How to Remove Doors--made easy! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to Remove Doors--made easy!
Sunday, June 08, 2014 9:32 AM
Excuse me while I pat myself on the back for this one, but the irony of the worst wrencher among all of us has cracked the trick for removing doors from our cars just makes me smile.

OK, I've talked about using the pin popper tool in the past, really makes it easy to get that upper hinge pin out; and yeah, that 15mm bolt inside the kick panel is an easy one to reach. But that pesky 11mm lower hinge bolt is always the tough one. Just taking time and patience to work it out with a wrench since you can't get a socket on there.

Well, before winter set in and I took my car to the body shop (quarter panels are awesome, pics coming when I can), I gave up on getting that bolt in my driver door all the way as it just didn't seem to want to go in for me.

Yesterday I was determined to finish the job when I dropped my wrench into the fender (again). Using my magnet tool I fished it out, but also dropped the wrench further forward in the fender. It didn't quite make the sound I expected as it only hit plastic. So forward on the car I go to find plastic at the rear of the front wheel well secured by plastic rivets.

Yup, I removed two of these rivets and had full and unrestricted access to that lower hinge bolt from the other side of the lower hinge pin! Very easy to get the socket on there and job done!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search