87 2.0 3 speed auto swap with 87 2.8 speed auto - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
87 2.0 3 speed auto swap with 87 2.8 speed auto
Saturday, April 04, 2015 11:04 AM
Transmission in my 87 2.8 has been slipping pretty bad over the last few months and has continued to go down hill. I replaced the fluid and filter in hopes it would make it better. Lucas has been my friend here lol. Anyways the last week its been so bad I cant drive it anymore. So hopefully the transmission out of the 87 yellow sedan I picked up a few months ago will fit. The car only has 147,000 miles on it. Started slipping at about 132,000

Re: 87 2.0 3 speed auto swap with 87 2.8 speed auto
Saturday, April 04, 2015 9:48 PM
I can't say it will or want work with a swap.Being the 2.8 is larger I am not sure if the same in general trans from a 4 cyldr would be a direct deal.I am certain the trans brackets are different but,you would have that already.My suggestion is to start comparing the two for a bolt to bolt comparison as the bell housing may be totally different since the v6 is a lot bigger.I would take pictures top sides and bottom of both and load up on your computer and see if there way off or similar.Maybe rob dotter chime in on this as I really have no experience in this dept.Also check the ID tags on the trans to see if there the same for info purposes.That is my thoughts on a area that unless someone on v624 has some real info one way or the other.Wish I could concur a true answer.I have multiple manuals and even a shop version but,I doubt that would give me any clue.Ok

Sunday, April 05, 2015 3:23 AM
It should work just fine.
The only difference I see in the parts book is the oil cooler lines might be a little different, in some way or other. Or it may just be the book is showing their routing for the 2.0 and 2.8. Anyway, if the lines are different, you should be able to use the ones from the 2.8.

I didn't get too involved in the research, but I feel very certain it will work, just some of the things (oil lines and maybe a mount) might need to be taken off the bad one and put on the good one.
Sunday, April 05, 2015 11:03 AM
They are the same transmission and all you have to do is switch the mounting brackets over and the detent cable. The cooler hoses are the same, but make sure you flush them and the radiator oil cooler out good, to prevent particles from the old trans damaging the replacement. I have done it several times in the driveway with a floor jack.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search