn had a lifetime warranty too but unfortunately Orielly's doesn't carry that brand anymore so we had to pay for new ones this time around and no surprise no new rotors they sell come with a lifetime warranty anymore. We keep receipts just lose them when the wife goes into cleaning mode .

437,000 miles on a Saturn, wow. My dad just passed 275,000 on his 99 sl1 Not sure it will make 300,000 though since he has some country bumpkin fixing it now.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:30 PM
Ok I have been doodling with some side work.I have a friend with one of those ugly Pontiac aztek's and his headlights and marker lights are well crap.His yr model is a 02 but a wk ago found some 03 headlights in the junkyard locally and could not pass these up.They had potential to polish out and be much better and waste less of my time trying to revive his originals back to better.I am not saying that his would not polish out but there say hazed yellow,you would have to keep the sealer product applied every week to keep them from going back to well @#%t.So in my spare time I have revived 1 headlight and show pics of the results and the other of the one not done yet.As mowing season is almost done have to mow thurs and probably one more time next week and done for a couple of months.I have one 1985 cav waiting for new parts and as soon as I get done with the yard cutting next week sunny is going to the front of the line!!This has been a busy year for me with a ton of small projects and other cars I care for and issues with my wifes car and everything is up to date and on track.WAYNE I will be working on cleaning up that cluster and fix the trip meter before I send it to YOU!!!!!! I know no hurry as it soley is a spare but,I am playing catch up on the back burner projects.For all the things I did between spring to fall I completed would require another post and that can wait.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:34 PM
I have had good results using Mothers Carnuba Wax on the 3M polising wheel that comes with the headlight restore it. The wax really does a wonderful job polishing up the clear plastic lense and offers a lot of protection afterwards too boot!

Ok these aren't the same lights but the second set came fro the salvage yard and polished up like new!

Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:24 PM
I've been meaning to get out to the other garage where the cavalier is stored so I can grab the driveshaft out of it to go get re-balanced but this has been keeping me busy...

SR20det + 5 speed bolted in for a mock up, and completed the RHD conversion.
Currently working on it's beautiful body, getting it closer to paint. Metalflake for the win haha

Soon I'll be working on the j-body again, but the datsun's just too distracting haha
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:08 PM
Seems things are slightly quiet on HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That I understand.However in light of the thanksgiving holiday for those of us in the states enjoy it in what ever your doing.I know you Canada peeps already had your thanksgiving a couple weeks back!!!!! Today NO outdoor work as it just rained and cool and had to do indoor stuff.I have to mow at least 1 more time to kind of finish up the final round of mowing for the year.Leaves are gone,but it is my method of upkeep.So I guess I might eventually jump on sunny in dec but,I think I will do my yearly inspection due in jan in December IF the weather is dry on a day off.We are alloyed to do inspections 90days prior to the actual date here.Personally on a side note I wish my state would just change the rules for any inspection on a vehicle over 35 yrs old are not required for any inspection period to say 25 yrs old.I say this bc really most people today do not drive a car older than 20 yrs old in general for a daily in large numbers here!Done and enjoy your day off (which thurs) is my normal off anyway.I think thurs the yard will be toooo wet to mow and focus on some side items like uh a instrument cluster for wayne and some misc items.And just to think Monday here it was 70 degrees and sunny.Now cold,wet and mid 40's.Crazy

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:13 PM
Hey guys seems things are kind of in the off season I guess.I have finally quite mowing last week and that has free'd up some extra time for me finally!! So I took a vac day tues to have 4 days off to conquer pressure washing my house tues.Well that went down the toilet as it rained like most of Monday night and too wet so alternate plans.As I am taking care of the indoors stuff I see my mother in law drive up with my younger nephews 2002 civic?Ummm I am like what could this be.We in short the driver window is stuck halfway(omg).It was just at Honda back in may for a new regulator and I am thinking oh no the motor has bit the dust.In short the motor worked but the channel guides were kind of dry so I sprayed some crc silicone in the tracks and made that happy so 1 item fixed.2nd had a yet another lower radiator hose leak that connects to the thermostat that had a clamp fail back in aug.I used yet another cheap AZZ clamp thinking this would fix it since the old one broke on one turn the last time.I did replace the hose which I thought had a crack even tho only a yr old.Wrong.I had used my permatex high temp gasket sealant on the inside of the hose which is double security for leaks.SO in short I went heavy duty and spent 15.00 on two constant torque clamps far superior to any auto store clamps and reinstalled and now wait and see.I will say the constant torque clamps sold at napa or like truck pro for big trucks sell these and they are expensive but it will last forever!! I took care of some other piddle things and managed to wash and wax my Tacoma and the wifes accord today.I am going to try to start working on my cavalier next week IF nothing gets in my way.I may wait to tackle the rear end resto after jan since my safety is due then and do not want things all apart with any glitches if that happens.I have kind of backed off any side things for a touch as this past spring and summer I seriously worked my rear end off.

Monday, December 15, 2014 5:49 AM
It's been bitter cold around here, but there really isn't much for me to do that I would be able to do anyway.

