New Car - Page 4 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Car
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:59 AM
Yes it does work, the wire shown in the picture coming out of it, goes to the wiring for the cruise control, and doesn't affect the wiper motor at all.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:17 PM
FrankD wrote:Yes it does work, the wire shown in the picture coming out of it, goes to the wiring for the cruise control, and doesn't affect the wiper motor at all.

Cool thanks so much man. Will probably order it very soon, rock auto wants $115 for the same part.
Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:20 PM
Hey guys, haven't checked in a while. I was recently given a set of wheels from a newer Z24 Cav. I think they're off of a '99 but not certain. Anyhow they look awesome on the car and they were freebies. I've been given a lot of freebies lately, lol. I'm going Sunday to pickup my '93 for parts. I'm hoping the dash is in fair shape so I can swap them out. Just waiting for Frank D to give me some info on the swap, I know it is very involved but I think the results will be worth it. I was also just given an '05 Cavi sedan. I haven't seen it yet but it apparently has some sort of rust issue but it runs great. Once I get it home It's gonna be my daily driver and I'm just gonna put some work in my '90. My question here today is, how hard is it to swap the center console from a '93? I think in order for the '93 dash to work I have to swap the console. I know there is a lot of useful info on swapping in a 3rd gen console but just wonder if anyone has any info on swapping in the '93 console? Thanks all, Happy Thanksgiving!
Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:24 AM
It should be a pretty straight forward swap. If you're keeping the older dash, you will need to work out something to transition them together, since the later console attaches to the metal frame behind the dash.

The later (94+) engine had a roller profile cam, which is why it's rated higher HP than the early LN2. If you want any type of HP gain, you will need to swap the cam too, which is why I said just swapping the head won't net you much.

Saturday, November 29, 2014 8:14 PM
James Cahill wrote:It should be a pretty straight forward swap. If you're keeping the older dash, you will need to work out something to transition them together, since the later console attaches to the metal frame behind the dash.

The later (94+) engine had a roller profile cam, which is why it's rated higher HP than the early LN2. If you want any type of HP gain, you will need to swap the cam too, which is why I said just swapping the head won't net you much.

Hey thanks for the input. I'm actually planning on swapping the whole dash from the '93 into my '90. That is of course if the dash is in good shape. I haven't even seen the car yet but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. As I understand it, I believe I will have to swap the entire harness.. dash and engine.
I was also thinking about swapping over to MPFI. Not sure what the gain would be? But I think it would be neat. I don't think it'll take too much work but I think I have to change the head and all that good stuff. I would assume I also have to change the engine harness to do that swap.
Also if I do swap the entire dash, will the ABS light always be on? Since the donor car is equipped with ABS and mine is not, I assume the cluster will be looking to the signal? Thanks for all info!
Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:37 PM
If you swap to multiport, you would gain 3 more injectors and that's about it. The big HP gains in the LN2 come from the cam (and then sequential injection in 96).

The cluster has nothing to do with ABS other than holding the light bulb. There are no "brains" in the cluster for anything. The ABS system has it's own module that controls the light. It's been a while since I've looked at the wiring diagram for it, but if the module isn't there (even if the wires are) the bulb shouldn't come on.

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 6:58 PM
James Cahill wrote:It should be a pretty straight forward swap. If you're keeping the older dash, you will need to work out something to transition them together, since the later console attaches to the metal frame behind the dash.

Thanks for the info again Mr. Cahil, The idea of MPFI was really just for fun I guess but I more than likely won't do it. I just had to replace the injector in my Cavi. She was out of commission for a couple of days while I waited on it. Also went ahead and replaced the throttle body gasket and the TPS. The TPS was free so why not? I was killing me not to be able to drive her, lol. Also back to the dash idea, It turns out that the dash in the '93 isn't in the greatest shape, but mine isn't either, so I suppose it wouldn't be a total miss if I went ahead and swapped it, then perhaps one day in the future I can find a better one and all the hard work will already be done. I was thinking about swapping the seats in too. The '93 is a sedan so the front seats don't have the little lever to lean them forward but after I get my '05 on the road I won't be hauling anyone in the back seat anymore. The seats in the '93 are grey and not as worn. Mine literally have purple spots from fading.
Well I think that's all I have to say today, Thanks again for the help!
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 7:39 PM
Brandon - you ought to be able to swap the seat hardware out to make the Sedan seats fold forward for a Coupe.

