1984 Sunbird 1.8L Turbo Air Cleaner O Ring - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1984 Sunbird 1.8L Turbo Air Cleaner O Ring
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:38 AM
The air cleaner on my 1984 Sunbird with 1.8L turbo is located on the passenger side just ahead of the front wheel well. There is a large soft o-ring that helps seal the cover of the air cleaner to the air cleaner body. Mine is deteriorated with age and needs to be replaced. Checked several GM websites and couldn't find it and the local dealer seems clueless. Does anyone know the part number for this o-ring or where to get one? All help would be appreciated

Re: 1984 Sunbird 1.8L Turbo Air Cleaner O Ring
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:11 AM
If you can't get the part anymore, maybe you could custom cut some weatherstripping (like from a fridge door) and use gasket sealer to do the job.
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:49 PM
I seem to remember mine had something that was like foam. But that was a long time ago and I no longer have the restrictive stock airbox .

I have something that you might be able to use. It is a stock hood to air cleaner seal from a first gen z24 cowl hood. You could take an exacto and cut it down to fit.

lmk if you mght be interested.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:41 PM
Let me do some looking around and see if I can get the idea.Being a unique feature I am kind of in the dark and not quiet sure what it like.However I do have lots of parts and spare hood with the z fiberglass style.And I have no plans to let that go for any price.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:27 AM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the o-ring seal. I have a small piece and it does appear to be made from a foam rubber. I will take a look at some appliance seals and also some universal car weather stripping at the parts store to see if I can find something that I could use. Your feedback also got me thinking that a piece of soft 3/8 inch OD rubber tubing with the ends glued together might work. I appreciate the responses.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search