Right now, this year's body work is on hold until I can get a power antenna. I have a set of nice fenders to put on the car, but my current fenders have the fixed mast antenna. The power antennae I've found are over $100, so I will just look to the boneyards in the spring.

I just wonder, if there's an extra power wire I'll need to grab in addition to the wire that plugs into the back of the radio?
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:45 PM
I have been really really busy with the new job. The two red beauties are sleeping in the garage...

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IHaoTyq3-uA I got my nephews 98 accord yet again for a check up.Quick story back in aug his pass side carpet was soaked with water????? So I remove the cowl and wipers and clean and restore the entire deal with fresh paint and clear out the drains and the SUNROOF.So I did a full detail and steam cleaned the carpet and thinking I whipped the problem.Wrong!!!!!!! On my check today carpet is stupid wet.Bound and determined to FIX or find the problem I DID just that.In short the drain tube from the sunroof to the drain tubes L shaped connection behind the dash had come out? Yep I have no idea why but this video I posted on youtube walks thru the deal and it is fixed.I got kicked with some cuts and dirty but that is what being a mechanical guy does.I am drying out the carpet literally right Now with my heat gun so,I can wrap up the said issue and clean this ride up.I could write a book on the other things but,that can wait till thurs already.

Thursday, January 01, 2015 5:50 AM
Top job -and GREAT on the video!!

Once again I am surprised to see that Hondas and Toyotas ( I have a co-worker that has has had water leaking in the rear section of his Wife's Toyota too...)are not the polished perfect driving appliances they are claimed to be. They can be every bit a PAI as any other set of wheels on the road.

Ron you are quikcly learning the ins and outs of Hondas as much as the venerable J-Bodies. I think it is great you take the time to share your discoveries on the internet for others to learn from!

Thursday, January 01, 2015 9:12 AM
Nice Video Ron.

Thanks for sharing.

Thursday, January 01, 2015 9:52 PM
Thanks guys I just figured as soon as I determined the issue I was not going to make others suffer the same problem with no info.I figured why not share this and save some one else the headaches and time and locate and fix the problem as I did.I do know this Honda well and for the last five years have spent many hours fixing,cleaning you name it on this car.The bigger issue is the auto trans is starting to slip in second gear and it is not a sensor related problem more like the 232,770 miles of unknown driving use is wearing it out.I have changed the fluid several times and yesterday did drain it and refilled with merc/dex and one bottle of Lucas trans fix (SOLEY) to buy some time.I am pushing to get the car to a trans shop and just get it rebuilt now before it fails.In short the cost of the repair is LESS than the cars value and since we KNOW the history and the tons of $$$$$$$$$$ dumped into it fixing is the best option.Buying a newer car would cost tons more and even these days if you buy anything even under ten years old is 7-10 grand IF decent,low miles and not at the start replacing the normal wear out stuff.I wrapped up my short to do list on the car late but,I have a short sheet of mild fixes slatted and not stupid expensive.In short it needs new door checkers(YES) this is the plastic arm that keeps the door open at certain points and not shut like with breathing on it.The ps pump needs a rebuild the seals are leaking and that's some simple stuff.

Friday, January 02, 2015 2:51 PM
I know lots of folks nowadays that are replacing the Trans instead of trading or buying. So much of a chance of buying something that is suffering from the same thing - or can in the near future. Buying a used auto is much more of a guessing game tha it used to be - the complexity of them has raised the stakes MUCH higher. Example - a coworker bought a beautiful '06 F150 - had it for about 18 months and the cam phaser went out. He spent about $1500 getting it repaired (parts were at cost courtesy of his buddy who works at NAPA) and 3 months later....oh yes the new phasers started going out again. He promptly dumped it on trade for a new Nissan Frontier. Now someone somewhere had to have bought that bad news F-150 and had to sink a lot of money into it since they were saddled with a big used truck payment. There are LOTS of trouble sitting out there on the used car lots just waiting to ruin someones day!!

Friday, January 02, 2015 9:13 PM
You are correct on buying some one else's sour problem.That is my key to steering away from trying to sell the 98 to buy yet another money bucket.I have pushed the idea today about getting the car to a trans shop this week!!! Now I just have to share a story about my nephew and some other misc things.He has attended western Carolina the last 3 yrs and decided to come back and go to the local community college to save the cost as he already has tuition debt.He chose to do this after the thanksgiving break and his last semester ended in dec there.Now the 2nd delima he plays in the band at WC and left the schools trumpet in his car covered.The BAD is next some one or people got on his hood and totally damaged the sh--- out of it??????? And unfortunately left one of his rear doors unlocked and they stole the instrument.He has to repay the school for the instrument before they send his transcripts to the local college (that has been taken care of) and his mom said they are waiting on the insurance to see if they will recoup for the damage and stolen stuff.Well wait there's MORE BS to add to this post.He has applied at several places to get a job and work while in school and has chosen to take a job as a delivery driver for a pizza place!!!!! Now I was like you have got to be f----kng kidding me with his car?His parents have talked to him and even his grandmother and he really just wants the job.Keep in mind his parents pay his insurance and a home to live in.Some info on my take the car is 17 years old,232,770 miles on it and well a failing transmission that is going to be a 1200 bucks give or take to fix.His grandfather on his dads side is going to speak with him to enlighten the young 21 yr old of the REAL LIFE problems that creates.I typed up a note last nite explaining the age of car,mileage and failing major part and to use this car in a job like that would just push it closer to the junkyard before it's time.He just does not realize the cost of parts,and maintenance and that car with said miles won't last forever with out some serious $$$$$$$$$$$.In short I said it would create a lot of hardship on his parents and grandmother who worries about the car being solid and to take my advice as this will affect things in the long term.The car has been almost rebuilt and is solid but he just seems addiment about taking the 1st job thrown his way.If the car fails how is getting to work and yet to use it for work????UMMMM I hope this pans out with the TALK he is suppose to get as he does respect his grandfather and he may convey the message of good judgement and wait and find a better job that lessens the wear on his ONLY car.I apologize if this seems long but in order for you guys to see the big picture I had to share the whole story and I know YOU all agree with my stance on the subject.I swear kids just do not understand common sense choices and then they wonder why things seemed all screwed up.