The hardware simply bolts on with 4 bolts after removing the plastic trim,but the Coupe has a cable that allows the read passenger the tilt the seat forward and move all the way forward from the rear. That cable hooks to a small lever located in the seatback so you probably wont be able to have that feature on the new seats.

Don't feel too bad you aren't alone. My 2nd Gen too is down till after the 1st of the year suffering a leaking head gasket - common problem on the aluminium head engines. I've had my 1st gen with the cast iron head 12 years now without any major engine problems.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 4:43 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:Brandon - you ought to be able to swap the seat hardware out to make the Sedan seats fold forward for a Coupe.

The hardware simply bolts on with 4 bolts after removing the plastic trim,but the Coupe has a cable that allows the read passenger the tilt the seat forward and move all the way forward from the rear. That cable hooks to a small lever located in the seatback so you probably wont be able to have that feature on the new seats.

Don't feel too bad you aren't alone. My 2nd Gen too is down till after the 1st of the year suffering a leaking head gasket - common problem on the aluminium head engines. I've had my 1st gen with the cast iron head 12 years now without any major engine problems.

Thanks Orlen, good to here from you again. My Cavi is up and running again, probably better than ever now. I hated not being able to drive it. Also that's some good news, I had no idea I could swap the hardware around. The seats in my car don't lean forward like they should anyway but I'm sure that can be fixed.
I had another quick question, how hard is it to install cruise, is it possible at all? What all would I need from the donor car? Thanks again Orlen, always like to hear from you.
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 6:10 PM
The cruise question is probably a bit complicated - will take better minds than yours truly. I do know my 86 and 94 both have it. The 86 has the traditional speedo cable while the 94 is electronic. Don't know exactly which year the cable type bit the dust.There has to be speed pickup sensor regardless the type. There is also a cut off switch at the brakes that disengages the cruise when you slow down.

Ironically I don't use the cruise much since I live in the mountains. I actually disconnected the converter lockup in both 1st gens because of the low horsepower and the mountains caused the cars to loose too much speed before the lockups were forced to cut out. Our 3rd gen ('98) has the 4speed automatic with the lockup and it is maddening pulling the mountains in the thing on the highways. The transmission kicks in and out of 3rd - 4th and disengages the converter along the way - back and forth.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 8:29 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:The cruise question is probably a bit complicated - will take better minds than yours truly. I do know my 86 and 94 both have it. The 86 has the traditional speedo cable while the 94 is electronic. Don't know exactly which year the cable type bit the dust.There has to be speed pickup sensor regardless the type. There is also a cut off switch at the brakes that disengages the cruise when you slow down.

Ironically I don't use the cruise much since I live in the mountains. I actually disconnected the converter lockup in both 1st gens because of the low horsepower and the mountains caused the cars to loose too much speed before the lockups were forced to cut out. Our 3rd gen ('98) has the 4speed automatic with the lockup and it is maddening pulling the mountains in the thing on the highways. The transmission kicks in and out of 3rd - 4th and disengages the converter along the way - back and forth.

Hey, thanks again Orlen, I was just curious.
I had recently asked FrankD what all was involved in doing a dash swap, he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I assume he's a busy person so maybe someone else can lend me a hand. I'm wanting to swap in the dash from the '93. I know the dash harness will need to be changed and I think the engine harness may have to be changed, but not certain. They are both 2.2 so maybe not? If the engine harness from the '93 even work on my car? Mine is TBI and the '93 is MPFI. I assume I will also have to change the duct work? I'm pulling parts this weekend and then the car is going to the junk yard monday so I'm hoping for as much info as possible so I don't let anything slip away. Thanks all for the help!

Thursday, December 04, 2014 6:54 PM
Hey guys. I'm removing the transmission from the '93 this weekend. I've never removed a tranny and I'm hoping for a little guidance. Do I really need any special tools? Any pointers would be great..
Thursday, December 04, 2014 7:22 PM
Never had to "drop" one - but have been advised they come out easier than they go back in!!

Axle shaft puller might set ya back a little but are very handy when removing those axle shafts!! Don't use mine often but cherish it every time I open the box!!

