How Do You Remove the Shifter Handle (AT) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How Do You Remove the Shifter Handle (AT)
Saturday, July 01, 2017 2:25 PM
I have the console almost out, but I need to get the shifter handle off to do that. I found what looks like a little lever on the front side of the shifter, but I can't seem to make that do anything.

There's also a spring in there I'm sure I have to remove, but how do I remove that without screwing it up?

Getting closer to getting all the carpet out, then to take care of some very minor rust on the driver side floor, then I need new carpet.

Uh...where should I get new carpet?

Re: How Do You Remove the Shifter Handle (AT)
Saturday, July 01, 2017 5:22 PM
There should be a horseshoe clip that comes straight out the front. It is about the halfway point of the shifter handle. You can use a small flat blade screw driver to pry it out. You do not need to remove the spring. Once you pull the clip out, the handle lifts up off the shaft.
Saturday, July 01, 2017 5:37 PM
Oh the carpet.
You can get the best price for Auto Custom Carpets here: http://www.stockinteriors.com/
I've bought carpet for my 88 and 92 from them. Fits perfect.
Order an extra yard if you want to replace the carpet on your door panels and rear package tray area
Monday, July 03, 2017 6:50 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:I have the console almost out, but I need to get the shifter handle off to do that. I found what looks like a little lever on the front side of the shifter, but I can't seem to make that do anything.

There's also a spring in there I'm sure I have to remove, but how do I remove that without screwing it up?

Getting closer to getting all the carpet out, then to take care of some very minor rust on the driver side floor, then I need new carpet.

Uh...where should I get new carpet?

First you need to figure out how the lever is fitted, is clip locked, pin or screwed onto it. If you are not sure, better ask a mechanic to be sure. You should know more about the locking mechanism before you pull it out becuase you might destroy the plastic or the steel.
Friday, July 07, 2017 12:19 PM
Here you go Wayne.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video ought to be worth a couple million or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEPhUqclEM

The auto trans handles do interchange nicely and I have used Pontiac and Cadillac in the Chevys over the years. Currently I have had an affection for the 2nd gen Chevy design, and have used it in a 3rd gen as well as the 1st gen too.

Nothing like a little variety to spice life up a little

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:07 AM
Thanks for the video! I had found the clip but couldn't get the darn thing out.

Too bad it really doesn't show the actual removal of that clip.

I had a heck of a time getting it out, until I took the tiny screwdriver and got it from underneath...came right out that way.
Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:33 AM
Welcome to the club Wayne

We all had our 1st time trying to figure out that little clip too!

Betcha won't forget it next time you need to pop one off though!

Hope you never have to try your hand at the little "C" clip under the 1st Gen steering wheel - that one is a real brain teaser!!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:17 PM
I replaced the steering wheel. Took me four hours to figure it all out, but got the job done. Would've gone faster if I had wi-fi in my driveway, but I wasn't eating up data for that.
Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:09 PM
Did you miss this part?
butch nackley wrote:You can use a small flat blade screw driver to pry it out.

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

The snap ring on the steering column will come right off using a very small screw driver. Well, actually two of them. One to pry it out of the groove a little and one to stick between the ring and the groove. Then just rotate the one between the ring and the groove around a bit and it will pop out of the groove in 1/2 a turn or so. There may be special tool for it, but this method works very well. Getting it back on is a piece of cake.
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:37 AM
I didn't miss the part about the screwdriver, but couldn't get it out until I went from under the clip instead of from above
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:06 PM
The Old School Cool Tool - make that Steering Column C Ring easy to get out!!

The long bolt is shown in backwards for stowage.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:55 PM
Yeah, that tool looks like the deal
Certainly would limit the cussing the screw driver method can cause, when it slips off the ring for the 4th + time while trying to get the second one under it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search