BackFire Problem - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BackFire Problem
Monday, April 11, 2005 5:30 PM
Ok, for the longest time my Firenza has been jumping the timing and backfiring when ever I shut it off especially if I rev it first but if I don't you can hear it trying to through the exhaust. What could be the problem? My mechanic says the rubber carburator seal could be cracked letting air in but doesn't want to start taking my engine apart for no reason. Does any one have an idea of what it could be? The engine in a 1.8 OHV thanks for any help.

1982 Olds Firenza S-1.8L auto, not fast but fun it is.

Re: BackFire Problem
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:38 PM
First u need to just go ahead and check every vacumm line for leaks,I recommend replacing them all,I did for about 30 bucks total.Second check the egr valve and make sure it's working properly,to do this remove it and make sure the pintal inside it moves freely up and down,u can clean it with carb cleaner and a wire brush and reinstall.If it does not work rite replace it. Third has the carb ever been rebuilt more than likely its one of the gaskets on it leaking and sucking in air,U may want to rebuild it anyway.Fourth is the catalytic convertor old as dirt,it may be clogged up and causing the exhaust to push bk into the carb with to much back pressure.It may b time for new exhaust at least the convertor and muffler since the convertor blows trash into the muffler and can clogg it up as well.That's a start I would check these items espec the vac lines there probabley brittle and need to b replaced anyway.

Re: BackFire Problem
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:35 PM
The first things you suggested I will do. But as for the cat I can't replace what I don't have and my muffer has no baffles so I don't think thats the problem. The carb has not been rebuilt, and I will sheck the EGR. Thanks.

1982 Olds Firenza S-1.8L auto, not fast but fun it is.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search