Pray for Orlen! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pray for Orlen!
Monday, September 10, 2018 9:57 AM
Hurricane Florence is heading his way, expecting 20 inches of rain in Roanoke, please pray for him.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Pray for Orlen!
Monday, September 10, 2018 4:21 PM
I'm leaving Wednesday morning heading to Vashti in Alexander county, NC. It is the foothills of the Blue Ridge. I'll beat the storm, but will be there until Monday. I was living up there during hurricane Hugo and even that far inland, there was a lot of damage all around.
I'm praying for everyone anywhere in a the path of this storm.
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:24 AM
butch nackley wrote:I'm leaving Wednesday morning heading to Vashti in Alexander county, NC. It is the foothills of the Blue Ridge. I'll beat the storm, but will be there until Monday. I was living up there during hurricane Hugo and even that far inland, there was a lot of damage all around.
I'm praying for everyone anywhere in a the path of this storm.

Just as bad or worse as Maria Butch, so take cover and stay safe.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:35 AM
More bad news!

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-category-4-hurricane-florence-likely-to-stall-and-pound-carolinas-virginia-for-days/70006011

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:44 PM
Yeah, it is looking pretty bad. I feel pretty safe, where I'll be. Winds shouldn't be too high, but rain may be intense. However, I'll not be in any low lying areas. In fact, where I'll be is quite high ground.
I'll have my video camera with me, so I'll document as much as I can. But again, where I'll be won't be anything like what they will have on the coast. It may be very bad there and even inland for quite a ways. I pray people leave and don't think they can weather it out on the coastal areas.

I might not be able to leave Monday morning as I had planned to, but that is no big deal really. Food and water is no problem either. I just hope everyone will be as prepared. I'll be in a mainly farming community where everyone is well stocked up and look out for each other.

May God keep everyone safe.
Sunday, September 16, 2018 3:23 PM
Looks like Orlen is safe for now, the Jackson river that runs through his town is gone up 2.5 feet to 7.5 but flood stage is 14 feet.

Things could change quick as heavy rain is making a turn towards Covington .

I'll keep you all posted .

Don't know where Butch is staying in NC, things there are bad all over.

Doug in P.R.

Monday, September 17, 2018 9:06 PM
Glad to hear everything turned out good for Orlen.

I'm back in Florida now. The storm wasn't very bad where I was in NC. We got very light rain for a couple days. Some short medium heavy showers Saturday night. Wind gust around 35 mph, but those only lasted for a few minutes. and not very often either. No flooding. Power was off from around 8:00am to 9:15am Sunday morning. Saw maybe 8 trees down when out checking out the roads around the Vashti community. Most of them very small trees. Only heard thunder a couple times. We really didn't get much of anything out of it. Passed up Alexander county pretty much completely. We where very blessed.
Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:50 AM
Thanks for the concerns folks!

Been hanging out , waiting to see the play by play here - but Florence danced all over the place and basically went all around us. There certainly were days we though the worst. Locally where we live - water has to bury a lot of Covington before we get swamped, but we certainly aren't sitting on top!

I think it was a premature bad call by the Weather Watchers - the Hurricane was too far out and too many factors in play. Here we had schools out on Thursday and Friday and no rain or wind, then schools opened up 2 hours late on Monday with the storm doing it worst .They scared the hell out of us showing predicted paths gunning right for us and then talking about stalling out.

I think Ron Love has probably a bad time his way - I have seen videos of flooding in his area. North Carolina floods pretty easily. I hope he and his family are Ok. Poor ole Ron has had some rough patches in his life already and don't need no more!!

I get ticked off watching the idiot weather people standing out in the wind and water as if to show off how brave and bad they are. If the areas are declared an evacuation zone - stay the hell out of there. It isn't fair to the residents to be forced to leave then to have news media setting up shop. Set up cameras - there is way too much technology nowadays available to have to risk people's lives. Here in out area, during the winter - if we are told to stay off the roads during the snow. When people go out there anyway and wind up in a ditch - the cops issue the drivers a reckless driving ticket and no questions asked. I believe the people that choose to stay in their home when told to evacuate should face charges too - IF - they have to be rescued and when members of their family perish. The authorities need to take care of more important things other than saving people that shouldn't even be there to begin with. Just my opinion. There are always areas that people with be caught with their pants down in areas a storm wasn't expected to hit and that is where the helps needs to be centered at - not places known to be a disaster to begin with.