Saturday, January 03, 2015 7:22 PM
my God I could write a Novel very similar about a 32 and 33 year old here at my home. Trust me they don't get any wiser or careful with age.As long as they can find someone to pick up their banana peels they just go on eatin' and tossin'.

So who has the young lad figured out will be the "lucky" individual to lend him their car/truck to carry pizzas around in while his (ride)
is being patched and cleaned up periodically? Yep....those banana peels sure can ruin a persons day!

While way way out of the scope of this forum - Well I can attest that there surely is one old Virginia Gentleman here that will.....and has - let the less inclined walk and kept his venerable and loved 1st & 2nd gens parked and definitely out of any said party's "Plan B". And at the tender age of 32 and 33 should the rain begin to fall I do hope that they learn to keep the umbrella handy. I do think it is fair to say I haven't managed to keep an 86 Wagon on the road for 12 years and an 86 Pickup for 9 by lending them out any time the devil-may-care should suddenly be stranded due to nothing better than lazy negligence. If they can't take care of their own insurance, car payments, and maintenance they surely aren't gonna look out after anyone else’s.

And I'm not even sure if these kind of characters ever mature into the type of individuals that will.

Saturday, January 03, 2015 8:39 PM
My off topic episode.

Seventeen year old daughter got rear ended in her winter beater, the Corolla in early December. No one was injured and she was not at fault.

Just a pain in the butt dealing with insurance. Finally settled on $2,200 and we got to keep the car. No structural damage, just not worth fixing a 17 year old car.
I did fix it by pushing out the quarter with a 2x4 and a bottle jack. Add in the $40 tail light, Duplicolor paint with clear and it's fixed for $65.00.

It was a 2003 Toyota 4x4 pickup that hit it, so it rode up over the bumper. Just a scratch on the pickup.

Saturday, January 03, 2015 10:54 PM
That looks pretty decent john for wack the corolla took.I can totally feel the rear end fix as my nephews 98 got smacked too buy a jeep and they left the scene.In short found a color matching bumper cover and the internal support one a junkyard visit just by shear luck.Ever since this his trunk leaks a dab of water and I even replaced the trunk seal,both tail lights on the corners and doubled up the foam gaskets which did help but the leak is some where in the metal seem letting water in.I just gave up and drilled 2 holes in the trunk area above the spare so it drains out and leave a big towel to absorb the water.Orlen you are correct sir on the total inresponsibilitiy of our younger crowd.I will wait to here the outcome of my nephews situation before I make any decision on my end.If he chooses to not take the sound advice and wait and find a better suitable job I might just say I am done servicing his car on any level.I do not want to that but,I know his parents and my mother in law know the value in my work and time to keep that car in tip top shape until he is done with his education.Done for now and long day and winding down.

Monday, January 05, 2015 5:35 PM
I promised myself I'd work on the cavalier soon, so I put an extra bit of pressure to get my datsun painted.
When the datsun goes to the city to get painted in a proper booth, I'm going to bring the hatchback home so I can tear some of it apart to fix it finally.
It's been really bugging me haha.

Anyways,
Here's a progress picture on getting the datsun ready to be completely painted.
Just need to put it back together now since the jambs are done, and then make sure it's straight and fits good, another coat of primer, and she's shipped away for a couple days! One of my best friends is painting it in a brand new booth.

This summer, when the datsun's my daily driver, I am tearing the motor out of the hatch and building a motor for it. It really needs the power haha (espicially since my DD's going to be a 1900pound car pushing about 230+ whp, It needs to be the faster of the two haha!! )
Monday, January 05, 2015 11:03 PM
WOW the area looks nice a tidy there.The car looks stripped solid and does look neat.I am super tired so short it for now.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 6:04 PM
Cool car there Cody! Looks nice and straight and the copper color looks great. My best friend in H.S. had one just like that for about 6 weeks. I think he paid $50 for it and we could run fast than the car if he had more than one passenger. His probably had about 40HP or less. The only smoke shows he was doing came from the 1 inch diameter exhaust pipe.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search