Check in (let us know your on here) - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Check in (let us know your on here)
Monday, August 03, 2015 6:43 AM
ok, grabbed some pics...

the dash and wheel for the 82 Cimarron

the 87 Cavalier RS vert

the 82 pontiac J2000

Under the hood of the J2000

and the 82 Cimarron

I didnt go any further on it as It is currently running and there are some lines that are tough to get back into place, on the J2000 they are kinda just covered for now as its not running and needs some TLC anyways.

Monday, August 03, 2015 10:19 AM
Interesting. I didn't know any J body had wood grain on the dash, especially the J2000. I even forgot they were called that.

So do they feel the same when you're driving them - ride and steering and all - or no?
Monday, August 03, 2015 12:06 PM

Hello all,

Really like the Cimaron dash!

Ron , yes it is a carburetor Rochester Model E2SE

Nobody heard about the trial GM make with the first Cavalier with a turbo...I got that from the magazine Car Craft June 1981,

Have a good week all,

Monday, August 03, 2015 12:26 PM
I see my J2000 in that article. Yes they do ride differently. Havent really looked too deeply into the suspensions of the two but the J2000 rides firm and corners better then the Cimarron. It kinda floats and has a lot of body roll on corners. I know a few corners I can do with the J2000 that I can't with the Cimarron.

I did however find out that the sway bar on the cimarron's are bigger then those on the Z24's. Or so I'm told by my time trial buddy who's dying to get his hands on my spare sway bar.
Monday, August 03, 2015 12:30 PM
I see my J2000 in that article. Yes they do ride differently. Havent really looked too deeply into the suspensions of the two but the J2000 rides firm and corners better then the Cimarron. It kinda floats and has a lot of body roll on corners. I know a few corners I can do with the J2000 that I can't with the Cimarron.

I did however find out that the sway bar on the cimarron's are bigger then those on the Z24's. Or so I'm told by my time trial buddy who's dying to get his hands on my spare sway bar.
Monday, August 03, 2015 10:16 PM
WOW Aaron and Pierre on the pics.Just super to see some not so simple set ups and I wish I could say more.However I am just dead tired and my arthritis in my neck is kicking me HARD today.Just a quick check but LOVE the pics and seeing some cool old pics and information that is unknown to me.Very COOOL guys.I will be better tues or now actually but I had to take some meds for my issue and just super tired after a 12hr day.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 6:49 AM
Yup still here and search the site frequently for Cimarron references. I actually just posted a new thread this morning. Runs great now but I'm sure I'll be searching and posting more as the miles pile on and parts wear out. Some pics for your time!

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:34 PM
Good to see not much changed for the dash in the later years. Need to find front bumper end caps off an 82-83. Rears can be made from a stock cav bumper but the fron is different. Thought of making a model and trying to 3-D print them... thoughts?
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 6:50 PM
Still here myself, but with so many projects, home, truck, Fiero, and of course the Z24, none of them seem to be getting done.

Some one should start a thread of current pics or a "before & after"........or has it been done since I haven't been here in a while.
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 10:43 PM
Very good pics and info to boot.I did some not jbody work today.I started to Revive my youngest nephews 2002 Honda civic as he goes to college this month.NO pics yet but the short version I removed the front bucket seats and steam cleaned the carpet yet again and the seats and floor mats.I then cleaned all of the plastic,door jambs and applied some leather gel conditioner to luster it up,clean the inside glass just well stupid clean.My next not so easy job replaced the headlight assemblies and thank goodness I spent like $30.00 on a new array of body and plastic plugs,for the body etc and those made my job easier.You bet I busted or broke most and just replaced everything with new.Once I take step 2 I will snap some shots of the car as I am trying to get everyone else's cars out of my way to focus on my OWN!!!! In summory the interior is done took like 2 hrs or more and the front bumper removal and new headlight assemblies another 2 to fix or correct some ^$%&*#( up's as the bumper is tweaked and missing the lower splash guard under the front end.Tired Yes but,I have to wash,wax this ride and the paint is going,but Were waiting till dec to take care of that.I also have the dreaded rear struts to replace thurs.Threre blown out.Cv joints,ball joints,tie rods,stabiler links and brakes are fine(whew) so no heavy duty work just as I said already.My focus is get the side projects done then mine are on the schedule when I have time.I am just done.

Monday, August 10, 2015 7:31 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos of those Carbureted engines, really enjoyed seeing them!

Just curious if they are feedback? If so do the have a clicking sound from the feedback solenoid working? Think I remember some of those did that but it has been a very long time ago.

I bet sourcing those oval air filters are an interesting dilemma.....heck I'm discovering the regular round ones are no longer carried on the shelf at the parts stores. Oh well, I guess things do change. Or is it I'm just getting older......Hahaa

Saturday, August 15, 2015 9:42 PM
Went Friday to my local junk hole looking for a civic steelie.While there yes I checked the Gm stuff and not one 1st or 2nd gen to be seen.I want to hit my preferred yard but,I have to tie up one thing on the 02 civic this week replacing a bent rim leaking air.I decided to go New from Honda as I am chasing air trying to find one not all screwed up lately.In short the nephew goes to college on the 27th so,I will get the new rim swap for the old,rebalance and do a simple check of the car I just did a mega clean on and rewash and be done with it for a while.I am really itching to work on some other items,but the smalls come first then I can do as I please.

Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:41 PM
Found this while doing my youtube checks kind of bitter sweet share if know one else has saw this before.

Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:55 PM
CLICK the YOUTUE block in the video to SEE it FULL size!!!!! I def computer savy but,the make bigger (resize) was not working when I rechecked the post.Enjoy.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:33 AM
First time seeing this thread...

I do get on here a couple times a week. sometimes more.

Ron, which one is your 'Preferred yard' and what one is your 'Local' yard?

The two I hit are '109 You-Pull-It' and "Pull-A-Part' off 52 north. I prefer the one off 52 as they have better selection and better organization... and you can take anything...part of things or whole things. 109 prefers you take assemblies... and can be a bit pricier.

Was going to cruise the j/y today, but am getting the X-11 spruced up for a trip to Philly next weekend for a citation mini-meet at a buddy's house.

I'll keep reading and posting!!

Terry

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:49 PM
Just purchased my wife a Lincoln MKZ to drive for the winter..

My first Lincoln and after test driving a few CTS Cadillacs it feels much tighter and larger than the caddy.

Great video on the Cimmaron! Having owned one I can attest to how much more solid it seemed over my Cavaliers.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 5:40 PM
WoW John! 2 Mustangs and now a MKZ? Your 2 Cavaliers are going to be a bit out of place with all the FoMoCo rolling around!

But I think Between Frank and myself we probably have the balance covered with at least a few to spare, Hahaa.....

Saturday, October 17, 2015 11:01 PM
Ok two reponse's here.First my local yard is a LKQ it is in between still messy and has stuff for a good while but MY preferred yard is yes PAP in Winston as far more clean and organized and yes fair on cost.I find the 109 are kind of thieves on the prices.I know I had to dispute the price on a mazda part way back and told the guy,I removed it!! and the asking price is FAR over priced compared to the other yards.109 is a dump and the ground to scour around on is slopped,cars not lifted up and too damn close in spots.Now 2nd comment john is that Lincoln brand New as I assume it is?Between the tired kicking in and my arthritis in my neck def kick my a-- tonight for some reason doing ok.I will say it is not weather effected I think just driving 400 miles did the aggravation.No matter it does smooth out when I go to bed.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:57 PM
Hi Ron,, No real good deal junk yards around here! Seems to be if you catch them on a good day for the old stuff that they do not have a listed price for you can get a good deal. Never heard of a 1/2 price day or an all you can carry day either, for the most part they just want top dollar and don't really care.
As for my wifes MKZ it is a 2009 and we got a good deal and it was well taken care of by previous owner, So we were able to pay cash and therefore no payment (the best part).

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:59 PM
John, maybe you don't have any good deals at the yards, but looks like you make up for it with those great deals you have been scoring on those FoMoCos!!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:57 PM
Ok john on the info.Latest while still focused OK websites I found unique items http://www.classicccarsparts.com and if interested http://www.oldsobsolete.com out long 12 day and 532 miles and a lack of good sleep.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:36 PM
Well today had my 1st break down on this now 3 year ride mower.The short is got the entire back yard mowed then stopped,then it would not move forward!I kind of knew what the problem probably was.I had to push this heavy as cement unit from the back yard to my driveway to remove the deck to see what I expected.Sure enough two of the cheap a-- plastic pulleys were done.One was froze and eat up the other suffered belt drag.I will pop pics thurs.I have just ordered 3 new pulleys and a drive belt for $77.00 total from http://www.partstree.com the very easy way to order lawn equipment place.Boring maybe but,I finished the yard with the old trusted JD as my back up (mil) old mower and done.I have right at 2 acres to mow and Orlen can attest the yard is huge.Hopefullly by end of the month mowing will be done for a few months.Just a non J topic to keep things interesting.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:44 PM
I know I haven't been on here in a while but I'm doing ok. It's been a very stressful year. It started off great with an anniversary vacation to Jamaica with the wife and spending a good part of the first half of the year finishing up restoring my '87 Trans Am. It all went downhill the first week of July. I keep the Trans Am stored at my parents house since my dad has an awesome garage. On July 1st their town was hit with 7 inches of rain in 30 minutes and caused massive flash flooding. My dad had as much as 4 feet of water in his garage. My car was outside with 6 others and was washed on top of a Porsche my dad was restoring. Their property looked like a war zone. So since that day I've spent almost every weekend down there helping with the cleanup. On a lighter note I also purchased another j-body for $200. It's an '87 base model. I'm thinking of turning it into a pro 4 dirt car. I'll post photos when I figure how to shrink the file size.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:31 PM
Just a quick update as I have been searching for a car.The very short story is we were looking to replace the older nephew(21) his 1998 accord with 266k and then give him his younger brother's 2002 Honda civic.Reason #1 his brother pretty much does NOT take care of his car like his younger 18 old brother.Today we bought a 2006 Honda accord lx special edition with 139,000 and a very nice car and yes it needs some mechanical done(uncle ron) will address this of course.I checked the car over tues and met our price range and done.I will do a follow up Friday with a few pictures and the things I will correct.I drove the car back about a 100miles and quiet,handled nice but,needs the tires balanced on the fronts (so far) my low end cost and try that before a alignment and maybe new front brakes at best for the low cost so far I will share.The pads seem middle on wear but,the shimmy on braking leans to balance not alignment so far.I get long winded so bare with me.This is a car even I would keep with the improvements in mind!Yes pics will be Friday.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:56 PM
Hello,
I am her a couple of times a week.
Mostly surching for informations .
Alain
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search