Power Antenna Cimarron - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Antenna Cimarron
Monday, February 01, 2016 11:56 AM
Currently the only thing wrong with my '88 Cimarron is the power antenna. It goes up but only makes grinding noises when it's supposed to come down. I don't even know how to get at the thing. Any suggestions on interchangeability and replacement procedure? I have a repair manual but talking to you guys and doing my part to keep this forum alive seems much more interesting and worthwhile.

Bob

1988 Cadillac Cimarron

Re: Power Antenna Cimarron
Monday, February 01, 2016 12:57 PM
If it doesn't go down, how do you know it goes up?

Since it's making noise, well that sounds like it's trying to go down for you. Back in the day, when these things were popular, I used silicone spray and would spray the antenna about once a month. Mine seemed to last longer than most peoples did. Maybe it just needs a shot of that or WD40?

As far as replacement, I was looking a while back because I have fenders to put on the Hawk that have the power antenna hole, where my current fenders have the fixed mast antenna setup. I have no idea regarding compatibility, but I did pull one from a junkyard and hopefully this spring I will find out if it fits. There was just a bracket inside the fender on which it was mounted.

I think I found some online for over $100, so I didn't even try that route, especially since I didn't really know if it would fit. I just don't see why this is a part that would be different throughout the lineup of GM cars from the same era.
Monday, February 01, 2016 1:08 PM
LOL Wayne. It will go down if you act like an octopus and push the radio's off button while gently pushing down on the antenna. I've lubed it up but it doesn't seem to help. You think if I pull the front wheel and liner I can get to it?

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Monday, February 01, 2016 6:20 PM
That just might work, certainly worth a try.
Thursday, February 04, 2016 2:41 PM
I replaced one on my 87 Cutlass Supreme back in the eighties. Had to pull off the fender. Really was not that bad to do.

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:10 PM
Easiest way will be to pull the fender. Not sure how it is mounted though. On my 82 it is mounted on top of her fender like the rest of my first gens. On my 83 it's kinda frenched into the fender. But only the 83 had the retractable antenna.
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:54 AM
The power antenna is on the side of the fender, fixed mast is on top of the fender; either way I think the fender needs to come off so you can get to the grommet in the firewall to string it through
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:24 AM
Ya I was afraid I'd have to remove the fender. Which probably means the front clip, lower valance, all the plasticky bits, etc. I'm hesitant to remove body panels on an almost 30-year-old car because as you all know these things are getting brittle in spots. Good excuse to get it nice and clean in there though!

Thanks for the info!

Bob

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:52 PM
Don't be too quick to trust me, you may be able to get away with taking off the plastic piece on the wheel well and reach everything just fine. I have a feeling even if you don't have to remove the fender, it might just be easier to do so.

As far as removing the fender, I haven't done that in over 20 years on a J, but the front clip did not have to come off, and I don't even remember removing the cowling to get the job done.

Let me know how it goes though. I will be changing mine to a power antenna from fixed mast and hopefully doing it in the spring. I pulled an antenna from some early 90s Buick as it had a similar look; and there was a bracket to mount the antenna motor to the fender. I can only hope that mount is universal...one way to find out!
Friday, February 19, 2016 4:06 PM
Watch those bumper end caps
Friday, March 11, 2016 12:22 PM
Aaron Agar wrote:Watch those bumper end caps

Ya, I've seen quite a few Cimmy's with missing end caps. Are the mounting points failing or what?

Bob

1988 Cadillac Cimarron

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search