A two-door Cimmaron convertible? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A two-door Cimmaron convertible?
Monday, May 08, 2017 8:32 PM

Re: A two-door Cimmaron convertible?
Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:02 AM
If I had to guess I'd say someone spent alot of time converting a first gen RS Cavalier convertable over with a Cimmeron.
Tuesday, May 09, 2017 11:46 AM
Never a factory option, but there are companies that specialize in custom convertible conversions. This seems to be a very well custom job completed by such a competent shop.

Guess if you got the cash and the desire anything can be done......

Here is one such business:

http://www.droptopcustoms.com/

Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:21 PM
Thanks, guys.
Friday, May 12, 2017 4:59 AM
Here ya go.....https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/for-5-500-does-this-1988-cadillac-cimarron-convertibl-1787968416/amp.
Friday, May 12, 2017 5:00 AM
Roger Noa wrote:Here ya go.....https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/for-5-500-does-this-1988-cadillac-cimarron-convertibl-1787968416/amp.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/for-5-500-does-this-1988-cadillac-cimarron-convertibl-1787968416/amp
Friday, May 12, 2017 4:51 PM
I have seen this on CL a few times over the years and this is probably the most realistic price so far.
I go down to Warwick RI once or twice a month doing contract work so I might stop in and check it out.
Too bad it was not black with a black or red leather interior.

VIN on this checks out as a 4 Dr sedan.

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Vehicle Identification Number: 1g6jg51wxjj500133
Search Another VIN
Previous
Next
Specifications: Vehicle

MAKE
Cadillac
MODEL
Cimarron
YEAR
TRIM LEVEL
Base
STYLE
4dr Sedan
MANUFACTURED IN
Janesville, Wisconsin
BODY STYLE
Sedan

MSRP
TRANSMISSION
3-Speed Automatic
CURB WEIGHT

WHEELBASE
FRONT BRAKE TYPE
Disc
REAR BRAKE TYPE
Disc
STANDARD SEATING
ENGINE TYPE
2L NA V6 overhead valves (OHV) 12V
SEATING ROWS
FRONT TIRE TYPE
REAR TIRE TYPE
Disk
MPG CITY
MPG HIGHWAY

Saturday, May 13, 2017 1:13 PM
84conv wrote:
STYLE
4dr Sedan
It has a Cavalier body and they changed the vin number from the Cadillac sedan they used as a parts car. Not that it really matters,,,, unless someones z24 was stolen.
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:37 AM
John is spot on in observations. He has a lot of priceless combined personal Convertible and Cimmaron experience here!!

Big big give away are the bumper covers since all the Cimmarons I have seen have bumpers that are Chrome Plated - along with the infamous Cadillac Self Destructing Bumper Corner Covers. I've seen all kinds of Caddys sporting gaping spaces where the plastic meant to blend the body to the bumpers has vanished. Horrible trademark. But this project simply escapes that issue by using the Chevy design and it is pretty evident there is a Z24-Convertible used for the base of the conversion.

I was most impressed with the rear seat area of this convertible. That part has a very professional touch to it as the Convertible color and materials match up to the stock Cadillac Sedan theme perfectly!!

2 notes worthy of mention:

1988 Model but no 3rd Brake Light

The whole car itself seems let down by those obviously painted 14" Caddy Wheels. Needs some Bling!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:01 PM
Man Orlen, I guess great minds think the same. Those painted rims and grill really kill the look of the entire package!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:50 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:John is spot on in observations. He has a lot of priceless combined personal Convertible and Cimmaron experience here!!

Big big give away are the bumper covers since all the Cimmarons I have seen have bumpers that are Chrome Plated - along with the infamous Cadillac Self Destructing Bumper Corner Covers. I've seen all kinds of Caddys sporting gaping spaces where the plastic meant to blend the body to the bumpers has vanished. Horrible trademark. But this project simply escapes that issue by using the Chevy design and it is pretty evident there is a Z24-Convertible used for the base of the conversion.

I was most impressed with the rear seat area of this convertible. That part has a very professional touch to it as the Convertible color and materials match up to the stock Cadillac Sedan theme perfectly!!

