How to access plugs at the coil pack - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to access plugs at the coil pack
Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:35 AM
My Cavi is sick. Very sick. But all it needs (as far as I know) are some new plugs and some new plug wires- I know this because one of the wires is making contact with a bolt on the engine and sparking- then I did a mechanics test and put a few drops of water on the sparky wire and it got a whooolllee lot worse- sparks flew, and the engine shook the car across the county because it ran so rough! A few days later, it started to backfire occasionally. Now, its backfiring every time I set off. Bad things. Oh, and if it doesn't backfire, there's a 1-2 second delay for me to set off after I press the gas. (And at idle, the exhaust chugs like a train... normal?)

So I tried to locate the plugs and get to them- at the coil pack, and they're harder to find than Waldo. Note: 1991 had the TBI system, so I do have to move some antiqueness to get to them (I think). My official question: How do I get to the plugs back there? And also, assuming that my car has been running at its absolute worst in 23 years, could there be damage done to the insides of the engine? Should I replace plugs/etc. and have a mechanic check it out or clean it out? I'm worried I've caused some damage by not worrying about the problem until now.

Oh, and everytime it backfires, it smells like something's burning. I've never had a car backfire so... that's normal?

Thanks,
Me.

1991 Cavalier VL- 2.2 TBI
(Were the stock wires orange? Mine are.)

Re: How to access plugs at the coil pack
Friday, March 07, 2014 10:29 PM
The spark plugs are on the radiator side of the 2.2, so what plugs are you talking about?

A backfire is just unburned fuel getting burned in the hot exhaust. With the plug wires doing what you say they are, it sounds like that's the cause of all the problems. Throwing a set of new plugs and wires in should fix it. I wouldn't bother with a mechanic until you tune it up. It will probably run 100% better after that.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:07 AM
I hate it when I confuse people. Let me grab some pictures then I'll be back!
Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:44 AM
you have 2.2ohv? shouldn't be tough to get to at all..
Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:47 AM
Whoops. I said plugs. I english am bad at. I mean the plug wires. Picture attached- I see where the plugs and wires are in the front, but they disappear in the back. Clues to where they are? Should I hop over the the service forum?
Attachments
image.jpg (176k)

Saturday, March 08, 2014 8:17 AM
ah ok ... thats fine lol. but the coil is almost directly in the middle of the back of the block. its a pita to get to though. id look into a coil relocation to make it easier for future work
Saturday, March 08, 2014 11:23 AM
Azncav (was static) wrote:ah ok ... thats fine lol. but the coil is almost directly in the middle of the back of the block. its a pita to get to though. id look into a coil relocation to make it easier for future work

Truth, but IIRC the ICM harness is too short to do anything useful with. Probably the easiest way to access the coil packs is to jack the car up and attack it from the bottom.

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:19 PM
Update: Ordered stock ACDelco plugs and a set of Bosch wires. I'm taking the advice of going from under to find the coil pack so as soon as they come from Rock Auto, thats where I'm going... down under. *Plays dramatic piano chord*

Oh and I'll take pics.

-RJ
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:01 PM
Rion James wrote:Update: Ordered stock ACDelco plugs and a set of Bosch wires. I'm taking the advice of going from under to find the coil pack so as soon as they come from Rock Auto, thats where I'm going... down under. *Plays dramatic piano chord*

Oh and I'll take pics.

-RJ

Stay warm.................................................................................

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: How to access plug (edit: wires) at the coil pack
Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:52 PM
Oooh ooh ooh! I think I figured it out! I was switching out my blower motor today for my A/C and I somehow came across where the wires go! What kinda luck... I'm like 92.3% positive I found 'em. If I'm up early enough tomorrow, I WILL take pictures and let you all know!

I will be happy beyond reason if I don't have to pay $80 in labor for this.

-RJ
Re: How to access plug (edit: wires) at the coil pack
Monday, April 21, 2014 5:13 PM
Change them one at a time so not to mix them up.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search