Happy Fall Everyone! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Happy Fall Everyone!
Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:59 PM
Hi All-

I have been making a conscious effort to NOT be online and spend as much time with my family as possible. Work is crazy - I now work with the teams delivering OnStar and Owner Center capabilities and they don't sleep so it makes for challenging work.

I recently signed up with Grundy for my insurance on the old cars - $458 gets coverage on my 84 and my 94 Z28 for one year. I was pretty happy. My oldest daughter is off to CMU and her Firebird has been home for me to wrench on. I recently retrofitted a power door back to manual and what a treat that was. The 4th gen f-bodies are coming through parts yards pretty strong now. I am trying hard NOT to be a hoarder, but given what has happened with inventory for our first-gens, I am really tempted. When you can get a loaded door for $65, it is tough to argue with the logic.

Been aggressively training for some runs that are coming up. Back down to my "fighting weight" of 175 and have not felt better in years. Body takes longer to heal, and aches and pains as one ages, but feel great overall.

I had the 84 out yesterday and drove it almost the whole day, most with the top down. It felt really good - as always, right up until the end. Ran into an issue when I went to pick up dinner - "No Start" when hot. I put the top and windows up and let it cool off, came back after 60 minutes and it started. I had a issue with this like 6 years ago and thought I chased it out by replacing the starter assy (includes the solenoid that is heat sensitive). Looks like I will be doing that again or heat shielding or something.

God is being really good to me right now with everything in my life - Hope all is well with you!

Re: Happy Fall Everyone!
Monday, October 01, 2018 7:35 AM
Yep - online time can get in the way. Glad to get an update and sounds like great things at that!

I feel your pain when it comes to parts too. We have another 1/2 price sale coming up tomorrow and I am off on a 5 day break - any guesses where anyone might find me? Hahaa.... My parts needs are pretty diverse since none of the vehicles have the same drivetrains or bodystyles, but....variety is the spice of life! But no matter how hard I try - it seems the part I wind up needing wasn't the one I shelved away!!

Families grow up fast and it is so hard to juggle everything with a hectic working schedule. It is wonderful you've managed to keep your pet cars out and about - keeping them running and rolling. I hope you keep holding everything together and enjoy the grand journey you are living my friend!

Thank You for all the tips & tricks you've share along the years! I have certainly learned a lot and it has really helped me keep the old J2000 Sunbird going!

Monday, October 01, 2018 12:06 PM
I really do feel your parts pain Paul.... + =

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 2:11 PM
Good to hear guys

2018 was a good year so far I guess. Wife got a new 'used' car, my aunt's fully loaded '07 Saturn Aura XR, though we learned one reason why you never buy a vehicle from relatives as my uncle has pretty much ruined the experience for us,so much so that my wife almost sold it but she decided to keep it thru winter. the old Saturn SL is still ticking away the miles, 162,500. We went junkyarding and scored some nice SL2 seats and door panels. Work has been more steadier this year except for the drought in July. Garden did good this year, more tomato's this year from less plants, cucumbers did good and didn't get the wilt. Only garden issue I had was with carrots, out of 14 seeds planted only one carrot came up.

Have a good Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas guys.

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 4:34 PM
Good to hear all is going well with you guys.
I'm looking forward to fall. Heck, it is still in the low to mid 90's here (Tampa bay area, Fl). We should start to get some real nice weather in a few more weeks though.
I want to get to work on my 88 Wagon, but it has been too hot to enjoy it, so I've not messed with it. Getting parts together though, so most everything will be ready when the temps finally do drop.

Looking forward to going to NC for Thanksgiving.
God bless you all.
Monday, October 08, 2018 11:20 AM
I have not touched my car in forever.But it stays garaged and up on jack stands year round.I back in july left my company I worked for to work for another still driving a big truck.I like what I do just less money.In short I take a empty trailer 215 miles drop and hook and bring a load back to Greensboro and drop.Super simple,good benefits and NO complaints from me.I have had a lot to just take care of around the home,and detailing cars on the side etc.I once I can set the time aside in the winter (no yard work) I can at least finish the work restoration for the rear end items I have new.The front has to wait as new parts are not cheap buying in pairs as we all know.Other than that I have not logged in a lot this year but,do check the post to see what is or not going on.R

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:49 PM
Just saw this @ Autoweek.com Junkyard Treasure 1983 Pontiac J2000 'Snake'

Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:25 PM
Fall is a great time! Although this year up here in New England nice warm days have been rare.
So my Cav will see very few miles this fall.

