Fuel Filter question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Filter question
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:22 AM
Well I have been doing some searching on changing the fuel filter on my 94 Sunbird here's what I still wonder about.

In this forum that I found in the archives, a guy named Jon M. aka RidgeRunner said to "... . Depressurize the fuel system by pushing on the schrader valve at the fuel rail, then pop the quick-release connector loose from the filter by pinching on the tabs (Keep a rag handy, it'll drip gas all over!) and unscrew the filter from the other line..."

Now my question about this is, considering I dont even know what/what the schrader valve is AND I dont know what/where the fuel rail is. Sooo with all this said, I bought a fuel filter, got in under the car, and changed the dam thing. The only thing is, I just changed it. I never depressurized anything. Is this a bad thing? Cause I started the car up after a drove it and everything seems to be okay to me. The only thing I have noticed... is that when the car is running, I can hear this "wissing" noise (which I am assuming is the fuel pump) that never ever sounded that loud to me before.

Am I in any need to worry about anything here or is this normal? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Re: Fuel Filter question
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:08 PM
Here is what I did last week...

Open fuel door, unscrew cap, then push on the metal plate to release pressure in the tank...

Get under the car with some jackstands, and loosen the bolt on the driver side of the filter (have a cup ready to catch the fuel that will spill out) and remove it. A fairly sized amount of fuel will spill out.

Then loosen the other end. Once again, a fair amount of gasoline will come out.

Reinstall the new filter, by reversing the procedure mentioned above.

Then turn the car to just short of starting it a few times, to let the new filter prime and fill with gasoline. Then start up the car, take it around the block, and keep the wrenches with you in case of leaks.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:35 PM
I pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and the start/turn over the car. That relieves all the pressure. It won't hurt anything if you don't depresurize it but its a hell of a lot safer if you do.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:24 AM
You can also disconnect the plug at the tank and turn the engine over a few times. You still get some leakage when you break the line, but it won't be under pressure.
Friday, June 10, 2005 7:29 AM
The Schraeder valve is a factory service location for checking fuel pressure. It's like a tire valve, but the fitting has a larger outside diameter. But if you don't have a v6 or 2.0 mpfi you can't depress the Shraeder valve because there isn't one.

-->Slow
Friday, June 10, 2005 8:01 PM
I wanna say i did the same with the fuse, but cant recall, it was quite a few months ago, i didnt have to use jack stands though, the car already is too high up!

Friday, June 10, 2005 9:25 PM
well i never depressurize crap at work in fact i know of no mechanics that do that. they only place that i know does that is jiffy lube it's just an unnecesary procedure.

nothing
Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:08 PM
I ended up finding the actual schrader valve after on top of the engine and I pressed it.... fuel came so I am pretty sure I've got it figured out. Everything seems to be working perfect so it's all good

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search