Glad to be A-Ok here - and very , very Grateful!!!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:40 AM
Also just a heads up......

A heapin' helpin' bunch of cars, trucks & SUVs has been flooded all over the place. Prices of used vehicles are gonna skyrocket here on the East Coast as drivers struggle to find something to replace them with. Now on the flip-side - - - LOTS of these flooded pieces of crap will get hosed off and wiped down - and months from now they will be laundered back into circulation through auctions in states where flood titles can get washed clean. So be very careful out there. CarFax cannot catch everything!! There are already a whole lotta junk out there to start with. I discovered that there are states where cars that were bought back from the manufacturer due to the lemon law are regularly auctioned back in circulation - they are NOT destroyed. Brand new cars that are heavily damaged are repaired and sold as virgin new cars without buyers knowledge. Program cars are not actually inspected and really just have an extended warranty. Rental cars are bought by dealers at auctions and sold as "demonstrator" vehicles. The scams are endless - and unless the OWNER of the dealership signs anything into the purchase agreement ( Something they are NEVER going to do) - what ever you have been told will not hold up in court. I wouldn't even believe a car salesman if they told me their name..... Hahaa!! The system has been bought for and paid by lobbyist all over the country - lobbyists of the car manufacturers and dealerships at local state and federal levels. That system is now set up to protect them from liabilities of any kind from lying about any and all aspects of a sale. In short......it is perfectly legal for them to sell you a worthless piece of crap and take all your hard earned money. Once you sign the agreement - it is yours, and good luck getting out of whatever you just got yourself into!

So just be very careful folks. :-)

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:13 AM
Glad to find out that both of you are ok, kinda panicked when they showed the tornados on NBC news last night near Richmond.

Stay inside and stay safe is the motto that all should adhere to, we always did.

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:27 PM
Glad to see that Orlen was spared. just hope Ron L was just as lucky.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:13 PM
84conv wrote:Glad to see that Orlen was spared. just hope Ron L was just as lucky.

Ron lives in Greensboro, ( according to his info on here)far away from the coast. ( middle of the state) Hopefully he is fine.

The only thing I found, is his city sent 2 crews to the coast to help with swift water rescues.

Doug in P.R.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:45 AM
Inland saves you from the high wind and storm water surges. Back in 2011 we got hit with Irene up here in New England and had major flooding from streams and rivers.
Norhern Massachusettes and especially Vermont got hit hard with flooding that was not prediicted and took us by surprise.

One of many you tube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPe7YxbQpY

Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:35 PM
The SUN finally came out in full force for a couple of days and I jumped on the chance and took a couple of vacation days off. I got both the Wagon and the Pontiac out from under the tarps and car covers to let them dry out and get the engines fired up. I have started a policy of pulling the plugs and squirting a few shots of oil down each of the cylinders then hooking up a hot battery and spinning the engines over a few times to build up some oil pressure - then replacing everything and firing them off. I'm so pleased to share both are running just fine and still road worthy. I can't believe how well the Pontiac is running after the head job - replace a whole lotta stuff but it sure has paid off. More rain is coming and going in the forcast , so I will keep my fingers crossed for some more dry days in the weeks ahead!

It sure is fun running around in these old machines

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:18 PM
Hope he had a snowblower, or he may be still shoveling out! How you doing, Orlen?

Doug in P.R.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:55 AM
Hope all the snow melted.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:33 AM
Looks like hardley any snow left, live web cam.

http://www.weatherusa.net/skycamnet/showcam.php?id=435

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:05 AM
Hey I'm still around. Nothin' much new. The snow came and went in a hurry.

Keep facebook running most of the time and found a nice bunch of folks to keep up with on "FirstGen Jbodies" page. Invite anyone interested to join up!

Also have had a blast on " Finding Future Classic Cars" - if you really enjoy all kinds of older wheels there is always something popping up and discussions.

Funs stuff if any do facebook - I know it is not everyones cup 'o tea

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search