Why dose it do this - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why dose it do this
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:57 PM
once and a wile my 92 2.0 MPFI s-bird. drives fine and at a red light the engine runs like @!#$. it runs rough and has no power and i can smell gas coming from the exaust pipe. it drives but it cant go above thirty. but then it stops doing it all of a sudden. i checked the punp. i just put a new fuel filter. in it i checked everything. than one day it got real bad. me and my macanic friend cheked the ignition system it was fine. he said it is the MAP sensor. we gave it a tap and it has run fine ever since. i am replaceing it on my next payday. can it be anything else. i need to know

you cant go wrong with a $250 dollar car

Re: Why dose it do this
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:16 PM
Some of those symptoms sound similar to a TCC solenoid... Does it only do it after you've been cruising at higher speeds (like 55+)? And is it an auto or a stick?
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:28 PM
That is NOT a TCC Solenoid. I swear, people hear it's a problem on the cars and all of the sudden they think it's the cause of every problem on the car.

A bad TCC Solenoid would STALL an auto car at a stoplight, not make it run rough.

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
1992 Cavalier Z24 - *RIP*
"I consistently feel like something's missing out of the new cavvy. I'm pretty sure its 2 cylinders."
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:29 PM
it is a auto. but i dont get a check engine light. ant it dose it at random? is the TCC solinoid a pain to replace. i hate all this Computer @!#$.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:34 PM
Steve L wrote:That is NOT a TCC Solenoid. I swear, people hear it's a problem on the cars and all of the sudden they think it's the cause of every problem on the car.

A bad TCC Solenoid would STALL an auto car at a stoplight, not make it run rough.

Well, when my TCC starts acting up, it depends if I have to come to a complete stop. Sometimes it completely stalls the car, sometimes it just makes it shake like hell but never quite finishes stalling. Maybe that's cause I'm used to it now and reflexively give it gas or run the light?
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:37 PM
where is the damn thing at

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:38 PM
yea mine has never staled just shakes realy bad.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:10 PM
Map sensor could very well be the problem.. they go bad and can cuase a vacuum leak.
Also remember friends he has a Sunbird not a Cavy, it has a different transmission, im not positive but i dont think they even have a TCC lockup in them.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:13 PM
yea i did the res it dont have one i think it is the map thanks. if this was not my first car and i love her i would have scraped it a long time ago

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:15 PM
in most cases than not the TCC will cause the car to stall but it can also cause it to sputter and idle rough too, just usually it doesn't run that long. most people would pin it on the TCC... never claiming to be a master mechanic myself... I'd definltely say it's a fuel system problem, that can be found by the process of elimination starting with the fuel filter since it's the easiest and cheapest.. even tho you said you just put a new one on. then the fuel pump and exhaust and so on. check your CAI. best case scenario you got bad gas and will have to suck it up til next time you fill up. so if you got bad gas after the new fuel filter, maybe a coincidence but can still ruin a new filter as quick as an old one.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:35 PM
arch wrote:in most cases than not the TCC will cause the car to stall but it can also cause it to sputter and idle rough too, just usually it doesn't run that long. most people would pin it on the TCC... never claiming to be a master mechanic myself... I'd definltely say it's a fuel system problem, that can be found by the process of elimination starting with the fuel filter since it's the easiest and cheapest.. even tho you said you just put a new one on. then the fuel pump and exhaust and so on. check your CAI. best case scenario you got bad gas and will have to suck it up til next time you fill up. so if you got bad gas after the new fuel filter, maybe a coincidence but can still ruin a new filter as quick as an old one.

Not necessarily... My friends Hyundai got some bad gas and it completely tore his car up. $800 to fix all that it screwed up.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:49 PM
wraith, yea I know that too, but I was saying best case scenario. there are cases where it's minor and cases where it's major. I myself had both cases before so I know what you mean. it all depends on how bad the gas was that you got.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Thursday, June 16, 2005 4:09 AM
i dont think its bad gas. i got gas where i always do. i just hope it aint the fuel pump!!!

Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:42 PM
NOPE EGR VAVLE I BET MY BOTTOM BUCK ON IT.

**changes are here**

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:17 AM
i replaced the map and the car runs great. its a ittle quicker.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search