Is your side trim falling off? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is your side trim falling off?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:04 PM
Hot New Slick trick I discovered Fresh from the garage today!!

Several peices of my side trim have been slowly easing off starting at one of the ends. Now everone knows I'm anything but a purest so I'm always snooping around for economical and user friendly!! Not really wanting to deal with the hassle of pulling off the whole strip - removing all of the adhesive tape from both the strip and the car - them applying more tape and praying I get the darn thing back on correctly.

I spotted a super liquid nails at Wal Mart for about $4.50:

Ahh.... nice sounding words like "Exterior" "Ultra Quick Grip" and "Instant Hold" - hey this stuff sounds right up my alley!

Now here is the sweet country boy kicker - Magnets! My personal favorite are the ones I pull from burned out Microwave! There are 2 in each Magnatron!! Go find a dead one and these magnets are freebees!!!

Take 2 (or 4 as in my case) and mash the moulding up against the metal and those magnets will hold the molding in place for you! The Liquid Nails sets up fast and all there is left is to see how long everything stays together. This stuff is way far better than Gorilla Glue ( much more messy!!)

Re: Is your side trim falling off?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:34 PM
One more little tip. I cut up pieces of the sidewall of old worn out tires and use them in between my jack stands and bottom body rail - helps protect the old metal under there. I also take the tread part of the tire cut it open with a circular saw ( a good blade will do the job even on steel belted tires) and once opened up I lay them down along side the fence lines - helps with the weedeating. If the grass eventually grows up around the tire just pull it up and lay it down over that grass - these things last forever!!

Finally got the ole wagon finished up for now and back out of the garage. Nice to have had some time to get some maintance done on her! Sporting the happy summer alloys again this year too!

Re: Is your side trim falling off?
Monday, July 14, 2014 7:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. Gonna have fun redoing the side trim on mine, once i get the donor delivered.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search