Friday, December 05, 2014 1:08 AM
Brandon Scheuvront wrote:Hey guys. I'm removing the transmission from the '93 this weekend. I've never removed a tranny and I'm hoping for a little guidance. Do I really need any special tools? Any pointers would be great..
Here is a video of removing one from a Gen III car. Much of it will be the same or very similar for your car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ByeT3KeGA
Friday, December 05, 2014 3:22 PM
Brandon Scheuvront wrote:Hey guys. I'm removing the transmission from the '93 this weekend. I've never removed a tranny and I'm hoping for a little guidance. Do I really need any special tools? Any pointers would be great..

The control arm sub frame is longer ( radiator support to the firewall) 4 bolts plus 2 for the swaybar bushing bracket.
The trans mount is smaller and includes a dogbone one also.
Use a engine hoist and a chain to hold the engine.( Hood removed)
Spray paint your lower strut mounts to spindle area before you remove the two bolts to realign your car close when reassembly.
Coat hanger your calipers to the springs to keep them out of the way.
Axles come out with a big pry bar.

Took me a day and a quarter with some air tools , check my album pic pages on the Pontiac Forum .http://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/album.php?albumid=130

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, December 05, 2014 3:28 PM
Link didn't work ......................... 92 Sunbird LE on www.Pontiacforums.com

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, December 05, 2014 3:31 PM
butch nackley wrote:
Here is a video of removing one from a Gen III car. Much of it will be the same or very similar for your car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ByeT3KeGA

Thanks so much for sharing that butch, lol. That will help a great deal. I am by no mean an excellent mechanic but I can turn a wrench, I've done rear ends, brakes, heater cores, rads, bearings, hubs, plugs, wires, injectors, I can change a head gasket if need be. But there is also a lot that I am completely clueless about. Obviously this tranny is one of those things. I don't really care about messing anything up as the '93 is going to the crusher after I pull the tranny but still. I know a FWD is harder than a RWD and I'm a little overwhelmed. However, I learn by doing, this time last year I was completely clueless about brake work. After I do it once I'll never have a problem again, and I have a very high success rate. Typically if I don't know how to do something, I just try it and I learn as I go. So far its been a huge success.
I do have have another quick question. Will the steering knuckles directly swap over? I noticed the brakes for the '93 are larger and I can order Thermoquiet pads for the '93 and not my '90. So want the calipers. I assume I have to have the knuckles to swap them over. Do I have to change the struts if I change the knuckles? I believe my hubs will be the same.
Friday, December 05, 2014 4:44 PM
Also, just wanted to ask, Mr. Cahil, is your Cavi a base? What's up with the headlights? BTW thanks for your service.
Friday, December 05, 2014 6:05 PM
Here is an article on the brake upgrade.
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/brakeswap
Saturday, December 06, 2014 11:55 AM
butch nackley wrote:Here is an article on the brake upgrade.
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/brakeswap

Thanks for sharing that.
I started to remove the dash in the '93 today bu, I can't really figure it out? I've got the glove box, center console, HVAC controls, cluster, etc out but I cant really see any bolts, any help would be great
Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:02 AM
Hey fellas, been a while. I got the dash out and what not. Anyhow I was just wondering where the oil filter is? Gonna try to change the oil today. Is it in the same location as the third gens?

Saturday, December 27, 2014 7:46 PM
Yep, under the Intake Man. .

I bitch every time I change the oil on the ole Ladys '98. I got quite spoiled with my 2 1st gens with the filter behind the passenger front wheel. Hahaa,....then I just had to get a '94 with the filter under the intake too!

Sunday, December 28, 2014 11:03 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Yep, under the Intake Man. .

I bitch every time I change the oil on the ole Ladys '98. I got quite spoiled with my 2 1st gens with the filter behind the passenger front wheel. Hahaa,....then I just had to get a '94 with the filter under the intake too!

I figured, that sucks... I changed it on my '02 when I had it. Luckily the dumbass before me did not tighten the oil filter.. It was literally not even hand tight. Lol no wonder it leaked oil when I got it. Thanks for the info.
Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:50 PM
Previous owner probably had oil changed at the corner 5 minute lube shop........

Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:48 PM
Hey there again fellas, not too much has happened lately, I put the car in a ditch the other night. There is no visible damage but it feels like my life
Passenger tire us flat when I hit about 30 mph. I'm thinking it's the hub because it seems to still be in line and I'm not losing any air. So pretty sure it's just the hub. This Saturday I'm going to replace the outer tie rod ends, and ball joints on both sides as well as the hub on the passenger side.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search