94 sunbird 2.0 Turbo and 5spd swap - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 94 sunbird 2.0 Turbo and 5spd swap
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:15 PM
Thanks, No, I found Chrysler red to be a match. I just browsed the parts stores cans to see which one was the same and that looks almost identical.

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi

Monday, February 24, 2014 4:02 PM
Omg frustrating day, I'll post updates tonight but damn,I forgot to put the harness behind the timing cover and there is no way it's going in.had to cut the wires and I'll have to re run the harness.

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, March 02, 2014 9:25 PM
Sorry for lack of updates, but she fired up for the first time tonight! updates after work tomorrow.

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:12 AM
Is the bumper from a late 80's Cavalier Z24?
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:10 PM
Quick update, until I can get pics, drove the car the other day, turbo is shot, smokes like a banshee, and only makes 1 psi for some reason, didn't really have and in and out play, had some up and down...... 

Car runs AVERAGE..something isn't right, it threw a rich code....I dropped 650 on a laptop, gonna get running software and check what's going on..just about everything is new 

It DOES seem to have more power..hard to tell because of the trans swap, but when I hammer it in 1st it will start to break the tires loose from a roll.

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, March 31, 2014 9:18 AM
Hey gang, updates piling up but no time to post..

I DID however get a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wm2e2vTBOQ

Test drive of turbo sunbird. No intercooler, no downpipe, stock tune.

Turbonetics Super 60 turbocharger. LT3 with arp rod and main hardware, 94 N/A intake manifold, throttle body, and injectors. Mildly ported head. No downpipe or intercooler during this test drive.

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, March 31, 2014 9:18 AM
The T25 was neat because it built boost so low it would roast the tires pretty good from a roll..

This new turbo is BIG for this engine, takes a while to build boost but man it really rips the steering wheel out of your hand when it does. Only been on a few test drives. Got my laptop hooked up to my car so as soon as my downpipe stuff get in and I can mount my narrow and wideband sensors in, I can start tuning.

89 355 s10 blazer
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:56 PM
Great Vid, keep up the progress.............................

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:25 PM
Sounds really good.I know you are not finished but sure is nice to have it back in driveable status! Nice and I have my ride back to a driving status as well.I in short had to drop my tank and new fuel pump,and sending unit as my gauge was out of whack.My story is too long to go thru but I have a post in the 1st gen area if you care to read or see pics.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:54 PM
Holy smokes Ive slacked on updates, let me try to go from where I left off, Slacked off on pics too.

Think I left off on wiring. What a pain in the ass. Hate factory service manuals. So much easier if you have a pinout instead of looking every damn circuit and function up, but anyways hours and hours later...

different throttle body connectors

The quality of wire is much better on the old harness then the 94.. They must have tried more on saving cost and weight with the 94 model

More manual conversion stuff

All new hydraulics, bled out of car.

Mess of interior

Oil pan BACK off again because of the metal I got inside the engine earlier in the build. Cleaned everything back up and re-sealed.

New engine fit way tighter than old. Had to tip it big time to sneak the man trans under the frame rail.

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:55 PM
So Got the engine in. Well, had what I thought was a crazy high oil pressure issue, (ended up being a wiring problem, long story)

but I had the oil pressure regulator out, found a higher pressure spring setup in the turbo motor, ended up putting stock 94 in. Don't know what pressure the turbo one was set for but now it hits around 50 before It bypasses if memory serves correct... High enough for me.

Don't know if it was stock for the turbo motor or if previous owner put it in...

Here is the abomination of brake lines on these stupid abs j-bodys.

Ended up just putting brass fittings in there to adapt it to a normal DOUBLE flare and all the same thread. No more bubble flare and four different thread size bullsh*t.

cut all the lines and re-flared them

Salvaged the stock plug boot protectors

More wiring

Next obstacle.

The stock T25 was trashed. It burned an ungodly amount of oil

Off went the search on the internet for a new turbo...

Ended up accidentally buying one (long story lol)

Was a Turbonetics Super 60 designed by turbonetics for use on the dodge turbo cars such as the Shelby Daytona.

Come to find out a day late and hundreds of dollars short, this was not the most economic way to go as dodge has dodge specific T3 stuff.

First obstacle: Fitment.

Here is crammed stock setup

No way was a bigger turbo going to fit so off went the top of the core support.

Fabbed up a steel BOLT ON core support

Not that it really matters but I tried to at least blend the metal so it LOOKED like it was halfassed supposed to belong on there. Followed the curve.

This now allowed me to set the radiator at least 4 inches forward. Don't think I got any pics of rad mounts. Ill get those later.

89 355 s10 blazer

Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:56 PM
Not to skip ahead but here is my tuning stuff.

Ostrich emulator to allow for real-time tuning while driving.

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:58 PM
Not to skip ahead but here is my tuning stuff.

Ostrich emulator to allow for real-time tuning while driving.

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:59 PM
Back to the turbo.

Was practically brand new the guy said... I decided to tear it partially apart and clean it and inspect, also mic the impellers to see what I was working with.

Next issue, lines.

Spent a bunch on some nice lines, feed and return

Next obstacle:

Fitment again.

First off, I was going from T25 to T3 turbo... Had to buy an adapter to mate the turbo to the manifold.