2 notes worthy of mention:

1988 Model but no 3rd Brake Light

The whole car itself seems let down by those obviously painted 14" Caddy Wheels. Needs some Bling!!

I hate to contradict you but, that is definitely a first gen body which would be an 87 model year or older ( for the Cavalier) , it could not be a 88. It would have to be an RS convertible as the only 1st Gen Z24 Convertibles were made in 1986, and there were only three hundred of them made ( if we could see a pic of the motor I could tell you for sure if it was an 86 or 87) they had the iron headed motor in 86 and aluminum headed in 87.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:54 PM
On a side note, my 1986 Z24 convertible did have those same exact door panels and rear kick panels inside, same color and everything.
Friday, May 19, 2017 8:26 AM
Sorry Roger, as I was referring to the year model by Vehicle Identification Number the vehicle is registered in, not by the automobile body.

Either way - ANY 1st gen Z24 as well as the Listed Vehicle's Identification Number used with this particular Convertible would have had a factory installed 3rd brake light as Federal Government Mandate. The small rear spoiler , and probably the trunk lid are pre-1986 era items.

Doing a little browsing of my personal photo J-Body library , it appears that none of the 1st Gen Z-24 Coupes or post '85 Convertibles even came with a rear spoiler, as I assume it would have blocked that 3rd brake light GM. The Hatchback Z-24s did have a rear spoiler since the 3rd Brake Light was mounted sky high in the top of the hatch lid. Since the Convertibles had no rear package tray GM must have just ran out of ideas and simply decided to rather crudely bolt a 3rd brake light on top of the trunk lid.

I betcha that Hatchback spoiler is even harder to find than a 1st gen Z-24 fiberglass hood!!

This example is such a nice conversion, and I bet the owner probably had a hard time deciding which way to go back there. So the Spoiler won in the end. Just one of those tiny observations you just don't come across rarely, if ever. Kinda fun to look back down memory lane and see what was going on in the 80's, though.

A few photos:

Friday, May 19, 2017 11:47 AM
Hey Orlan, no harm no foul , I would bet that one of the hatchback spoilers is harder to find than gold nowadays LOL. The spoiler was definitely an option, so very rare, but was an option on the Z24 Coupes, this is a picture of my 87 Z24 coupe with the optional Factory rear spoiler on the back. The third brake light is inside the back window on mine. Love your pics!!
Attachments
00o0o_9XqEKXWk5b5_600x450.jpg (50k)

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:56 PM
Thanks to Roger's last photo posted I finally saw something very interesting. All along there was something about this rig that just wasn't right, but as usual for me I couldn't figure out what that was. Just something somewhere wasn't right to me.

So here is what I discovered. It is those tail lights, The way Cimarron worked the lights and those Bling Bling Chrome Bumpers together.

Here is what I am talking about......

Here is the side view of Roger's Z-24 the rear bumper blends right around into the rear quarter sheetmetal....

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/drivin86bluej/06.jpg?t=1495144169

Now here is a shot of John's old Cimarron showing the way the Chrome Bumper cover blends around to match evenly with the portion of the tail light that also wraps around the rear quarter edge - this means Cimarron rear quarters had to be different than Chevy's as well as tail light designs.

And finally the tail light of that mystery Convertible....

Got some more to post but I'll need to get my photos together to share. This at least does show one of the issues involved in a Convertible Cimarron setup! Obviously you just ain't gonna bolt up the Caddy tail lights and go wash your hands....LoL

Friday, May 19, 2017 3:52 PM
This is an earlier tail light 84?
Attachments
Detail-2.jpg (181k)

Friday, May 19, 2017 6:25 PM
Gee Wiz this is getting a lot like dissecting a frog......

Hope John is taking notes, Hahaa, he has had an interest in this for some time.

Ok there are at least 3 different tail light Cimarron designs, who'd thought Cadillac would have spent so much on a little WannaBe!!

Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:51 PM
The skyhawk had three tail light designs, caddy was just keeping up.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search