Here is the Cav out in the sun for the first time in 2 1/2 years.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 6:06 AM
Well yesterday was beautiful and 72 degrees. Washed her up and top down. First time in the sun with new engine. Lots of fun! Passed emissions testing like a new car. I love my old Pontiacs.
Attachments
IMAG04295 (Medium).jpg (220k)
IMAG04301 (Medium).jpg (225k)
IMAG04298 (Medium).jpg (163k)

Saturday, October 20, 2018 7:47 AM
Philip you Still have to get your car to pass emissions? Here in NC any vehicle 1996 and back only do safety inspections.Once my car is 35 years old I only have to pay for my cars sticker for the tag and taxes on it!! I took my plates off two years ago and dropped insurance until I get ALL of my work done and by then no more inspection BS for a car that is older than most young adults driving today.I personally think any vehicle at least 20 years old in any state should not be required for any inspection.As most cars today on the road are typically new to say 15 years old on average.Granted yeah there would those people who would not up keep there vehicle with the safe things and good general maintenance,but people do that now with cars under ten years old.I did buy 1 ticket for the power ball for Friday and had only two numbers close so I will maybe try again.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:03 AM
Yes, for a regular tag. They have now rolled back the requirement but it will be in effect until their contract runs out next year with the provider. I don't want to use an "Antique" tag and be harassed for driving during the week.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:59 PM
Studies have shown that having vehicle inspection required does not decrease accidents; that is to say in states where no inspection is required (like Florida), vs. states where inspections are required (like Pennsylvania), accidents per 100,000,000 miles driven isn't any higher.
Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:26 AM
State vehicle inspection is just another tax.

When I lived in NC I knew shops that would inspect my cars from their office. Seriously, they just asked you if the brakes were good, all lights working, horn work and that was about it. I even had some where they would check the paper for something like a park light bulb out and replaced, even though they never looked at the car.
5 minutes and $20.00, left with the paper and sticker in hand (they often didn't even put it on the windscreen).

Now this probably wasn't the norm. I lived a in very small town and sorta knew the folks running the shops I'd go to. Most likely it was just they trusted me to be telling them the truth. They also knew I kept my cars in great mechanical shape, having bought tires and alignments done there. And this was long before any emission test were required.

I live in Florida now and we don't have this tax. Heck, we don't have a state income tax here either. Red is good!
Monday, October 22, 2018 11:06 AM
The new cars today are so full of electronics you never know if something going to pop up during an inspection that'll bump you off the road and in many cases there you sit making payments on a crummy car you can drive....more than likely can't afford to get fixed.

The antique plate/ no inspection can be used to advantage when one gets bumped on an inspection or has a major repair to do that is going to take a long time to save up for . It allows them to "park" the car in the yard - still with plates on it free from hassle by the localities. Most all my little fleet is classified antique here and I am able to park 'em and put antique plates on until I can get my plan B sorted out.

Ironically I had the exact opposite happen just last week. Got the Ciera inspected on Wednesday and Friday the muffler fell off. My luck never runs so good. I was able to pick up the intermediate pipe, gasket, muffler and tail pipe for just $75 online through Advance. Sure am glad I still got some time to get this fixed before the cold weather sits in too!

Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:35 AM
Happy Thanksgiving

Monday, December 24, 2018 5:08 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you.I have not really been on here lately.Just super busy and the last two months working 6 days a week driving the big truck.I had yesterday off since I ran a run on sat afternoon late into early sun am.I spent my afternoon working on my Big truck doing some upgrades and cleaning since I wont run again until wed.I will get the most recent picture of my truck posted once I fix it on my computer.Being I spend my entire day in the truck when working I want it stupid clean inside and out.So for my benefit I installed a new Led reverse light (cost $35.00) and installed new air lines from the back of the cab that hook to the trailer,new air tank drain valve and cable(comes as a unit) fixed a leaking air line,and a bunch of other little things.This is my truck to drive only,so I get the full benefit of the work I put into it.

Monday, December 24, 2018 10:49 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Wow Ron, you have been busy. And here I thought I got something done by changing oil, washing and rotating wheels and washing the exterior of my 94. Seems you had nicer weather too. I think the high here was about 62 or so.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year.
Monday, December 24, 2018 10:56 AM
LOL, skip the weather remark, that was from Philip's post a few months ago
For whatever reason, it too me to that post, even though I had already read all the postings in this thread, except Ron's post from this morning.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search