Secondly, Chrysler just HAD to put their own t3 flange on their stuff. Its CLOSE, but will not bolt up... All the holes have to be re-drilled and casting ground for the heads of the bolts to sit.

Got everything so it would mate up. Slapped the turbo on and my heart sank.

You may not be able to tell but the oil drain was several inches LOWER than the port on the engine.... Knowing there are virtually NO manifold or headers available for these cars I wanted to give up. I didn't want to run a oil pump for something so simple. I also didn't want to fab up a new adapter to position the turbo different.

Also, the exhaust port hit damn near into the block.

Sitting inside on ebay looking for a new header or some way to solve the issue I had an idea. Flip the turbo 180 degrees so the exhaust side was on the pass side, and intake, was now on drivers side, then re-clocking both housings of the turbo and center section so the oil ports were oriented correctly again.

Went out and tried it and it was looking very promising, Only real visual issues was the fact that the turbo was now WAYYY forward, and that the exhaust port was shooting directly into where the radiator would sit.

BUT, the turbo was high enough that it was several inches above my oil drain! I could deal with the rest!

So off moving the rad forward. There was no way the stock fan was going to work. I was going to need a slim 10 inch fan.

Then my buddy hit me up and GAVE me an old flex-a-lite 12 inch fan that was VERY slim.

I don't have many pics really of the new turbo on, but here is one. That red piece is some of the stock intercooler pipe welded on at almost a 90 degree angle of the turbo collector JUST so I could start the engine and see how the turbo worked without melting my radiator hose.

I was very nervous as the turbo was Very tight. Stopped spinning as soon as you flip the wheel with your hand and let go. Ebay seller assured me every turbonetics turbo that was new felt like that.

So I got the rad in, next issue was the exhaust.

Come to find out the hard way, Chrysler ALSO has their own swingvalve housing bolt pattern. (downpipe housing)

Its 5 bolt just like all the others but every hole is slightly different location.

Come to find out I only found ONE COMPANY that made a new housing for that crysler style bolt pattern, it was 200 bucks!

3" v-band.

Now with lines, turbo and housing I have 900 wrapped up in just the turbo!

Now to cool it.

This fan puts out more air than the stock! I was going to run a 10 inch, then run a motorcycle 8 inch fan on the bottom right corner of the rad, don't think I will have to now, this cools just fine. Also I may add another fan later on as you aren't going to have efficient heat transfer for your condenser with air being moved across 50% of it!

Dual fan will help a/c standstill performance a lot.

Onto downpipe

Bummer, go out and I have 4.5 inches from turbo outlet to frame mount.

And a 3inch to 2.5 inch converter pipe and a 90 degree bend have to fit there! Not good!

Unfortunatly I had gotten GAS for my welder a few days after this so I was using nasty flux core wire for my welds.

Bad lip!

Ported

uh oh

Pipe will be shorter in time, but for now this is what im running. I was get some sort of flange to put on the bumper cover for the pipe to run thru

Yes I know the fender needs replaced LOL

Interior disaster before today

That pretty much brings it to current build point. I spent ALL day cleaning out the interior and putting it back together. I will get another update with more pics tomorrow

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, April 07, 2014 1:27 PM
Great job, is that a Z24 lower body kit on a Sunbird?

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, April 07, 2014 9:38 PM
Yes sir

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, April 07, 2014 9:45 PM
You certainly know how to fab things up!Nice updates and this is wayyy beyond my skills and can appreciate.

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:08 PM
When do you want me to swing by and help?

Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:00 AM
Now!

Today I will be hopefully getting the intercooler all in before Easter sunday. Sucker is going to be hard to fit. Pics when Im done.

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:49 AM
Took it on its first highway cruise easter weekend. 2.5 hrs one way. Did great.

Did some more work that weekend too.

It threw the tune off even more.

The beater:

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:30 PM
Can the ostrich do anything about fuel injector sizes or adjust for a 3bar map?

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:47 PM
Nice.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:16 AM
Jamesn - Thanks

Mzspd6 - Yes, the hardware part of the ostrich can allow you to change any aspect you want. The software portion is more a factor. I just changed to code 59 which is a aftermarket version of the stock $58 gm code. It allows for 3 bar map. You can change any aspect of the tune. It also accepts a wide band 02 sensor input into the stock ecm.

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, May 19, 2014 11:45 AM
BTW, i swapped in an na cam. it has a slight increase in lift and much more duration. im hoping it will let me throw a bit more boost into the cylinder.
i dont have pics but my caliper verified it has more lift and my eyes show more duration.

i had like 40 lines all typed up in my thread with an update and info and then i hit a wrong key sequence and closed the page haha. fail on my part. i still have an na cam and a turbo cam if you would like to see.
Monday, May 19, 2014 11:02 PM
Well they call for the same part number in the parts stores...I think all they sell are the n/a cams.... I used the n/a cam, and n/a intake manifold.

Making a tune last couple days...On sunday it was barely even drivable, now its running pretty good, have a few quirks here and there, need to start tuning boost after I get the rest of the tune ironed out good.. Ive got up to 10 psi decent already but haven't gave it much tweaking..

Hopefully I have enough injector, looks like the pulse width is getting way to high, ill see after my fuel tables are pretty close to where they need to be first before I make any purchases.

89 355 s10 blazer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search