My 86 Wagon! The Dragon! - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My 86 Wagon! The Dragon!
Friday, May 06, 2016 6:14 AM
Please pull your cowl and passenger air intake cover and inspect your cowl drain. If clogged you can pull the fan and air intake damper and it makes for easy and effective clean-up. That drain on the passenger side will stop up, the water will back up and run into the air intake and find its way in your floorboard.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=20519&t=20519

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:19 PM
Thank you for the helpful thread Orlen, Went down and pulled my cowl and vent and well i'll let the pictures do the talkin
Attachments
cowl 1.jpg (564k)
cowl 2.jpg (330k)

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:26 PM
so previous post shows a super plugged passenger side cowl drain! The next pics show a heaping handful of wet sand and a pic of the cowl drain nice and cleaned out, now lets see after a few days if that was the culprit
Attachments
cowl 3.jpg (746k)
cowl 4.jpg (196k)

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:26 AM
Great job William!!

It is amazing the gunk that accumulates in that drain. Gotta remember these cars are antiques now the years take their toll.

Glad your firewall didn't rot out on ya!

Saturday, June 18, 2016 6:17 AM
after several failed attempts at trying to find my interior leak i think i might have got it! I noticed the 30 year old seam sealer flaking off all on the inside so i started resealing all the seams. After every rain we had i checked and kept finding water inside the car, so my attention went from inside the floor/firewall to under the hood/firewall. Under my driver side cowl drain the seam sealer was wrote, so i resealed it and presto, last time i went down she was dry inside! Success! with that issue out of the way i began to sound deaden the floor. I found a sheet of unused dynamat i bought for my first car back in 05, threw that on the driver side footwell and hit the rest with bedliner. Kinda nice actually cause i was able to treat the surface rust the soaked sound mat started to create on the floor! its kinda hard to see in the pics but progress is being made! next time i head down its interior reinstall and then i'll begin the pesky oil pan gasket!
Attachments
bedlined2.jpg (351k)
bedlined1.jpg (352k)

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:23 PM
Cool. Those leaks can be a real pain. Took me awhile to find all I had in my 88 too. But boy don't it feel good to see dry floor pans after a heavy down pour.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:38 AM
Long time no post! its been a bananas summer, but ive been ridin my classic wagon with no hiccups! shortly after getting the interior back in her i took her campin down a rutted dirt road, and on the way out i took an extra passenger and all his gear, we were packed like sardines and the ass end was bogged way down, thought i was gonna scrape but surprisingly not! The wagon never ceases to amaze me, she was super gutless on the highway but took her all in stride. Really thinkin all summer long about a 5 speed swap, so maybe when shes resting this winter i may get into that, and rebuilding the TBI and maybe a pertronix electic unit to replace the points in my distributor, but we'll see what happens. here's a couple pics of the dragon out n about
Attachments
Campin2.jpg (584k)
Campin.jpg (639k)
2016-1.jpg (426k)

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:40 AM
One thing i've wanted to do since i got my lil classic is take it to the sussex drive in! Finally got to do that this year and snapped a pic of her chillin infront of the big screen! I also forgot to mention when i was cleanin the interior i found the buildsheet! heres a pic of each!
Attachments
buildsheet.jpg (311k)
Drive-in.jpg (158k)

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:53 AM
William Dugay wrote:...maybe a pertronix electic unit to replace the points in my distributor...

GM hasn't put points in a distributor since 1974...

-Matt

82 Skyhawk Convertible: https://goo.gl/j7R6Cu
83 P/2K Turbo: http://goo.gl/EVKPX6
86 Firenza Cruiser: "Jack-Wagon" https://goo.gl/bWP2uK
87 Skyhawk Custom: http://goo.gl/krdDeU
90 Sunbird GT: "Turbo-Turd"
93 Sunbird Convertible: "FrankenBird"
(and a pair of Cavaliers I'd rather not talk about)
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:31 PM
ya learn something new every day! LOL
Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:30 AM
Hello forums! Long time no post, Ive been driving the beast for most of the summer and about a month ago i began to do the oil pan gasket. Ron Love you were right about everything needing to be stupid clean, i half assed it and after installation of my gasket noticed a line of oil between the gasket and pan. Pans back off just finished cleaning off all the permatex. My question is when i opened the fel pro box the first time 5 gaskets came out, 3 cork and one rubber for the pan, and a circular one. I thought at first it may be a gasket for the oil pickup in the sump, pans off so why not switch that, but now im wondering if its for the oil filter neck? The pan was a pain to get off and on, i thought it was due to my a/c compressor but its actually that and the piece you screw the oil filter onto. Last time i tried to remove it working without adequate light i accidentally dropped 2 bolts out of the engine mount. Can anyone confirm my suspicion of this gaskets purpose, i've been looking around online with no results.

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:35 AM
This is the picture of the gasket set from rock auto
Attachments
oilpangasket.jpg (21k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search